Any suggestions for those docking at 2pm?

yearnin4cruisin

We like this stop for the history but don't want to be traipsing around in the dark when you can't see anything. All of the shore excursions leave right after we dock so we can't take more than one. I'm willing to do a private tour -- it just sounds like that isn't much to do after five. Food and shopping aren't a priority. Thanks.

All I can say is this ship seems to be late into Boston a lot.. we were late by 1.5 hours two years ago and there were late sailings last year!! We had a tour planned witih ship and didn't get to do it all (Kennedy Library and John Adams house) and were disapppointed bec. it was a good tour.. they did refund a little money..

Plan on being on time and have a back up.. oh, and Fanueil Hall closes earlier on Sundays

Our ship doesn't arrive in Boston until 2pm. We're planning on doing the Freedom Trail but there will still be hours left to fill in port. We need to be back onboard at 930pm. Any suggestions for things that are still open after 5pm?

Yearnin,

we are on the same cruise. Come and join our roll call!

• 1 month later...

Here's one suggestion: The brand new Institute for Contemporary Art is a 5 minute walk from the cruise dock and is open on Sundays until 5 pm. After your visit there, hop a cab for a 10 minute ride to the Museum of Science and get on the Boston Duck Boat tour. You ride in a WWII vehicle that does about an hour tooling around the sights -- no getting off, though -- and then at the end splashes into the Charles River. The last tour of the day is around one hour before sunset, so I bet in September you could get one at 6 pm or 7 pm. I think the whole trip takes around an hour and a half.

If for some reason your cruise ship is late getting in, you could just skip the ICA and just do the Duck Boat. Check out http://www.icaboston.org for information on the museum, and http://www.bostonducktours.com for the tour. It is a blast!

Tickets sell out fast, though, so you would have to book in advance.

Archived