4a cabin - bad deal - 4 ppl-ship Victory

vesw01

I was wondering about space for the cabin 4a - I understand that they are all the same size, but 4 ppl in the room - ages 84, 2, 11 and 33 (grandmother, granddaughter and great-grandkids).

I read on one post there may be a way to get upgraded, but our TA doesn't seem interested in helping (just wants the commission) and I did all the leg work.

Any tips or suggestions?

You can be upgraded if you booked a guarantee cabin, which means that you would not know what your room number is until you arrive at the pier. If you have booked a specific cabin, your chances of a free upgrade are slim to none.

If you have purchased a specific cabin and are wanting to be upgraded, you will either need to see if your travel agent can transfer you into a guarantee or simply pay the price difference and upgrade yourself.

First, Loose the TA.

Well, I know you want to save money, so I suggest, YES, all 4 of you in the same cabin. The 2 additional guests are only $299 vs. $599.

You can purchase a guarantee cabin of 4A. This will ensure that you get at least a 4A cabin, but you could get upgraded to as high a category as a 4G. You're gabling a bit, but many of us think it is a good gable.

On the other hand, does your 84 year old need to be near a elevator? You may want to book a specific room if so. Otherwise, if Grams is in good health, go for the guarantee.

Carnival has some free upgrdes going on on some of those cruises. Check out their sight. Also, give them a call.

We got booked a room in the middle of the ship and the bottom level. Our Travel Agent thought it was a good room assignment and said I shouldn't ask for the guarantee .................. HELP

When you say gamble - what is the worse thing that can happen?

I have done 5 in a inside cabin on the Sensation- It is very doable. But what is the price difference from the 3rd and 4th compared to the 1st and 2nd? if its only a matter of a few bucks spring for another cabin.

Did you book a 4 gauarantee?? or did the agent book you into a cabin?

But if fitting all four in the cabin is your option- bring along an over the door shoe holder to keep your cabin neat and organized. Space will be a premium. All that stuff that one accumulates in a week can stay organized. There is counter space available but imagine 4 peoples clutter on the space. the shoe holder keeps everything together.

I agree on the lose the TA part but put that on hold for a minute. Not long, just a minute.

Call that TA and ask how much to be in 2 1A insides if available. 85 and 33 can take the lowers and the kids the uppers and have one heck of a time. Compare the price of two 1A's to all 4 of you in a 4A. I bet its not much more if its available .

As Serene noted above, you CAN do all in the same cabin, maybe eve more, but with 85 being one of them I'd at least explore the notion of two cabins. You'll get twice the storage, two bathrooms, and more privacy

...oh wait, one is 2....ok maybe think about running that 2 year old up a ladder for a minute too.

Bad idea. (thinking with fingers again) Sydney says might be fun to see how high 2 year old bounces when falls out of bunk.

LOL, make that compare two of the lowest category insides without upper/lower berths ...still the extra price might be worth it if its not too much

On the upgrade thing?

If you really want one bad you need to be in an inside guarantee cabin, not an assigned one

That's the stuff your TA should be helping you with and a good reason to give them the boot if they won't entertain you on this topic

(IMHO)

If you are worried about the size of the cabin being upgraded will not help at all 4 a,b,c,d etc are all the same size. There are some advantages to being on the lower deck in the middle of the ship....... less rock and roll, quieter and probab;y better elevator service. Unless you are upgrading to an outside (for the window) or Balc cabin you should not worry so much about upgrade IMHO

What about a balcony cabin? Though you don't get anymore square feet in the cabin, you will have some "breathing" space having that balcony to hang out on when others are getting dressed etc. :)

The Victory has rollaways- you may get 2 beds on the floor and a pull out. Or you may get two beds and a cot. I dont think the insides have sofa beds.

But you may get upgraded to an ocean view...same way there. But there are sofa beds in oceanviews.

Bad idea. (thinking with fingers again) Sydney says might be fun to see how high 2 year old bounces when falls out of bunk.

(IMHO)

Well.. I am 32 yo mother and never sailed Carnival yet so I don't have any ideas about cabin set up but... I would hate to see my 2 yo (even my real 12 yo) falling from the bunk.

I would definitely sleep on the second level myself and hope I won't fall down. ;)

It depends on the ship what I would do.

First off, with 4 in an inside cabin you should know a few things. make sure you have a guaranteed cabin assignment and that has 2 upper berths. Carnival has roll aways beds that means everyone will be walking over each other trying to get to the bathroom at night. Some of the roll away beds do not raise up and are more or less a sled with a mattress on top, perhaps not the best for the grandmother in this story!

If you are traveling in Holiday or Fantasy class ship, perhaps a second cabin is the way to go, 1 regular outside and a 1A. Destiny Class or bigger, the regular outside cabins without a balcony are huge! the balcony space is added to the cabin, the sofa is really the size of a twin bed, you still have the 2 lower beds and if you get a cabin with one upper you'll be all set. That's what I would recommend, the insides are tight for 4 in all classes of Carnival ships IMHO.

It actually sounds like your TA may have been giving you good advice. With the age of the oldest member of your family she may have felt that being midship would be the preferrable location. As someone ielse said, moving to a higher inside will not give you more space but could put you all the way foreward or aft and she'll have to walk more. Sometimes I advise people one way and sometimes another way when it somes to guarantees. It can work really well or can give you a pretty bad room. You may also still be on the lowest deck but in the corner somewhere.

I had a client come to me a few weeks ago and demand that I get her a free upgrade to a balcony because she had booked an 4A gty and she read on one of the boards that if I were a decent TA I should be able to get her at least an 6A and maybe a balcony and she would settle for no less. I tried to explain she should book the least category that she could be happy with. I said I would try but not to count on it as it probably won't happen. She cancelled to go somewhere else. A few days later she called and wanted her cabin back at the same price we had because the new price had gone up almost $200 on the 4Agty!

People are sometimes looking for getting tht something for nothing. Sorry to hear that client lost out big time--maybe now they will read between the lines. Sure--some cruises you can get a 4a gauarantee and wind up on a balcony on the Lido but those cabins are far and few inbetween.

Archived