Jewel balcony peep show

agpotter

I think NCL was more than fair with the couple. NCL gave them a 25 percent future cruise credit, which totaled $524. All for what? Because the couple was stupid enough to keep their drapes and balcony door open. Personally, I don't think they deserve anything, but NCL did the right thing as a goodwill gesture and from a public relations perspective.

How stupid of the couple!! For crying out loud, close the drapes or don't be surprised when someone can see in. (and besides...why would you be looking at the view out the window then anyhow:D )

What about if the ship is in port next to another ship. I was on the Dawn in an 11th floor balcony in June and a very large RCCL ship was docked in the next berth. We waved to people on their balconies on that ship and you could see right in those windows too! (same was true of a Princess ship in Victoria in 2005)

Wanting compensation for violation of privacy on a cruise ship is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. What a fool.

Damn, I am sailing on the Jewel in a couple weeks and this is great advice.

I will of course be leaving my drapes open during every intimate moment possible because I can use any future cruise credits I can get~!

The harder part might be convincin the wife on the merits of the strategy......

I also think NCL was fair. Honestly, if it happened to you, would it truly ruin your whole cruise? I agree it would be embarassing, even mortifying, but it is one moment out of a whole cruise and to expect 2 free cruises out of it is excessive.

In my opinion, NCL was generous. They could have offered a free dinner at Le Bistro and that would have been generous. They were notified maintenance would happen and whether they read the notice or just ignored it, that doesn't entitle them to anything. You want complete privacy close your curtains.

They were very generous. This is one case where the cruise line could have said "You cannot be serious?!" Alas, cruise companies are probably the last bastion of civility in the travel industry when it comes to trying to placate the customer.

Glad you guys enjoyed the article.

Anita

First, most of us caught like this would never even mention it, must less make a fuss for fear that our friends and relatives would hear of it and kid us about getting caught.

Couple this with the unreasonable demands made by this couple makes me believe that not only did they get a letter, they set this up to scam the cruise line by being the injured party believing they could get the free cruises.

Getting caught with your drapes open in port, no matter how high up, is no grounds for compensation.

Guest BeckyThane

DH and I sailed on the Dawn 12/28. On 12/31 we docked in St. Thomas directly behind the Serenade of the Seas. Late in the day I returned to the stateroom to get ready for the NYE festivities, thinking nothing of leaving the balcony curtains and door open. After all, someone would have had to have a telescope to get "lucky" enough to see me, right? Wrong! I had just opened the bathroom door after taking my shower and what do I behold? The Serenade backing out of the her slip, with balconies full of waving passengers, nearly close enough to shake hands with! :eek: Thankfully, I saw the back end of the Serenade just before it passed my cabin, followed shortly by the entire rest of the ship with all those waving passengers. I stayed hidden behind the door, waving back. :p Lesson learned!

I had to laugh at this story. Embarrassing? Heck yeah! Worth 2 free cruises in the future for the pax stupidity? NO WAY! Honestly not even worth giving them the 524 in future credits. They should have gotten nothing. I concur with a fellow poster about them possibly scamming the ship for free cruises. I smell a rat...or two.

Besides, pulling the drapes...don't forget to put the DND sign on the door. That's DO NOT DISTURB...I use it all the time on a ship. Actually, when I arrive that first day, I turn the dial to DND and leave it that way till I disembark. That way I have no intrusions WHATSOEVER throughout the whole cruise. I also do this when on vacation in hotels. I know it's the maid or stewards job to make the bed, clean the room, etc, but I think I can keep my own room relatively neat during my short stay. If I need towels or anything, I just get them from the cart that usually is in the hallway at one point or another.

And yes, in case anyone is wondering, I do leave a tip at the end of the stay!

LOL! That almost happened to DH and I while on the Spirit the other week. We were enjoying being together in our cabin while in port, curtain closed all except about one foot of it open. All of a sudden DH says "Oh, ****!" and I look up and see the back end of the trolley going by. :o :p

No, the maintenance guy didn't stop, he didn't leer, and we had been warned several days before about maintenance being done when the ship was in port. It's just that since they'd already cleaned our balcony a day or so before we really didn't expect them to be going by again! Thank goodness the curtain was mostly closed.

No harm, no foul as far as I'm concerned.

Teri

Damn, I am sailing on the Jewel in a couple weeks and this is great advice.

I will of course be leaving my drapes open during every intimate moment possible because I can use any future cruise credits I can get~!

The harder part might be convincin the wife on the merits of the strategy......

I don't suppose this would work in an inside cabin:rolleyes:

That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard lately. You leave your drapes open when you are in a compromising situation, and you deserve what you get. And I agree that you are not "enjoying the view out the balcony door" when you are making love. Sounds like a set-up to me. I don't think they should have gotten anything!

Personally, I think the only thing they could take issue with was the maintenance man "leering" in at them instead of just doing his job. Tempting though it would be to peep, that's not what he was supposed to be doing.

That would be my only complaint to the cruise line if it happened to us. I'd figure it was our own fault for leaving the curtain open.

We had a maid walk in on us once in a hotel. Apparently we didn't hear her knock.

That was awkward. :rolleyes:

The maintenance man leering? Give me a break...................

I'd hazard a guess that he was just as (if not more) embarrassed than the couple:eek: .

No way should they have received $524 in future cruise credits - I wonder what will "happen" to this couple on their next cruise which will be significant enough to demand 3 fully paid cruises?! IMHO he should have received zip, nada, nuttin honey!

Just when I think I've heard everything...............I don't see any mention of this couple accepting responsibility for being dumb enough to leave both door and drapes open - what about the maintenance man's expectation of being able to do his job without worrying about being accused of leering, huh?

DH and I sailed on the Dawn 12/28. On 12/31 we docked in St. Thomas directly behind the Serenade of the Seas. Late in the day I returned to the stateroom to get ready for the NYE festivities, thinking nothing of leaving the balcony curtains and door open. After all, someone would have had to have a telescope to get "lucky" enough to see me, right? Wrong! I had just opened the bathroom door after taking my shower and what do I behold? The Serenade backing out of the her slip, with balconies full of waving passengers, nearly close enough to shake hands with! :eek: Thankfully, I saw the back end of the Serenade just before it passed my cabin, followed shortly by the entire rest of the ship with all those waving passengers. I stayed hidden behind the door, waving back. :p Lesson learned!

becky,

i was on the serenade,you were`nt that quick, it`s nice to put a face with the rest of the picture, thanks,

george

The maintenance man leering? Give me a break...................

I'd hazard a guess that he was just as (if not more) embarrassed than the couple:eek: .

No way should they have received $524 in future cruise credits - I wonder what will "happen" to this couple on their next cruise which will be significant enough to demand 3 fully paid cruises?! IMHO he should have received zip, nada, nuttin honey!

Just when I think I've heard everything...............I don't see any mention of this couple accepting responsibility for being dumb enough to leave both door and drapes open - what about the maintenance man's expectation of being able to do his job without worrying about being accused of leering, huh?

watchdiva,

The couple refused to accept responsibility. They truly believe that they were violated and that they should be allowed to keep the curtain open. As for the maintenance man; as we are all aware most of these kind folks work hard and are at sea 8 months straight -- you can imagine what he must have went through. Was it "leering" or just plain shock. I tend to think it was shock and just bad luck.

Anita

Guest BeckyThane
becky,

i was on the serenade,you were`nt that quick, it`s nice to put a face with the rest of the picture, thanks,

george

ROTFLMAO!!! :D

Now George, I know that can't be true, or you'd be blind now. :p

This "gentleman" was probably the same guy who sued McDonald's for coffee that was "too hot." Geesh!

I too, think NCL was more than generous in its offer of compensation. OK, so it was embarrassing.. but now he's made it even MORE embarrassing by telling the NCL staff about it, and being on a national website! Instead of one person knowing about it, now thousands or more know about it!

The maintance man will never see "the gentleman" again... so... what's the big deal?

Anybody stupid enough to make whoopie with the curtains open in port deserves to be the joke at the next cocktail party! Or... I wonder if he was "smart" and set the whole thing up just to try to milk some freebies from NCL?

I would almost think that the maintenance men have seen it all 100 times, so why bother leering at anyone!

Hmm...inside cabin? You could ask for free cruises because the people next door could hear you in the bathroom, or hear you getting busy. That's got to be an invasion of privacy for sure! And definitley in a room with an adjoining one!

Yep, it's the same guy that sued McDonalds for hot coffee...

Archived