Advice on Shore Excursions

JK's Mom

We're travelling on the Spirit March 10th with stops in St. Thomas, Torotola, and Samana.

We'd like to book some shore excursions, and I've read that when the ship is not docked, it is probably better to book the excursions through the cruiseline.

Torotola:

I'm wondering if anyone has booked the "Beach Break", "Best of Tortola", "Tortola Sight and Swim" or "Jost Van Dyke Escape"? All of these are in the 4 hour range and include some time at the beach. We're travelling with 4 teenagers and 1 eleven year old so defintely want some time at the beach.

Samana: I know people are complaining about this stop, but I've also heard that Cayo Levantando beach is quite nice. Has anyone booked the "Beach Escape"? It's 4 hours at the beach and I've read that there are places on the beach to buy your own lunch (if this is false, I'd love to know) and that the Beach BBQ offered through NCL was overpriced.

St. Thomas: Will probably book something on our own.

I'd really appreciate some feedback on what to book.

One more thing. Once we decide, should I pre-book these excursions or wait until we board? Am I already too late?

Thanks.:)

JK's Mom, I can't answer some of your questions, but can shed some light on some other things after having cruised over 20 times on various lines.

First of all, most ships hold back part of the availability for popular tours until they set sail. If one you want is sold out, ask to get on a waiting list. Lots of times one might open up. You have a group, though, so if there is anything you REALLY want to do, go ahead and book it now. If you really aren't sure, wait until you get on board and see the brochures and sometimes there are little videos playing at the excursion desk or even on your cabin t.v. about the tours.

Since you are reading these boards, you are one step ahead on the shore excursions. We do most of our's independently. It doesn't seem to matter whether or not you are tendered to port or not. If you take a tour w/a guide that you've read many recommendations about on this site, you will no doubt be in good hands. These people make their livings on cruise passengers and would not want to cause anyone to miss their ship. That would be the kiss of death! Many times we just go where we want via cab or bus. For a first time visit, esp. w/a group of kids, you may not want to do this unless you have done a lot of research about your port ahead of time. If you do this, make sure to allow plenty of time to catch your ship -which means thinking ahead about the traffic heading back to port! Also, make SURE you know if the ship's time matches the islands time!

One thing I've also found is the ship's excursions are not ALWAYS less expensive than an independent one, but USUALLY they are. And generally you have a smaller group and more personalized service on an independent tour, and can sometimes make adjustments in your itinerary once on the tour.

RE: Tortola, take an excursion to the Baths at Virgin Gorda if one is offered. The kids and teens will REALLY like it! I was just there in Nov. so I'm going to go to Jost Van Dyke. That is mostly just beach and a couple of bars. But the ride over there is really scenic. The teens will like anywhere there are others they may have met (or can meet!).

Hope this helps somewhat.

St. Thomas: Will probably book something on our own.

We came in on CB, Princess and booked through Princess Views of St. Thomas. But you can do the tram on your own that we did and it would have been nice not to have been rushed so much at this stop. It also went up up up to the "top of the mountain", the highest point. The drivers are very aggresive here and I would hate to drive up there on my own. We were dropped at the open air market in town where we did a spot of shopping and then had lunch. Im trying to think of the local place we had lunch in town at, its off the beaten path, but then those alleys are so narrow and tiny, crazy.

After lunch and shopping and our booked tour, then we took a taxi to Coki beach where my cruise roomie snorkeled for $10 for the equipment and dog bisquits. This is a smaller local beach, but is much clearer if you really want to see fish. I had fun hanging out with the locals while I waited for her.

You wouldnt have any trouble finding stuff to do on St. Thomas.

We never do ship excursions. We always go off on our own, and always have a blast and have NEVER EVER been late for the ship, whether tendering or not. I like being on my own time schedule, not someone else's.

Years ago, we did one excursion in Costa Rica, and regretted it. We figured out after the excursion that we could have done it on our own cheaper. We went to a volcano. We had to stay and look at the volcano for about an hour and a half. Boring. We would have left after 15 or 20 minutes. Ever since, we've always done our own thing.

I've heard alot of people go on about how much fun their excursion(s) was. It's something you'll have to do and make up your own mind about.

Have a great cruise,

Shay

Hi there, We are on the same ship. I have been on 5 cruises and never have I booked one through a ship. We have always done our research and prefer to do things in smaller groups. I remember watching a Disney tour in Grand Cayman where there were at least 60 people in the tour and we had 12 on our boat....quite a different experience. Anyway, as said before, these tour guides are dependent upon the cruise industry and will get you back to the ship on time. I have always found tours booked independently to be cheaper, not more expensive. Good luck. E.

If you do pre-book your excursions through NCL's web site, which might be a good idea since you have a large group (6?), just be advised that not all of the excursions listed on the web site will actually be offered on your cruise. On our cruise (1/2/07), two of our excursions (both offered and booked, with receipts from NCL for our specific cruise) were not actually offered on the our cruise. Apparently the NCL web site is not routinely updated; the shore excursion desk blamed "corporate" and acted like it happens all the time "no big deal." However, it is a big deal if you have your heart set on a certain excursion (or time- morning vs afternoon), etc.

On our cruise, times were changed, excursions were changed or just not offered. Passengers were not officially notified that a change had been made, so read the fine print on the excursion tickets. If you pre-book, these tickets should be in your cabin when you arrive. If they're not there- or if an unacceptable change has been made- go to the shore excursion desk asap. You can cancel or change an excursion up to a day or two before the actual excursion (I forget the exact time- but you'll see a sign explaining this by the desk). I would also suggest that you verify with the desk the day before each excursion that they do have enough people signed up and will actually run that excursion. At least once on our cruise, an excursion was cancelled as people waited on the dock to depart- because NCL decided not enough people showed up to make it profitable.

In spite of the confusion (and frustration) of the whole shore excursion issue, we had a great cruise. The Spirit is a wonderful ship, and your ports will be interesting and fun for all of you. I also recommend going to the Baths on Vrigin Gorda, either on your own (if you have a lot of time in port) or with NCL (if you only have a few hours there). If you go with NCL, you will arrive by boat and swim to shore. Depending on sea conditions, this swim (even with life jackets) is not for timid swimmers. If any of your group can not swim, I do not suggest Virgin Gorda. Go to a beach where they can enter the water from the shore.

Finally, have you looked at the "Ports" section of CruiseCritic? You may be able to get some more info from people there. Have a great time!

Does anyone know if there are still pdf's of the shore excursions still available anywhere?:confused:

I found them on the website, though not quite sure right now exactly where they were.

As for the excursions, if you go to the Ports Of Call boards there are many suggestions and recommendations for choices to book your own. I did want to say that with the young teens, and the 11 year old, in St. Thomas they have the B.O.B. Breathing Observation Bubble (? I think?), that they might enjoy. And you as well. It's fantastic and the kids would really get a kick out of it. I think there's more on the Ports of Call board about it but I found it by doing a google search for B.O.B. St. Thomas.

We tend to book our own excursions because I like the more personalized tours and not herded around on buses etc. with large groups and skimming the surface. Most who do private tours are well aware of ships arrival and departure times and go out of their way if needed to get you back.

Thanks so much for all the useful information. One more question, if I may....do you book your private tour in advance or when you arrive in the port? We're actually two families (9 people), not sure if this makes a difference.

OK, a second question... any suggestions for Samana? I've read a lot of negative posts here about this port, but I know it's a fairly new one.

thanks a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never had a problem with booking an excursion off the ship (independently). I think you may be referring to some comments that if you have an ALL-DAY excursion and the **** is tendered to book with the cruiseline? but again, unless you are going to be cutting it really close on time, you should be ok either way.

Archived