Which cruiseline for twenty-somethings?

delikado

Hi all!

This is my first post on this board, although I've been lurking about for some time now. I'm thinking about going on a cruise with my boyfriend in 2005, so we're currently in the process of figuring out which cruiseline would suit us most. We're both 25, and like some (or most?) people our age, we enjoy going out and having a good time, though we've outgrown the whole drunken frat party thing. This would potentially be my bf's first time cruising, and my third. I've been on a Crystal Cruise and a Celebrity Cruise (with my family), and both times I felt like I was one of the very few young persons on the ship...which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it would be nice if we could find a ship that was a bit more, er, exciting (for lack of a better word). :o

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

delikado-

what itinerary are you looking at? or what section of the world do you want to travel to? that might make a difference as to the the recommended cruise line or as to what age group travels to that part of hte world.

i am 24 and i have been on 6 cruises, 3 with HAL. but of course HAL does have the reputation of being an old cruise line, though i don't find that to be true. i have never felt like there weren't people my age or close to it.

but in your case with you and your boyfriend, you might want to consider either a royal caribbean cruise or a carnival cruise. carnival is known as the party ship for good reason. and royal caribbean has so much to offer in terms of activities with the rock wall and ice skating, etc.

in your case crystal and celebrity have always been known as more of the high end cruise line and therefore only attract the higher end clientele that are able to afford cruising with them.

i dont think you or youre bf will be dissapointed with carnival or rci.

When evaluating your potential cruises don't forget to take into consideration the [COLOR=Red]size of the ship [/COLOR] (larger ship = larger pool of passengers = better potential of finding others with your same interests + larger ship = more entertainment options) and [COLOR=Red]length of cruise[/COLOR] (over 7 days = older average age passenger).

These are not hard and fast rules but, a reasonable rule of thumb.

Why leave out Carnival? I have never encountered wild drunks partying. But I also dont cruise during spring break either.

I have sailed Royal once and Carnival a few times. I find there was more choices of nightlife for us. We are dancers so the night scene in the clubs is not for us. (both cruise lines have those) But other then the ice skating show and the other show... Carnival had other offers. Comedians, game shows, trivia shows...affordable bingos...

A suggestion. Use this site... [url]www.cruiseclues.com[/url] and look at some of the daily ships activity sheet from each ship that you are thinking about and see what may interest you. Make your decision on that stuff.

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=purple]98Charlie gave you some good questions. Also, check out and peruse around the Princess site. I think, from what you are describing, that this may be the cruise line for you to try...good luck.:o [/color][/size][/font]

Thanks for all the input! As far as itineraries go, we were thinking about doing either a New England/Canada cruise, or a Pacific Coastal one... I get REALLY bad motion sickness, so I'd rather stay away from any trips involving potentially rough waters! :p From what I've read on the boards, these cruises tend to be more 'relaxed', but as long as the ship has some night time activities to offer, we should hopefully be all set.

Thanks again! I think we'll be looking into Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival.

Just one piece of advice - I have HEARD that you will have more trouble finding 20 somethings on cruises that go anywhere other than tropical destinations, such as New England/Canada. I personally get very bored hanging out on a beach and get very hot and cranky basking in the suns, so my friend and I (both 20 somethings) chose a Carnival New England/Canada cruise for this October, but have been warned that we may be far younger than most on this cruise. We are not "drunken frat party (or sorority sisters in our case)" type people whatsoever, but do like to have fun, so I hope we will not be too "out of our element" and be hanging out in the clubs/discos/whatever all alone, but we shall see... I'll be sure to post a review when I get back. :)

i agree with mirrajay... if you go on itineraries other than a caribbean cruise or a mexican riviera cruise you'll tend to find an older crowd. most of the 20 and 30 somthing crowd likes to go to warm weather destinations.

but like mirrajay i have always wanted to do a Canada/New England cruise. so i booked RCI's Jewel of the Seas for this coming September. I too am afraid I'll probably be one of the younger ones on this cruise. But my cruise is so port intensive with only one sea day that i hope it won't be that bad.

good luck on your search

If you dont mind jstducky, it would be great to hear if our theory is correct about the lack of younger folks on the Canada/NE cruises. Would you be so kind to let us know what your experience was when you return? :)

~Carey

carey-

i just realized that you only sail about 20 days after i do. i will definitely put up a full review of my cruise on the RCI forum and try and remember to put a little blurb about the age group on my cruise, here on this thread.

out of curiosity, what is your itinerary on the victory?

here is my itinerary on the jewel:
depart boston
bar harbor, maine
halifax, nova scotia
sydney, nova scotia
at sea
saint john, new brunswick
portland, maine
disembark boston

Jstducky & Mirrajay, maybe we should've booked to take a New England/Canada cruise together! :D I'll definitely look forward to hearing about both of your trips... But heck, even if we're the only "young ones" on our cruises, we can make our own fun, right?

Delikado - Yes, that is what we should have done!
I am determined to have my own fun even if I am the only one having a great time. I have heard that about the Carnival Victory in particular that there are lots of different choices for nightlife (clubs, lounges, piano bar, "Las Vegas style entertainment", adult comedy, etc.) so as long as that is available, I will take full advantage of it!

Jstducky - We almost went on that exact same cruise, but if I remember right, we saved a load of money going with Carnival. I really wanted to depart from Boston so that we could come in a day early and spend more time there, but as it stands our itinerary on the Victory looks like this:
Depart NYC
Boston
Portland, Maine
Sydney, NS
Halifax, NS
Return NYC.

The really crappy thing is that we dont get into Boston until 3:00pm, and its on a Sunday so that basically means that we wont be able to see any of the sites like the Paul Revere House, Old State House, and all the other stuff on Freedom Train. :(

Have a wonderful time!
I will look for your review on the RCI board when you get back!

~Carey

Archived