Stateroom assignment - advice please

Pooky11

Hi

We've just got our cabin assignment for our cruise on the Rotterdam. We booked a gty K class because we were hoping to be mid-ship and we now find we've been upgraded (which is obviously nice) to a DD (room 3309)outside partial view. Unfortunately it is right at the front of the ship and neither of us are that brilliant when the sea is rough. We will be going around Cape Horn and we are a little worried that sea sickness could ruin our cruise.

We also overlook the promenade walk way - does anyone know if it gets noisy at all and how much people can see into the cabin? Are their sun loungers all along the side there?

We would like to phone HAL and see if we can get another cabin, however will they tell you what cabins are available and can you choose or will they just assign another cabin without your choice? I am pleased that we've been upgraded and we know have a precious bath but a little worried that as soon as it gets rough I will have my head down the toilet!! :eek:

any tips or advice would be great

Pooky :)

We were one deck lower and nearly as far forward on the Rotterdam for a transatlantic. Think it was E2520. We had no problems although the sea was fairly calm on that crossing. Your cabin will give you some view outside, it will be easy to get out to the outside promenade deck, and that's a big upgrade from an inside K. Those of us who book guarantees need to remember that we basically get the cabin we are assigned. Enjoy the South American cruise. We are hoping to do one in the future.

It's my understanding that if you book a GTY, you're stuck with whatever you are given ... that's the chance you take ... but you may be able to buy a further upgrade. It's worth a call, but I don't offer much hope.

We are booked in a DD (not a GTY ... we chose a specific cabin) on our next cruise. On our last cruise we checked into the question of visibility into the cabins and the amount of noise out on deck early in the morning and decided both were acceptable to us.

Since the DDs are in partial visibility areas, I don't think you're likely to find deck chairs parked under your window as much as further back in open areas. If you do find some there, move them away, down the deck! :)

Now the seasickness question: if you know you are susceptible, start taking one dose of Bonine (free at front desk or infirmary) on embarkation day and keep it up. You may have to move out of your cabin and go sit in a more mid-ship area for the time you're rounding the Horn! :)

I was in a fully obstructed cabin on Rotterdam's Lower Promenade almost as far forward as possible during a bad storm---comparable to rounding the Horn. It was 38 hours of 45' seas.

I had no trouble in that cabin. Sure, I felt motion, but not so much that I couldn't sleep. I did think it was dangerous in the tub.

Remember, that even in a cabin that's quite far forward there is still a good deal of territory between your cabin and the bow.

Take your meds, spend waking hours more mid-ship/outdoors, and you should be fine.

Archived