Honolulu Hotels

KKCruisers

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a nice moderate priced hotel in Honolulu away from all the high rises and Wakiki beach area. We will be staying 2 nights prior to cruise in August and renting a car to travel all over the island and go to some nice beaches. I'm afraid to just pick one on line, because I don't know if there is an area that's not so nice or a crime area if they have one of those. It is our first time there and I usually depend on the advice of our fellow cruise critic members and it always works out fine. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Unless things have really really changed since I moved, I would not stay in downtown Honululy away from the crowd as you put it. Downtown is not all that safe.

The nicest hotel to me is Turtle Bay, I think its Turtle Bay Hilton up in Kahuku, its a lovely area near north shore, near all the nice local beaches and I think it has its own private beach. It also has a golf course. Some of the areas on past Diamond Head are very nice but pricey like Turtle Bay would be.

There is something to be said for Waikiki/Ala Moana area or you could go east from there. You can stay in Waikiki and walk to everything since its only about 3 blocks back and a mile or so long.

If you want to stay outside of Waikiki, you could try the Diamond Head area, though the Kahala Mandarin is very pricey.

You could stay on the edges of Waikiki, the New Otani Kaimana hotel is on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki but I think the hotel is due for a renovation (check tripadvisor - mixed reviews). In the other direction (closer to the pier) is the Ala Moana hotel which I think is a great value, though the prices have gone up since their renovations are almost done. But the furnishings are new and you're close to the action of Waikiki , Ala Moana shopping center, and downtown. The Pagoda hotel is in the same area and is very "local."

Anywhere else you get pretty far from town.

On the leeward side of the island is Ko Olina Marriott. Very pricey but really nice.

Even farther is Turtle Bay, but you'll be driving quite a distance to get there and back from sightseeing (2 hour drive from town). Very remote.

I personally would stay closer to town, either Ala Moana or Ko Olina (if I could afford Ko Olina!). Traffic is pretty bad in Hawaii and I find town better for a home base.

If you want to stay outside of Waikiki, you could try the Diamond Head area, though the Kahala Mandarin is very pricey.

You could stay on the edges of Waikiki, the New Otani Kaimana hotel is on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki but I think the hotel is due for a renovation (check tripadvisor - mixed reviews). In the other direction (closer to the pier) is the Ala Moana hotel which I think is a great value, though the prices have gone up since their renovations are almost done. But the furnishings are new and you're close to the action of Waikiki , Ala Moana shopping center, and downtown. The Pagoda hotel is in the same area and is very "local."

Anywhere else you get pretty far from town.

On the leeward side of the island is Ko Olina Marriott. Very pricey but really nice.

Even farther is Turtle Bay, but you'll be driving quite a distance to get there and back from sightseeing (2 hour drive from town). Very remote.

I personally would stay closer to town, either Ala Moana or Ko Olina (if I could afford Ko Olina!). Traffic is pretty bad in Hawaii and I find town better for a home base.

Archived