First RCI Cruiser - Review

auburn77

Just got back from my first RCI cruise (Mariner) after six Carnival cruises. I will probably go back to Carnival for several reasons, but I compare them as follows (only my humble opinions):

Food: No question that Carnival is better. However, RCI has much better room service choices.

Service: Equal, although I don't think that I have ever seen a friendlier crew than on the Mariner.

Shows: Also no question that Carnival's are better. I was disappointed with the shows on Mariner. However, I did not get to the ice show(reason later).

Captains: Captain Johnny of the Mariner was by far the best ever.

CD: Becky was,to me,annoying. But so was the last Carnival CD. Have liked the others on my Carnival cruises.

Cabins: Much larger on Carnival. However, RCI's shower,without that darn shower curtain of Carnival's, is much superior.

Bedding: Again goes to Carnival. But RCI is,I understand, correcting this.

Loved the Prommenade.

All in all I think that they are pretty equal. Neither is better than the other overall. Just different in different areas.

Now for the best part:

On Thursday I was lucky enough to wake up at 3 a.m. with the full blown Noro Virus. You DO NOT EVER want to contract this stuff.

RCI was unbelievably attentive and accommodating. The medical personnel treated me wonderfully. I was so dehydrated that I had to have two IV bags. They gave me all the medicine I needed and there was no charge for anything. I was quaranteened(sp) to my room for 48 hrs after the last symptom. RCI guest called often and let me know to ask for whatever I needed. Free movies,laundry,mini-bar(for my wife as she was held with me for one day to make sure she didn't get sick and thank God she didn't).

I have read horror stories about this illness and the treatment received by the cruise line. I do not blame RCI for the illness. They do all they can to prevent it. And I must say that they really went overboard to make sure that I was taken care of. I regret that I missed lobster night (my wife requested of our waiter that I get lobster the last night of the cruise and I was served two) and our ice show reservation(I insisted that my wife go and she loved it). We were informed that we would receive partial credit for a future cruise.

I believe,to RCI's credit,that at the first sign of this illness,protocals were carried out that stopped the spread. I think that they did a fantastic job.

Thanks for your honest comparison.

Sorry you got sick, but I like your attitude. Most people gripe that it was somehow the ship's fault, etc.

Hope you give RC another chance sometime in the future. After sailing on RC 3 times I went on the Elation and besides little things here and there, I couldn't really see a difference. :confused: :cool:

OMg what an awful thing to have to experience!! Did other passengers get it too? I believe I got it from a restaurant (not cruise) a few years ago. It is miserable!!! I am hoping that once you get it, than you can't get it again!

Glad you were still treated well and still were able to have a good rest of the cruise.

Thanks for the fair and honest comparison! I've been with RCI 3 times and Carnival once. Like you, there were some things I preferred about each cruise line, but overall they seem very similar, and I had a blast with both. I think most people prefer whichever cruiseline was their first -- that's my theory anyway.

So sorry that you got sick, but I'm very pleased to hear that RCI took such good care of you!

I've got to say that I like Carnival more than RC, however, I like Princess the best. Husband and I were on Mariner over Thanksgiving and the things I remember most were how wonderful and fun the servers were in the dining room and how TERRIBLE the singers and shows were. Husband and I don't get out too much and really look foward to the shows, even though sometimes they get to be routine. Have never been to such poorly done shows as ALL of them on Mariner -- with exception of the Ice show.

Almost want to cancel/change our reservations on Vision in Alaska this September but traveling with friends who won't go on any other line.

Still can't quite figure out why people pay more for RC. Still we had a good time.

I've got to say that I like Carnival more than RC, however, I like Princess the best. Husband and I were on Mariner over Thanksgiving and the things I remember most were how wonderful and fun the servers were in the dining room and how TERRIBLE the singers and shows were. Husband and I don't get out too much and really look foward to the shows, even though sometimes they get to be routine. Have never been to such poorly done shows as ALL of them on Mariner -- with exception of the Ice show.

Almost want to cancel/change our reservations on Vision in Alaska this September but traveling with friends who won't go on any other line.

Still can't quite figure out why people pay more for RC. Still we had a good time.[/quote]

Because some of us do find a difference between the two lines and will pay more for quality!!!!!!;)

Still can't quite figure out why people pay more for RC. Still we had a good time.[/quote]

Because some of us do find a difference between the two lines and will pay more for quality!!!!!!;)

Crusingator2--you are something else!!:confused:

Still can't quite figure out why people pay more for RC. Still we had a good time.

Because some people think that all cruise line shows are hokey and don't go to them at all....

Crusingator2--you are something else!!:confused:

Why because I speak my mind? You are free to run back over to the Carnival board where you feel more at home!!!!!:) I find it funny that the only posts on the RCI board that you respond to are the ones that have anything to do with Carnival. Uncle Bob must be giving you a new cheerleader uniform each month. ;)

Why because I speak my mind? You are free to run back over to the Carnival board where you feel more at home!!!!!:) I find it funny that the only posts on the RCI board that you respond to are the ones that have anything to do with Carnival. Uncle Bob must be giving you a new cheerleader uniform each month. ;)

And I checked your past posts--quite a few continually banging CCL with your superiority opinions.

Thanks for the fair and honest comparison! I've been with RCI 3 times and Carnival once. Like you, there were some things I preferred about each cruise line, but overall they seem very similar, and I had a blast with both. I think most people prefer whichever cruiseline was their first -- that's my theory anyway.

So sorry that you got sick, but I'm very pleased to hear that RCI took such good care of you!

Nah, not in our case, our first 5 were on Princess, then we got a deal we couldn't refuse and went on Carnival, the next two also because friends were avid devotees. Cheap yes, but as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. This past Sept we tried RCCL and it is by far our favorite. It is a perfect melding of all the things we think a cruiseline should be!!!

I think the OP gave a balanced opinion. Nothing more nothing less. The fact that the OP didn't go ballistic over Noro speaks volumes. Some people want to sue over losing their pool chairs after leaving them unattended for hours...

When we booked our first cruise we never even considered (or cared about) the shows. There are far too many other things to do besides plonk our bums (indoors!) when the whole point of out trip was to escape from the closed-in winter doldrums of Toronto.

After much research we chose RCI . Happy? Yep. We've already booked 2 staterooms on Liberty for next winter. Our only regret? That we didn't discover cruising sooner!

Happy Cruising...no matter which line you prefer.

Alan

I have read horror stories about this illness and the treatment received by the cruise line. I do not blame RCI for the illness. They do all they can to prevent it. And I must say that they really went overboard to make sure that I was taken care of. I regret that I missed lobster night (my wife requested of our waiter that I get lobster the last night of the cruise and I was served two) and our ice show reservation(I insisted that my wife go and she loved it). We were informed that we would receive partial credit for a future cruise.

I believe,to RCI's credit,that at the first sign of this illness,protocals were carried out that stopped the spread. I think that they did a fantastic job.

auburn, I hope that you realize just how far OVER AND BEYOND the staff went for you. Lobster later on in the cruise because you missed it? I've never heard of anyone receiving this. They treated you like visiting royalty!!!

Please let us know here on the boards about this future cruise credit. Again, I have never heard of ANYONE receiving any such consideration after having norovirus. It's so common, and so out of their control, as you acknowledged, that they don't compensate financially.

auburn, I hope that you realize just how far OVER AND BEYOND the staff went for you. Lobster later on in the cruise because you missed it? I've never heard of anyone receiving this. They treated you like visiting royalty!!!

Please let us know here on the boards about this future cruise credit. Again, I have never heard of ANYONE receiving any such consideration after having norovirus. It's so common, and so out of their control, as you acknowledged, that they don't compensate financially.

I didn't ask for the credit,so I assumed it was customary. They just left us a letter saying we would receive a prorated credit based on our quarantine time within thirty days for a future cruise. They said it will have to be used within a year's time,so we probably won't use it.

And you're right,they did treat us very well considering the circumstances. The lobster was a very nice gesture. Like I have stated,the staff on the ship were excellent.

GSB, how are you doing?

Originally Posted by auburn77
I've never heard of anyone receiving this. They treated you like visiting royalty!!!

Maybe they thought I was royalty. I know that for awhile I couldn't seem to leave the throne.

ROTFLMAO

ROTFLMAOWPIMP

Royal Caribbean may compensate you for the lost days they keep you and possibly your family in your cabin. For a cruise that may cost thousands of dollars per passenger, how does a few hundred dollars compensate for the loss of ports-of-call and a miserable time? What passenger would want to be kept isolated in their room against their will? Cruise lines should compensate their passengers.....

When was your cruise?

11/26-12/3/06 total number 384 came down with the NoroVirus.

You might be entitled to more.....Call your TA.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2006/dec3freedom.htm

That's it. I called guest relations to tell them that I probably wouldn't be sailing RCI again(at least not within the next year). I was just asking for an extension of the time frame. The rep said that the cruise credit was all they could do and it had to be within a year from the date of our cruise(02-04-07). No big deal to me.

If the next was free,we couldn't go within a year. Already have our next vacation planned.

Archived