10 day cruise formal nights

jpoelker

There are 3 formal nights on cruises of 10 days, It goes up to 4 after 14 days.

On our recent 34 day transatlantic, we had 8 formal nights, 6 informal, and 20 casual.

It's at the captain's or the hotel manager's discretion to change the schedule, however, and we did have several changes. One day, the changed the schedule 3 times due to changes in sailing times and bad weather.

GN

Funny thing --- we just received our documents from Holland America for the Noordam's August 31st 10-day Baltic sailing and they clearly and unambiguously (on page 4) state that there are two (2) formal nights, two (2) informal nights and six (6) casual nights.

There are 3 formal nights on cruises of 10 days, It goes up to 4 after 14 days.

On our recent 34 day transatlantic, we had 8 formal nights, 6 informal, and 20 casual.

It's at the captain's or the hotel manager's discretion to change the schedule, however, and we did have several changes. One day, the changed the schedule 3 times due to changes in sailing times and bad weather.

GN

34 day cruise?! How was it? Our longest cruise has been 14 days. Just wondered whether or not you were READY to get off the ship!

BGlen

If your documents say 2 formal nights on your cruise, that's what you can expect.

As has been stated, there are normally 3 formal nights on a 10-day cruise, but sometimes this is adjusted up or down. I've always had 3 formal nights on 10-day cruises, but my parents have had a couple of 10 day cruises that have had 2 formal nights, and also a 10-day cruise with 4 formal nights. So, it can vary.

Hi Barbara,

If you're interested in learning about the ins and outs of 34 days at sea (well 15 of them were at sea), check the Happy Wanderer thread on this board. Ruth C. did a running commentary of the trip from onboard.

And yes, we were ready to come home. As much as we love cruising, we missed family, pets, and home cooking. Now that we've been home almost 3 weeks and are looking forward to our Zaandam trip for New Year's, we're almost ready to go again...

"what he yells, I just got the luggage put away." And boy was there luggage!!! 5 checked bags and 2 carry-ons plus camera case.

It was quite an experience. We met wonderful new friends and enjoyed our old friends. Of the 1300 and some on board, 980 odd were doing the whole 34 days. Only 300 people got on in Amsterdam. Most were mariners and many had been on last year's 16 or 33 day transatlantic as we were (16, we got off in Rotterdam and flew home.)

Read Ruth's posts, they're fun!

GN

The Baltic cruise is very port intensive and there may not be enough time allowed for the 3 formal nights. If I remember correctly when we did the Baltic we were in Warnemunde until late at night - 3/4 of the ship including us went off to Berlin. Also you have an overnight in St. Petersburg and most of the ship go off to an evening excursion.

We did the Copenhagen to Rome cruise last year on the Noordam and we did have 3 formal nights and four or five informal. I know that the informal was changed from less to more when we boarded and of course the remainder were casual.

I do think it varies in Europe with the itinerary. It will be interesting to see what we have in the Black Sea in October.

Jennie

:)

When did a 10 day Baltic cruise we had 2 formal nights and 2 informal nights. We were surprised that there were only 2 formal nights, but when we looked at our itinerary more closely, some of the ports we were there till 6 - 7 in the evening.

I believe itinerary does have a lot to do with how formal and informal nights there will be.

:)

We did a 14 day on the Rotterdam Holiday cruise a couple of years ago and I was expecting 4 formal nights. When our docs came they said 3 formal nights. Well I packed accordingly and to my surprise, when we boarded, our daily program said there would be 4 formal nights. As I usually take an extra dressy top I was OK, but be aware, its up to the Capt. or HM and things can change.....jean :confused:

Archived