Seeking advice on how to do post cruise excursions ourselves

TeeBuccs

BQ & Others -

I would greatly appreciate any advice or names of recommended vendors that I can do some research on. My husband and I are looking to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary in Alaska in 2008 (June). We have been to AK before on 7 day northbound cruise followed by ships cruisetour, but we haven't been able to get to the places that we want to post-cruise.

I am thinking since ship stops in Seward, I would like to get down to Homer for a day or two to do some bear watching tours, along with Kenai. From this point I would want to be sure to hit Anchorage, Denali, maybe the North Pole and fly home from Fairbanks.

We are adventurous folks but have never tried to book anything of this magnitude on our own. Are there any companies out there that assist or is it simply you rent a car (one-way drop off) and just drive?

Thanks in advance for your assistance - it is greatly appreciated!

Snowed in - in Virginia!

Hello - from snowed-in in Illinois! That's basically what we will do this summer - rent a car and drive to the places we want to see. There are many possible itineraries for a land trip. I know - because I think I have considered every single one at one time or another! ;) This thread might give you some ideas: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=465998

Alaska Tour and Travel can put together the components of a land trip if you don't want to do it yourself: http://www.alaskatourandtravel.com

Take a look at the posts on the first 4-5 pages of this Alaska board. It will give you some good ideas. If you rent a car between Seward and Fairbanks, Hertz is the only game and it will be frightfully expensive. If you take the train from Seward to Anchorage then rent from there, you will still incur a $300-$400 drop fee to drop in Fairbanks. Personally, I don't think it is worth that much, plus any extra in plane fare, to spend a day or so in Fairbanks, but that is just me.

You can see bears from Homer or Anchorage. But look and book that soon. June is a bit early for bears at Brooks Camp but I am not sure about Hallo Bay or others. Figure $500-$600/person for a day trip for bear viewing though. It is not cheap.

Definitely spend time at Denali NP. I recommend an absolute minimum of two ngihts though I always spend 3-4 nights there. Go as far into the park as possible (i.e. Wonder Lake) and be sure you bring DEET for the mosquitos. You won't regret going that far, especially on a nice day and very especially if Mt. McKinley is visible.

Buy a copy of the "Milepost". That will give you more info than you need - mile by mile descriptions of all the roads, ads on where to stay, what to do, etc. Last year's will be fine - some places go out of business, but you can double check them on the web.

You do need to rent a car. Fairbanks isn't that many hours from Denali. If you wanted to go there, you could go for a day (or a night). The Riverboat ride on the Chena is good there, as is the museum at the University. I'm not up on North Pole in recent years, but don't think I'd bother. Nor would I drive up to Deadhorse.

I'm hoping you get more answers from some of the great posters on this board.

It is simple to rent a car and go to your areas of interest. Superior to ANY "tour" since you plan the time and activites, no waste in areas of so so or no interest. No way to get lost either. :)

Instead of buying a MILEPOST, head to your library and see if they have or can get you a copy?? While there, take out all the Alaska travel books. The new edition of the MILEPOST comes out in March.

Homer is a 2 night stop, my min. recommendation and if you want a bear tour, better with 3. I really like Fairbanks, again- a 2 night stop at least for me, but plenty people pass through, again making no point for even going there??? Do your homework and determine IF there are activies of interest?? http://www.explorefairbanks.com

How much time do you have???

Last year my husband and I did RCL Radiance 7 day northbound and then 5 days inland on cruisetour. This time I am comptemplating skipping the cruise part and just fly in and out and spend time where we want. Not sure how the cost would compare to a cruise. (We enjoyed Juneau, Skagway and Sitka a lot).

This time I know I would like to go to Homer (bear stuff) and do something along Kenai fjords...then drive up to Anchorage and onto Denali for several nights. If we were to fly into Anchorage is it reasonable to drive down to Homer and then up to Denali and back to Anchorage within 10 days? If we skip the cruise I would do just 10 or 11 days ourselves inland. If we cruise I would want to add at least 6 days inland.

You like Fairbanks? Our trip last year only spent the night there, we didn't get to see anything? Good stuff there to do?

Thanks again!

6 days is tight if you want to include Homer, Seward and Denali Park. You have a lot of transit time to add, so I would look at a couple more days if possible.

I travel interior Alaska more than cruising. It indeed is an excellent adventure and would be easy to fill 11 days if you decide to forego the cruise. As a sample- include 2 nights at each location, plus Anchorage probably 2 split nights. If going on a fly in bear tour, 3 is better for Homer.

Fairbanks is a gem. The Fairbanks U offers plenty, excellent museum, Large Animal Reseach farm- great opportunity for a Musk ox look. :) Nice Botanical garden. Creamer's Field, nice walking. Pioneer Park, Ice Museum. Public Lands building free museum- especilly if the aurora movie is available. Flightseeing, Arctic Circle tours etc.

Archived