brazilian wax

goldpenny

I think most people in this country make way too big a deal out of a Brazilian wax. Unless you are going to wear a Brazilian bikini, most people don't need to go to such an extreme. Trim, use nair, or whatever to groom your bikini line, if you are wearing a regular bikini A Brazilian bikini is something like three postage stamps held together by some dental floss, and most people in the USA are too chicken to wear them.

In this country, it seems to me people get them because "they think it's the fashionable thing to do", or perhaps their lover thinks it's hot. In Brazil, a Brazilian wax is meant for a purpose, it doesn't get the hype it does here.

If you do get one, I advise getting one done at a salon, preferably by a Brazilian or find a reputable salon that can do it the RIGHT way.

All guys are different just as all women are different in what they like and do not like. I personally find that a woman with the Brazilian look does nothing for me and might even be a turnoff. I also don't think a woman should have to go through anything that a guy is not willing to do as far as personal grooming and I for one will not think of having a Brazilian...I am just providing my opinion as a typical guy and hope your ladies appreciate it!:cool:

Why do men always assume women do these things for their benefit?

I wear make up because I like it. I shave because I like the feel of my smooth skin- his enjoyment is purely a perk- not the reason for doing it. I am considering getting waxed before this cruise b/c shaving doesnt last for the entire cruise and you can only shave like every other day...which means half the cruise with stubble!

I dont feel that I look like a child bare b/c I am not built like a child. I guess if I didnt have T&A with a side of hips it may be a different story...

Also, I am lucky enough to have a guy who does care about his personal hygiene and keeps everything "groomed". There is nothing more gross than a jungle... hair traps moisture and sweat and holds odor- thats why men's sweat smells so much worse than womens- we shave our under arms.

Anyway, just my opinion

Why do men always assume women do these things for their benefit?

So very true. I get a Brazilian done for myself. I'd never in a zillion years get it down for my husband however he does completely shave for me.

After 10+ years, hair looks gross to me.

someone sent me this in an email.. I think you will all get a good laugh!

My night began as any other normal weeknight. Come home, fix

dinner, play with the kids. I then had the thought that would ring

painfully in my mind for the next few hours: "Maybe I should pull the

waxing kit out of the medicine cabinet."

So I headed to the site of my demise: the bathroom. It was one

of those "cold wax" kits. No melting a clump of hot wax, you just rub

the strips together in your hand, they get warm and you peel them apart

and press them to your leg (or wherever else) and you pull the hair

right off.

No muss, no fuss. How hard can it be? I mean, I'm not a genius,

but I am mechanically inclined enough to figure this out. (YA THINK!?!)

So I pull one of the thin strips out. Its two strips facing each

other stuck together. Instead of rubbing them together, my genius kicks

in so I get out the hair dryer and heat it to 1000 degrees. ("Cold

wax,yeah...right!") I lay the strip across my thigh. Hold the skin

around it tight and pull. It works!

OK, so it wasn't the best feeling, but it wasn't too bad. I can

do this! Hair removal no longer eludes me! I am She-rah, fighter of all

wayward body hair and maker of smooth skin extraordinaire.

With my next wax strip I move north. After checking on the kids,

I sneak back into the bathroom, for the ultimate hair fighting

championship. I drop my panties and place one foot on the toilet.

Using the same procedure, I apply the wax strip across the right

side of my line, covering the right half of my hoo-ha and stretching

down to the inside of my butt cheek (it was a long strip) I inhale

deeply and brace myself....RRRRIIIPPP!!!!

I'm blind!!! Blinded from pain!!!!....OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!

Vision returning, I notice that I've only managed to pull off

half the strip. CRAP! Another deep breath and RIPP! Everything is

spinning and spotted. I think I may pass out...must stay

conscious...must stay conscious. Do I hear crashing drums??? Breathe,

breathe...OK, back to normal.

I want to see my trophy - a wax covered strip, the one that has

caused me so much pain, with my hairy pelt sticking to it. I want to

revel in the glory that is my triumph over body hair. I hold up the

strip!

There's no hair on it.

Where is the hair??? WHERE IS THE WAX???

Slowly I ease my head down, foot still perched on the toilet. I

see the hair. The hair that should be on the strip...it's not! I touch.

I am touching wax.

I run my fingers over the most sensitive part of my body, which

is now covered in cold wax and matted hair. Then I make the next BIG

mistake...remember my foot is still propped up on the toilet? I know I

need to do something. So I put my foot down. Sealed shut! My butt is

sealed shut. Sealed shut!

I penguin walk around the bathroom trying to figure out what to

do and think to myself "Please don't let me get the urge to poop. My

head may pop off!" What can I do to melt the wax?

Hot water!! Hot water melts wax!! I'll run the hottest water I

can stand into the bathtub, get in, immerse the wax-covered bits and the

wax should melt and I can gently wipe it off, right???

WRONG!!!!!!!*

I get in the tub - the water is slightly hotter than that used

to prisoners of war or sterilize surgical equipment - I sit. Now, the

only thing worse than having your nether regions glued together, is

having them glued together and then glued to the bottom of the tub...in

scalding hot water. Which, by the way, doesn't melt cold wax.

So, now I'm stuck to the bottom of the tub as though I had

cemented myself to the porcelain!! God bless the man who had convinced

me a few months ago to have a phone put in the bathroom!!!!!

I call my friend, thinking surely she has waxed before and has

some secret of how to get me undone. It's a very good conversation

starter "So, my butt and hoo-ha are glued together to the bottom of the

tub!"

There is a slight pause. She doesn't know any secret tricks for

removal but she does try to hide her laughter from me. She wants to know

exactly where the wax is located, "Are we talking cheeks or hole or

hoo-ha?"

She's laughing out loud by now...I can hear her. I give her the

rundown and she suggests I call the number on the side of the box.

YEAH!!!!! Right!! I should be the joke of someone else's night.

While we go through various solutions. I resort to trying to scrape the

wax off with a razor . Nothing feels better than to have your ie goodies

covered in hot wax, glued shut, stuck to the tub in super hot water and

then dry-shaving the sticky wax off!! By now the brain is not working,

dignity has taken a major hike and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need

Post-Traumatic Stress counseling for this event.

My friend is still talking with me when I finally see my saving

grace....the lotion they give you to remove the excess wax.

What do I really have to lose at this point? I rub some on and

OH MY GOD!!!!!!! The scream probably woke the kids and scared ens out of

my friend. It's sooo painful, but I really don't care. "IT WORKS!! It

works !!" I get a hearty congratulation from my friend and she hangs up.

I successfully remove the remainder of the wax and then notice

to my grief and despair....THE HAIR IS STILL THERE.......ALL OF IT!

So I recklessly shave it off. Heck, I'm numb by now. Nothing

hurts. I could have amputated my own leg at this point.

• 1 month later...
Drink a couple of caipairinhas before you go..helps tremendously! :)

So THAT'S what y'all are doin on this thread. Drinkin' caipairinhas!

To each her own......however, pass the limes, i think i have some of that cachaca (sp) stuff someplace!!

I have a Brazilian done (full off) every 4 weeks. It hurt worst the first time, but even that wasn't too terribly bad (I'm a baby about pain, too).

Take a couple Advil about 30 minutes beforehand, and try to time it to just after your period (I've heard you're more sensitive just before; I can't say whether this is true, since I've never wanted to try).

If this is your first time, plan on at least 3 days before you want to show it off ;) . You'll look like a plucked turkey until then.

Salon choice makes all the difference. Find a waxer who knows what she's doing. And never let them talk you into using hard wax -- the one time I did, it hurt like **** and left me with oozing pimples all over my cootchy for a week. :eek::eek::eek:

I do a full brazilian every four weeks. The lady who does mine is a licensed esthetician who does nothing but waxing, and uses only a blue hard wax. It's uncomfortable, but NOT painful. The end result is way worth any discomfort or inconvenience........the hubby's reaction, "Just let me know when you need the money and how much.....I'll pay whatever it costs!"

I did my first one as a surprise to the hubby and his reaction was priceless!

and uses only a blue hard wax.

Do they use the cloth strips to remove it? Mine uses a blue wax with cloth strips, and she refers to it as a soft wax.

The "hard wax" that I had done was yellow and the waxer just kind of peeled it off with her fingers, not with cloth. That was miserably painful, and I had a couple years of experience with Brazilians by then.

She uses a blue hard wax then removes the strip with her fingers. She says the wax adheres only to the hair, making the removal less painful.

I'm not sure of the brand she uses but it looks like this.

http://www.resinebyhairaway.com/brazblue.html

... it's almost an opaque carribbean blue

Then she follows up with a soft wax for anything she missed and for this she uses cloth strips.

Afterwards at home I use Tend Skin for a couple of days which is supposed to help prevent ingrown hairs, which I've never had a problem with.

Ever since SaTC and Carrie's "I got mobbed... she took all I've got!":eek: , I've wanted to try it! I cruise in 7 days so this trip, prob not. I don't shave with razors, but with a little electric shaver=no ingrown hairs. I started with bikini-like grooming and gradually got more liberal. Now, I'm down to the landing-strip and I LOVE it! I think it's cleaner, sexier, and... prettier.

Are there any national Spa's you would recommend?

Gold Penny- It really is not that bad at all. Make sure you find someone at a spa or nice salon to get it done. It should never cost under $55.00, if it does I would be worried. They are trained professionals who just have a job to do. I love the lady who does mine, we joke and talk through the whole thing. It usually takes 20-30 minutes total time. I do suggest you buy a product called Bikini Saver or a similar one. It makes all the difference in the world. Start going now to get on a good schedule so you are ready for your cruise. Let the person doing your wax know you are going on a cruise and they will give you a good timeline on when to get your last wax done. They will also tell you how to care for the area to give you the most benefit of your waxing. I would skip the regular bikini line and go all the way. You will love it and never go back...I promise! Remember...it is not as bad as you might think. Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

I am now working out of a very good Day Spa, and get waxing done for free.

Before my cruise, one of the ladies there is suggesting underarms, brows, full leg, and bikini.

I have had brows done but that is it... never ever anything else and I am nervous about doing it....

After reading the horror stories on here, I am thinking of just a bikini line wax, what do you guys think? :(

I read the comment about pricing under $55 - I'm not sure what brazilian is at work, but full leg is $45, and bikini is $27....

I got the bikini done yesterday for my cruise. It had been 7 years since I had gotten a wax. OUCH! gah, I forgot how painful it was. LOL They used the soft blue wax on the sides and the hard wax on the top. Looks good. One side was still a little tender in the shower this morning, but it looks good. Worth it.

I've gotten back into the waxing. I love the feeling when its all gone. The 1st time is the worst; then 4-6 weeks later it's not as bad. I just found a new salon (I moved) and she uses a pink "soft" wax with the cloth strips.

I'm allergic to aspirin, so I can't use the "tend skin". My waxer told me to get this special exfoliating mitt - it's made of plastic honeycombs that does an awesome job with preventing ingrowns. I also created my own concoction of block shea butter melted with vitamin e & lavender essential oil & basil essential oil. Both oils have antibacterial properties. I use it 2 times a day and it keeps ingrowns down as well.

Now that I've gone back to a Brazilian, I won't ever let it grow out again!

Yes, my fiancee' loves it - but I do it for me. I like the look, feel, and not having to worry about things poking out in ANYHTING I wear.

MY salon charges $65 for a brazilian - that's in Central Florida to give you an idea.

I worked up the nerve to try a "landing strip" wax after my first cruise with my H. I have very thick course hair on my legs and elsewhere. I spent the entire week with severe razor burn.

It was painful the first time but it took a full 3 months for the hair to grow back. I now get my legs, underarms, lip, eyes, and nether region done before I go. I actually do most of it myself. Everything but the backs of my legs and my backside. My best friend in the world waxes that for me.:eek: I find that my underarms and my lip hurt the most.

My best friend and I go on a girls cruise every year with my mother and aunt. The last cruise we drank a whole lot of red wine. Got completely toasted and waxed each other. What a great time that was. No pain....I was too drunk to notice.

Just a side note...I am a licensed cosmetologist with professional supplies. I would never recommend that someone inexperienced wax themselves with drugstore supplies.

The last cruise we drank a whole lot of red wine. Got completely toasted and waxed each other. What a great time that was. No pain....I was too drunk to notice.

Just a side note...I am a licensed cosmetologist with professional supplies. I would never recommend that someone inexperienced wax themselves with drugstore supplies.

LOL! I usually have a margarita or 2 before hand also!!!

what do you guys think? :(

My fiancee' is Tnrnchick74. She used to shave down there and I find it very sexy. She figured getting waxed would save her from having to shave all the time and I even accompanied her to her first (and second) waxing! I even held her hand while she had it done!!

I find her being waxed is much more sexy than shaved. She is smoother, and it enhances everything, for BOTH of us! She also likes how clean and neat it feels.

I can't speak for every man, but I know most guys enjoy the way it looks and feels.

Archived