Accra Beach Barbados - Questions

travlr21

Has anyone used this hotel before or after a Windstar cruise? If so, what category room were you given?

Windstar is quoting a pretty high rate compared to what the hotel web site shows and Windstar won't guarantee a room category. They claim most rooms 'face the ocean', but Accra Beach web site shows 7 room categories. Some reviews of this hotel show there are 'island view rooms' - AKA road view and I would not want one of those. If I choose this hotel it seems better to book directly and try to guarantee a room category that way.

Comments appreciated! Thanks.

Travlr

My Dh and I have stayed at the Accra both pre and post cruise. I do like the hotel, as it has more of an island feel and the staff are very friendly. We had, if i remember correctly, a deluxe oceanview. It was the one that had a jacuzzi on the terrace. You definitely want an oceanview and high floor. The view is lovely. I have pictures to prove it. We did ours independent of the cruise line, as the rates were by far better. They have their own site and I just gave emailed them. No problems.

www.accrabeachhotel.com

I must say that it is very popular, and post cruise it was a bit of a wait for our room. You just have to remember that the next set of Windsurf cruisers have to vacate the rooms and they have to be cleaned before they are ready for you.

You definitely do not want a island view. You get to overlook the little shopping complex across the street, or the parking lot which is loud and noisy and possibly a music venue in the early hours of the morning. Hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...

We stayed at this hotel at the end of our Panama Canal trip and really liked the lay out. We had made the arrangements via web site and were fortunate to get an upgrade when we checked in. However, you cannot count on that, of course.

Instead of the hotel restaurant we walked down the beach and had a very nice dinner (our last for the trip) at the Pelican (I believe it was called). There is also a Greek restaurant called OPA, but I don't know anything about it, other than it was on the beach and closed when we checked it out.

To see a couple pictures of the hotel and the room we had, go to: http://www.*****.com/panama.htm

and scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Travir, you are right on the mark when it comes to comparing website hotel rates versus what Windstar offers. I would highly recommend anyone going on a cruise to check the individual rates and see if rooms are available at the same place that Windstar books passengers. You will often find that it is better to do it yourself.

Some people will say they cannot be bothered and have the assurance of having a room. And that's fine, of course, but if you want to save a few bucks, check it out.

Our experience with the same trip I mentioned above, was a much lower hotel rate in Costa Rica plus a very nice cab ride to the pier for less than the Windstar organized bus trip people took from the same hotel.

Don't get me wrong, excursions by Windstar are often great and the way to go. But when it comes to pre and post trips, check it out before hand.

Lair Bear, thanks for the info. Also, your pictures are great!

Our travel agent booked an ocean view room through Holiday House at a much better rate than Windstar offered. Though, we did take their hotel in Lisbon because it was a good rate.

There was talk of Windstar charging us a 'deviation' fee for not taking the Barbados hotel through them, but we seem to have resolved that, thank goodness.

Only 239 days until we sail!

Archived