Stroller ????

unga

We are leaving on Sunday for our 1st cruise on the Norwegian Dawn.

Just wondering if anyone has any advise for me whether or not I should bring my stroller for my 3 year old???? Its not a large stroller (umbrella that reclines-it folds pretty small)

We are taking a excursion to Seaworld and wondering if we should bring it or not.

If you can manage the extra piece, I recommend travelling with an umbrella stroller. For us, it helped in the airport for those long jaunts to the gate and little one being too tired to walk. They will check it at the gate for you and some lines will bring it to the arrival gate when you get there.

My son stopped needing his umbrella stroller about age 4. Now he can walk further and really wants to walk....but at age 3, it was used just enough to make it worthwhile.

NCL Star 1/04

What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

Different people will have different opinions on this, and it depends a lot on the child. Mine disliked being confined to a stroller, and I hated dragging along extra gear that was hardly used. I've never taken a stroller when flying, but I have rented those luggage carts that have a seat for a child. Sea World (and other such major attractions) rents strollers if you find that you need one. Also, it will take up precious storage space in your cabin.

I wouldn't bother with it, but that's just my opinion based on my experiences with my kids. YMMV.

Sherry

Carnival Spirit - July 11, 2001

Thanks for your advise. After discussing this with my husband we have desided not to bring the stroller. The only reason I thought to bring it was for Seaworld (we arent flying-live in NY and departing from NY) so If they rent them at Seaworld it makes sense to see how the day is going and if the stroller is needed then we will rent it.

Thanks again!

Depending on the age I recommend an umbrella stroller for a cruise. It was very helpful up to age 4 as it gave our daughter somewhere to fall asleep while on land and also helped contain her during busy times on the ship.

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000

Victory 2000 Sensation 2001

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003

Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

Uhhh!!! Now I am confused again as th whether or not to bring the stroller!!!

If only this was the toughest decision I ever had to make in my life I would be lucky!!

Does NCL rent strollers? I know that Carnival does. Maybe if you need one just for the cruise, that would be a good option for you?? We leave on 6/6 with a 4 year old and I plan on bringing an umbrella stroller. Not only for the airport (as mentioned above) but also for the on and off the ship (can be quite a walk just from the cabin to the end of the pier early in the morning or late in the afternoon after a full day of activities) and while in port (we plan to do some shopping in St. Thomas). Having something to hang the beach bag and other "stuff" on is always helpful. My little guy poops out and then the whining starts. I'll do anything to prevent whining....

My dd was almost 3 the first time we cruised. We forgot our stroller and regretted it. Our cabin was as far from the children's pool as you could get. It really was quite a walk.

We also would have liked it on the excursions. It was so hot she didn't want to walk.

Nothing quite as much fun as carrying a 30 pound hot child in the 100 degree sun icon_wink.gif

We did have fun, but I wish we'd had a stroller. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Just my opinion,

Dawn

BRING A STROLLER!!!take it with you to airport and gate check it---it is great for letting shild have a palce to sit waiting in lines at airport, for putting carry-on luggage in if child wants to walk, also, great if you want to stay up later on cruise and she is tired (ours slept thru midnight buffet). also, once you get it onboard, if you don't really use it, just stow under bed---if you are SURE you won't use at airport, then check with luggage---what's the worst thing? you realize you didn't really need it---but wouldn't you rather that be the case, than get on board and wish you had it?? also, makes a good beach chair for a kids---can keep you stuff off the sand, etc.

We had a $10 dollar stroller and on our last trip we left it behind accidentally...no problem! We got the $10 worth of use of it. Thats the good thing about those strollers.

BTW, what about a consignment shop...you can get a really cheap second hand one and then leave it at the hotel or wherever for someone who might need it next time?

I dont think NCL rented stollers when we were on it....but then we didnt look.

NCL Star 1/04

What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

I think it depends on your child. We just got back from the Golden princess and am glad we brought our travel stroller. We only used it for the airport(much quicker with her tucked in it!) and for shopping in St. Thomas(after Coral World and Coki Beach). Ours is small enough that i didn't feel that it took up too much room at all in the cabin. Our daughter is a small 5 yr. old but sometimes when she's tired she still wants to be carried. LY we went to Grand Cayman 7 mile beach and she was hot and exhausted after a morning at the beach and I had to carry her through the downtown to get back to the ship - we really missed our stroller!

You can gate check it and it will be waiting for you just outside the plane shortly after you get off.

Bon Voyage!

Thanks for the stroller advise. Even though we are not flying I have desided to bring the stroller. My husband thinks its a waste of space but he will thank me when she wants to be carried.

Archived