QUESTION FOR YOU ALL: How did you meet your spouse / significant other?

Hi everyone!

I love hearing stories about how couples met, and enjoy learning more about everyone on this board...

My DH and I met when we both worked at the same radio station. I would leave at night just as he would come in, and we barely ever spoke. When I got to know him after some months, I realized that he was really funny (still always makes me laugh), sweet, and the kindest person I'd ever met. So we went from co-workers to friends to dating to..... marital bliss! :D

What's your happy-couple story? Share it here with all of your Cruise Critic friends!

My husband and I met when we were in our church youth choir. We both sang in the youth choir for 2 years before we started dating, and went on several choir tours. I really didn't like him at first (and he really bugged me). After several more years, we became engaged and married at that same church. We will be married 18 years this December!! He's not only my husband and the father of our only son, he's my best friend.

My neighbor was a volunteer firefighter and they had a parade and I was waving to my neighbor. But the "OTHER" fireman on the back of the truck with him was waving at me...and he thought I was waving at "HIM".....but I really wasn't.

He wanted to meet me so my neighbor set up a blind date. That was almost 40 years ago, we just celebrated our 37th wedding anniversay. ;)

My wife and I actually met online. We ended up in a chatroom that neither one of us realized we were in. We started talking and just kept "clicking" so to speak. Cristina is from a latin family and her mom was very overprotective. Cris was not allowed to go out anywhere, not even to school. NE ways. The more we talked the more I liked her. I offered to inroduce myself to her family, but she said if I did that, we could never be. I live in orlando and she lived in High Springs, FL. I had to see her, so we devised a plan to see each other. We set a time window, I would drive the 2 hours to high springs and wait in the parking lot of the City Hall. She would try to get away on a bike ride. We would have a whole 2 to 5 minutes to spend together, then she would have to go and I would drive the 2 hours back to orlando. We did this for a year. Sometimes she could get out, sometimes not. I would just sit and wait for 4 hours in the parking lot, hopeing to see her. wub.gif We started planning how to be together. We devised a plan to help her get out of the house. What we did was have her put her clothes in bags and put them in the alley behind her house. My friend Chris and I left orlando at midnight and got up there at 2am. We picked up her clothes and left a bag with a cellphone. When her mom went to sleep, she left the house, called my cell and we picked her up. Chris drove home so I could hold Cristina and comfort her. I know she was scared and hurt. But we were together. The next morning we got a call from the high springs police dept, cristina told them she was where she wanted to be and they were ok with that. That was in August, WE got Married that October and are still happy as ever. That is how we came to be. Not the way I would have liked to do things, but unfortunatley the ONLY way to be. nod.gif

There is somethings I am leaving out in regards to her family, but you get the idea. and we are coming up on our 2 year anniversary.Also can I add, since she got here, Cristina has since gotten her G.E.D. got State and Nationally Certified as an E.M.T. as well as getting her drivers license. She has come along way from those overprotective, controlling ways of her mom.

Richie

We met in a Star Trek chatroom and had a humorous exchange that we'd continue whenever we ran into each other online. There was no romantic design on either parts for some time, but that changed almost overnight. He had an opportunity for a job transfer to where I lived, so we started dating and eloped 3 mos. later. We didn't get up the guts to tell our families until we found out I was pregnant. We'll celebrate our 7th anniversary in October.

We met through an ad in the paper. In the UK they have a kind of 'lonely hearts' column in some of the local papers. Basically, I replied to his message, we chatted on the phone a few times then met up for a drink. Eight weeks later he proposed, a further four weeks later we moved in together and then got married the following year (August 1996). So, it will be our eight year anniversary next month. :D

Seattlelover - 8 weeks, that's fast!

My SO and I met 7 years ago in a ballroom dancing class sponsored by the company we worked at (huge location, 3000 employees, we'd have never seen each other otherwise).

After 6 classes, it turned out I was the only one out of the ten guys who DIDN'T try asking her out. Probably because she was the cutest in the class and I was intimidated :p . Besides she told me later that I was also the only guy in the class that got on her nerves by not dancing with her much, and when dancing with her, suggesting to her that she should follow more and avoid trying to lead, as that's the man's role. We didn't talk at all otherwise.

A week after it ended, I had 3 tickets to cirque du soleil but a friend dropped out. I couldn't find anyone to sell it to 2 hours before showtime, so out of the blue I looked her up in the company directory (I had spied her name on the dance sign up list) and asked her 'hey I'm the skinny guy from the ballroom dance class, want a CdS ticket for half price?'

She declined the ticket because she didn't know me, but when we hung up the phone it was an hour and half later!

After that I tracked her down and forced her to have lunch with me in the cafeteria 3-4 times a week for 3 months. In which she rejected all my covert advances so I had to pretend I wanted nothing more than 'a friend'.

What, you ask, where is the happy ending? To which I reply, this thread is about the meeting! Not about all that hard work that follows. ;)

We met in a "divorced only" chat room ...I had been frequenting the chat room for a while (OK, I admit it.....I was a "regular"), but he had never been in a chat room until that week. He had just gotten his home computer. He saw my screen name, and sent me a private message asking what the "57" stood for. We soon discovered that we were the same age, and lived in suburbs of the same city. After three weeks of chat room, e-mail, and phone contact, we met in person at a restaurant. I knew the moment I met him that he was going to be a very special part of my life. A year later we were engaged, and in July 2000 we merged our families. I have never been this happy, and had no idea marriage could (or should) be this wonderful!!

We have only taken 2 cruises together, but plan to enjoy many more!

Wow,, excellent post and I enjoy reading each and every one of them. Here is my story of how we met.

I was living in Newfoundland and went to Ontario to see my twin sister as she had just gotten married and I could not attend her wedding (employer refused my holidays). This must have been about 3 weeks after her wedding.

Remember I was only visiting from another province.

My cousin came over and asked what I was doing Friday night. I said I don't think anything. She said good, I will hook you up with a blind date (my first ever). She described him, doesn't laugh, very serious type, etc.... I said sure what have I got to loose - remember only visiting Ontario. Well Friday just happened to be the 13th of July.

We went out and had a ball. We laughed all night long that my ribs were sore. Never stopped dancing, he never stopped talking and he was a gentleman.

We dated for a week and then I returned back home. He would phone me couple times a week. We had lots of fun together and boy was his friends wrong about him. I could only imagine how they described me to him.

Long story short, when I arrived back home, we decided to sell everything and relocate back to Ontario. Took about two months in total.

When I arrived in Ontario, I was in the door 3 minutes, the phone rang and it was him. He was at the door 5 minutes later and the rest is history.

We just celebrated our 17th Wedding Anniversary this month and I would not change one minute of it.

In a nutshell we met on a blind date Friday the 13th. And who said it was a bad luck day????? We laugh today when a Friday is the 13th and we ask what good is going to happen today.

We were in high school. He was looking for a date for the senior prom. I was a junior. He asked me and to make a long story short, he got more than he bargained for. He almost asked my girlfriend Buffy Sainte Marie. We've been married for 45 years. I wonder what would have happened if he'd asked her? Maybe I would have had the exciting career and she would have had the 4 kids. Funny how things turn out.

Wow, I love these stories!!! It's so funny how many were just accidental encounters, AND how many were started in internet chatrooms! Keep 'em coming!

Isn't it great to hear about the happy-ending stories in the world? :)

Ok, I will give you mine as well.

We were in college together she was in my history class, freshmen year. The thing is I was not sure that she was in the class. I walked up the 4 flights of stairs to find the class was cancelled. I returned to the basement of the building to hang out with friends until the next class. She walked in saying hi to everyone ( I was hanging with her friends but did not know her). She went off to class and I told my friend that I think she is in our class but I was not sure. A couple minutes later, she is walking back towards us and we start to laugh saying I guess she is in the class. well I was hit and possible kicked that day. We started dating shortly after that.

The story does not end though. I went home at the end of the year and for whatever reason only called her a couple of times. 3 weeks went by and my best friend from high school was graduating, big party and all. For some reason I was not invited (21 years later and I still do not know why) Anyway, I was so down that I just drove and ended up at her house. She was not home but we went out when she arrived home. we went out for the summer which was a lot of driving and as the school year approached, she told me she was transferring to another school.

Well only 2 weeks into the school year, I tracked her down again and the rest is history. We married after both of us graduated and just completed 17 years.

My husband and I met in August of 1978. We were on the same bowling team. I was married and he was single. I thought he was a nice guy and he was always a gentleman. Six months later, I was going through a divorce. (had nothing to do with him). We ran into each other on a Sunday and he asked me out to dinner. I had four young children and was very apprehensive. Well, I went with him and it didn't take long to realize he was not only interested in me, but had a wonderful way with my kids. We were married in the summer of 1979 had two more kids together, and just had our 8th grandchild this past Saturday!

Our cruise on the Rhapsody will celebrate our 25th anniversary!! :D :D

I met my DH at one of those old Catholic Charasmatic Prayer Meetings they used to have in the early 80's. We were the youngest couple in that prayer meeting. We happen to be at the same college in the same town (SLO, Ca.) We married in the mission 20 years ago! Our Alaskan- Veenadam in August cruise celebrates our promise to stay together..no matter what! We have three teen daughters....yikes for DH!

I met my DH on a blind date, I worked with a gal and her DH was a police officer, his partner was single, took us a year to finally have this blind date they had been trying to set us up on. Our first date was May 1st we were engaged by the 4th of July- This November 2nd will be our 11th year anniversary!

How fun to read about everyones life.

My DH and I met at my Aunt's house. My Aunt, who is also my Godmother is my DH's sister :confused: . Cannot believe that in our 20's we had never run into one another since we are a close family. We started dating immediately. One year later we were married. This union made my aunt and uncle now my sister-in-law and brother-in-law (my Uncle/brother-in-law is my mothers brother) :eek: . My cousins are now my nieces and nephews, etc.

Talk about confusing. We had to explain the situation to our priest a few times so that he would marry us. It has been 20 fabulous years together and it still confuses everyone. :rolleyes:

Archived