QUESTION FOR YOU ALL: How did you meet your spouse / significant other?

The DDials were hot when I first started online...the first D-Dial I belonged to was called Active Imagination (would have been around '90), DH doesn't remember the name of his D-Dials. I belonged to dozens of boards but Sysop'ed Genisys in Philly and 2001 in Lancaster, and DH belonged to Cheers and IDT (or IRT, I can't remember the name). They were all MajorBBS if you remember that program. Chatlink was a service that linked MajorBBS systems through an open line on the system. I also belonged to Under the El, Onix, Arb, Magnetic Page, and a couple other ones that shall remain nameless due to content :-)

My wife and I actually met online. We ended up in a chatroom that neither one of us realized we were in. We started talking and just kept "clicking" so to speak. Cristina is from a latin family and her mom was very overprotective. Cris was not allowed to go out anywhere, not even to school. NE ways. The more we talked the more I liked her. I offered to inroduce myself to her family, but she said if I did that, we could never be. I live in orlando and she lived in High Springs, FL. I had to see her, so we devised a plan to see each other. We set a time window, I would drive the 2 hours to high springs and wait in the parking lot of the City Hall. She would try to get away on a bike ride. We would have a whole 2 to 5 minutes to spend together, then she would have to go and I would drive the 2 hours back to orlando. We did this for a year. Sometimes she could get out, sometimes not. I would just sit and wait for 4 hours in the parking lot, hopeing to see her. wub.gif We started planning how to be together. We devised a plan to help her get out of the house. What we did was have her put her clothes in bags and put them in the alley behind her house. My friend Chris and I left orlando at midnight and got up there at 2am. We picked up her clothes and left a bag with a cellphone. When her mom went to sleep, she left the house, called my cell and we picked her up. Chris drove home so I could hold Cristina and comfort her. I know she was scared and hurt. But we were together. The next morning we got a call from the high springs police dept, cristina told them she was where she wanted to be and they were ok with that. That was in August, WE got Married that October and are still happy as ever. That is how we came to be. Not the way I would have liked to do things, but unfortunatley the ONLY way to be. nod.gif

There is somethings I am leaving out in regards to her family, but you get the idea. and we are coming up on our 2 year anniversary.Also can I add, since she got here, Cristina has since gotten her G.E.D. got State and Nationally Certified as an E.M.T. as well as getting her drivers license. She has come along way from those overprotective, controlling ways of her mom.

Richie

Richie,

Thanks for sharing your story - a true love story indeed. I come from a Greek background and my family is overprotective in the same way. Since I turned out to be a boy, it wasn't as bad, but women are guarded in the same way as your Cristina was. I recall a courtship of a woman when I was a teenager in Greece where we snuck around very much like you did in order to see each other ever so briefly.

Needless to say, the sneaking around doesn't do much for endearing yourself to your [future] in-laws, :0) but I am glad that you're just more living proof that in the end, love endures all obstacles.

Thanks again for sharing your story.

We actually met in first grade, WAAAAAY back when...we went all through school together, graduated from high school and never saw each other again. That is, until our 25th h.s. reunion in June of last year. He was recently separated, I was utterly miserable in my marriage...we talked until 3 a.m. We started e-mailing, then IM'ing, phoning, he came to visit me, I went to visit him...long story short, I left my husband and moved to Minneapolis last September 22, and couldn't be happier. He is truly the love of my life and my absolute soulmate. We are taking our first cruise together on Navigator 8/14, which is the one year anniversary of the date I came to visit him. I'm sorry that it took me so long to feel this way, but I'm utterly grateful that I finally did...:D

Hey NJ - Which Radio Station?

Well, here's my story. My husband and I went to the same schools together from Elementary to high school. We knew eachother, but we weren't really friends. His Mom was my 5th grade teacher. In Junior High school, my family moved 90 miles away. The following year, his family moved to the same area and we met up again in high school. Our families were not friends, so it was completely by chance that we would wind up in the same school again. During high school, we weren't friends but we had many mutual friends in common. We went our separate ways after high school. 2 years later our mutual friend came home from the military for X-mas and had a party. This is where our paths crossed again (for the third time). We became good friends and then much more and the rest is history. We've been together for over 8 years. It was obviously meant to be and fate pushed us together at three different points in our life.

It lightens up my heart to think of this. Thanks for asking...

We met when my best friend married his brother. He was best man, I was a bridemaid. We talked all night, met up again when I visited my best friend and her new Husband and he was there. Talked all night again and I discovered he was the best man for me. My best friend became my sister-in-law 28 years ago. They are still married and we will be celebrating our 25th on the Mariner on Sept. 1,2004

This isn't me but it's a favorite family story and I thought you'd get a kick out of it...

My grandmother's parents arranged a marriage for her when she was 16 and sent for someone in Italy to come to America. Apparently, he arrived a couple of weeks too early and somehow made it down to where my grandmother lived (amazing considering he didn't speak any English!) When he found the house, my grandmother was outside sweeping the front porch. So this strange man comes up to her and announces he was there to marry Anastasia (my grandmother). Nobody had gotten around to telling her that this was going to happen, and she got so mad that she said "like hell you will" and hit him over the head with her broom!

They were married two years later -- ages by those standards but I think she needed a lot of convincing :-) They were married for less than 20 years (he died prematurely) but she always said she loved him very much...

She was a strong and stubborn lady and I hope to grow up to be just like her :-)

A co-worker of mine was dating a co-worker of my DW's. They set us up on a blind date. The lady she worked with was from Chicago like myself, and the only questions my wife had was if I talked funny like her and would he send flowers. I fell in love with her butt and she liked my Camaro and we have been married 18 years. She still has the butt but the Camaro is long gone and I still send flowers.

My DH and I met in an online chat room. I was justing learning the online thing and was reading some of the

post, when I was Instant message and asked if I wanted

to chat off the computer. I hesitated at first, but when he told me that I can block my phone number so that

he can't see it and that way he can't ever call me back, Well I called at midnight and we ended the call at 5am.

we talked for 2 weeks never meeting or seeing each other.

We had a date, and married 1yr and 3months later.

I was dating a friend of his. After his friend dumped me for another girl, my hubby kept driving past my house. One day when he drove by I was outside and I stopped him, and the rest is history. As a matter of fact, today is the 16 year anniversary of our very first date. We will be married 11 years in October.

Hi Phyllis --

The radio station was the now-defunct WWDB talkradio in Philadelphia (96.5 FM). We both worked there for a few years as producers & other things, and when I first met him we were each dating other people and I thought Dru was the goofiest guy I had ever met. AND he was a few years younger than me, and I had never dated anyone younger than me. But after we started dating I knew right away that this time it was different... :D

I love your story, you're so right, fate was working overtime trying to get you two together! Eight years and still going strong - and cruising!

And I'm so glad that so many people like this thread even though it's off-topic. I saw a comment someone made in another thread that this kind of thread is allowed even though it isn't about cruising... well, it's about the people who cruise, and it's so nice (at least to me!) to hear so many heartwarming, positive stories.

My DH was my ex husband's best friend. IT'S NOT LIKE YOU THINK !! We met in 1976. He and I did not get along at all. We raised our kids together, took family vacations together until he really torqued me off one night on a camping trip. His ex wife and I wanted the guys to stop fishing and come up and play cards. But nnooo...the catfish were biting. So as I stood there on the bank of the lake, glaring at him...he told me to "GO HAUNT A HOUSE." Needless to say, after he and his wife went into their tent to sleep, I made my then husband hitch up our trailer and we left in the middle of the night. The guys continued to hang out together, but I refused to go anywhere near him for about 6 months. To make a long story short, our 24 yr marriages fell apart within 3 months of each other 9 years ago . We had moved to Northern California and he came up looking for my ex. We spent a lot of time talking the first few days he was up there. Realized that we had a lot of common ground. After flying back and forth and huge phone bills, he convinced me to move back down here and marry him because it sure would be cheaper than a long distance relationship. Real romantic huh? We got married 8 years ago, but have known each other for nearly 29 years. Our wedding was a blast! One of my dear friends walked behind my Dad dressed in bib overalls, a slouch hat and a shotgun slung over his arm. I had NO idea he was behind me. I was wondering why everyone was laughing until I reached the front and saw him.Our preacher had a hard time keeping a straight face while conducting the ceremony. It was a hoot! One night were was sitting watching a movie and I started laughing. he wanted to know what was so funny. I reminded him that he had one told me to "go haunt a house" and I pointed out that I had finally complied to what he told me to do way back in 1983. I was haunting his !!! LOL LOL LOL!!

The DDials were hot when I first started online...the first D-Dial I belonged to was called Active Imagination (would have been around '90), DH doesn't remember the name of his D-Dials. ...
Yup, those do sound familiar! The first D-Dial I belonged to was "Fantasia" located in Florida. We would connect up with the one in Philly and the three that were in NJ at the time - FlashTalk, I think it was called, and a few in NYC(we're talking '85-'89 timeframe here... ). After I moved to NJ from Florida, we had several get-togethers with the gang in Philly and NYC and there were so many people there I couldn't tell you who was who! I went by the handle I'sis at that time. I wonder if the D-Dials are still around...?

I met my DH back in 5th grade. We did not know it at the time ...but we were destined to be together. We dated a few times right out of high school, and I really liked him, but after a few dates....he never called me again! A few years later I married to another man with whom I now have a 15 yr old daughter, but after 11 years of not feeling complete I finally divorced him. During my time of INDECISION.(before filing for divorce), I visited an Aunt in Florida for a weekend to THINK, and there he was. He had gone to visit my Aunt to RE-CHARGE his batteries. Neither one of knew that the other one was going to be there! His mom and mine had become great friends, and spent lots of time with our entire family. So, Lo and behold...he helped me to decide to file for divorce. He kept telling me that there was SOMEONE better for me. The whole time he was telling me this I was praying that he meant himself! I still had feelings for him, but thought that if he had feelings for me he would have returned them 15 years earlier!

Now we will soon be celebrating our 5th anniversary aboard the Explorer in October, and we have a beautiful 3 yr old daughter. (I did not think I could have anymore children, my 1st husband and I tried for 5 yrs after our 1st daughter) It is God's way of telling us that we were meant to be together!!

I feel like cinderella with a fairytale ending!

DH & I met at a church youth group. I was a senior in high school, he a freshman in college with the cutest blonde attached to his elbow. He's 6'4" and she was about 5'0". Anyhow I was dating a young man I went to high school with. He left for college, I began hanging out with DH. Old boyfriend asked DH is watch over me as I was seeing someone but boyfriend wasn't sure who...we will celebrate our 31st anniversary this Aug. 31. DH is really good at watching over me;) .

Met my husband several years before we actually dated. He did a lot of volunteer work with Special Olympics and I worked in recreation with the mentally handicapped. After a divorce & going back to college to get my degree, I also began doing volunteer work with the local Special Olympics. The rest is history. Married 17 years now.

Archived