I know NOTHING about GT...HELP!

MamaParrotHead

As I can see we have a similar interest by our screen names, you might want to start with this link if you haven't already seen it. :D

http://www.margaritaville.com/grandturk.php

My kids think that is the way to spend the day:) . All they need is a great pool. And I'm satisfied with great music and a Margarita:D

I have also heard of great snorkeling and diving here. I can't personally vouch for anything yet as I still have 46 more days before I am there:( .

Hope this helps.

We did the "Guana Hop-On Hop-Off" bus tour. Although we had a good time, I am not sure it was really worth the money. I think it was $39 per person. The bus did come by at regular times (every 15 minutes or so), so we never were stranded anywhere.

We went to the lighthouse first...walked around...bought a few things at the gift shop...and then got back on another bus. There were a couple of trails that you could wander down, one that went down to the beach, and another that went to an overlook.

We then went to the prison, and town. Wandered around a bit...bought a couple of things from the vendors (in stalls) and then caught the bus back to the dock area.

While we were out, we did see these Dune Buggy tours that looked like they would be fun. We also saw the horse-drawn carriage rides, and that looked nice. But for the most part, it looked like a lot of people stayed in the port area. Margaritaville and the pool area was busy.

Yes, we are on that itinerary with the HMC stop. So yes, already have the beach day:) . That's why my DS (ages 5 and 3) and I will stay by the pool at Margaritaville and probably not hit the beach at Grand Turk. They are always happy by a pool. I do have my DH and 14yo DS booked on the power snorkel excursion, as I have heard good things about the snorkeling and diving at Grand Turk. I have read good reviews on the Ultimate Snorkeling and Reef and Rays tour here as well.

Try the Grand Turk Cruise Center at http://www.grandturkcc.com. This is the pier/shop/bar/excursion center that Carnival built. This site has descriptions of some of the excursions, as well as quite a few pictures of the island.

You didn't say which cruise line you're looking at, but check out the line's website. It should also have descriptions of the excursions that are offered through the ship.

The GT Cruise Center site also has a calendar that will show how many other ships are scheduled they day you are there. The good news is that there is no place for ships to anchor and the pier only accomodates two ships. The bad news is that GT is so new as a cruise stop and undeveloped that two ships can probably overwhelm the island.

Being undeveloped may be a good thing. You are not immediately confronted with a large Diamonds International store the moment you step ashore. This will probably change over the next few years.

We did this itinerary in September. You may have already seen it but my post with the pictures is where I spent the day. The sole purpose of that cruise was to relax, so beach day, after beach day didn't bother me. But, I understand those who want a little more adventure.

We spent the ENTIRE day at Govenor's beach (in the photo's) collecting sea glass. My backside was so sunburned. It was quite theraputic. Boring as all get out if you want adventure, but my little mind was occupied.:D

If you have any questions about the stops, or the cruise in general I"ll be happy to answer you.

Looking into which cruise we want to cruise next, and stumbled upon one that made a stop at GT. Can someone give me a quick run down of what our options are? Thanks!

for those who want some "quiet" beach time...check out the small hotels/inns on the island. They offer "day" packages for cruisers...nice quiet beach, lunch/drinks, and a place to change/shower/relax. Away from Margaritaville and the crowds. That's us and we're booked for a nice quiet day at the beach!

Archived