RCCL not "Mac"-ceptable!

VideoKev

We've just returned from an awesome week on the Navigator. But one thing puzzles me. I took my Mac Powerbook along with me, not only to keep a journal of my cruise but to download pictures I took and send home e-mails and pics. Well after spending half my first morning trying to get hooked up and a visit down to Guest Services, I found out that it's not compatible.

Not compatible?

Ok how long have these machines been around? And how long before some one figures out a way to pave roads and make prefab houses out of old defunct P.C.'s ?

Here's a couple of quotes. Royal, you should be paying attention here.

"I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been." -Wayne Gretzky.

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he has. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass him?" -Tom Clancy:D

I think you got some bad info. There are no wireless connection that is operating system specific. Basically the wireless connection has no idea of what type of computer you have. It was more likely a problem with the configuration of the wireless card and its compatability with the system on the ship.

We don't bring our laptops but have seen plenty of people with Macs on the ships. In september we spent a few minutes talking to a man who was on a Mac, we got into a discussion with him because it was the same computer we had just bought our son for college. He was online and we were discussing how he liked it.

O.k.... then, I think an education is in order on the part of RCCL because they sure lost a lot of money on me. I would have sent e-mails and pics home each and every day. I was showing a signal on my airport card and a strong one at that. But when we tried to make it work. it wouldn't.

O.k.... then, I think an education is in order on the part of RCCL because they sure lost a lot of money on me. I would have sent e-mails and pics home each and every day. I was showing a signal on my airport card and a strong one at that. But when we tried to make it work. it wouldn't.
Yeah, how dare the concentrate on the OS that controls 95%+ of the market - the fools.

Yeah, how dare the concentrate on the OS that controls 95%+ of the market - the fools.

I'm a Mac person also, but we don't carry our computers onboard. I spend my life at a keyboard, and for me it is a real vacation if I don't have to touch the computer!

Anyway, I recall a long thread last September (or maybe late August) concerning using Macs onboard. If you do a search you may find the details on connecting onboard. Of course, this is too late for you ... but it may help for the future.

Sad that RCCI seems to neglect the most interesting and creative people around :)

We've just returned from an awesome week on the Navigator. But one thing puzzles me. I took my Mac Powerbook along with me, not only to keep a journal of my cruise but to download pictures I took and send home e-mails and pics. Well after spending half my first morning trying to get hooked up and a visit down to Guest Services, I found out that it's not compatible.

Not compatible?

Ok how long have these machines been around? And how long before some one figures out a way to pave roads and make prefab houses out of old defunct P.C.'s ?

Here's a couple of quotes. Royal, you should be paying attention here.

"I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been." -Wayne Gretzky.

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he has. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass him?" -Tom Clancy:D

Hello~~

Whenever Brian and I cruise we bring both our Mac PowerBooks along. Brian is the technogeek of the family, but he very rarely has time to visit on Cruise Critic. So once long ago he typed up the following blurb for me to forward along to hopefully help any Mac folks out there with their CyberCabin. This if for the in-room access. (Although the CyberCabin is slow, we do prefer it, so we have not investigated wireless connnectability around the ships.)

So here it is---hopefully it will help someone someday, and I apologize in advance that I myself will not be able to answer any questions you may have. :o

"For using IN CABIN service.

1) Goto front desk and fib: tell them you have a windows PC.

They will gave you a special cable, and a slip of

paper with an extention number to call.

2) In your room plug the "Fat" connector into the wall port

Labeled INTERNET. Plug the "THIN" end into your machine's

modem port.

3) Under the apple symbol in the top left corner pull down to

"LOCATION" then select "NETWORK PREFRENCES"

4) Once in the preference window, under the heading "Location"

choose "new location" name it "CRUISE"

5) Now Select from the option "Show" the line that says

"Network Port configurations"

6) Now UNCHECK everything EXCEPT Modem. You should have one

box checked and it should be the Modem.

7) Now return to "Show" and select "Internal Modem"

8) Make sure the window has the tab labeled PPP highlighted.

9) enter the 4 digit extension the desk gave you into the line

labeled "Telephone Number", you may also enter it into

the line marked "Alternate"

10) all the other boxes should remain blank

11) Now click the tab labeled "Proxies"

Make sure that there are NO BOXES CHECKED

12) Click the button at the bottom labeled "Apply Now"

13) Click the tab labeled PPP

14) Click the button labeled DIAL NOW

15) You should now connect to the ships server.

16) Launch Safari, you should be online

Good Luck---

Brian "

Bon Voyages~~~

Leslie

Hello~~

Whenever Brian and I cruise we bring both our Mac PowerBooks along. Brian is the technogeek of the family, but he very rarely has time to visit on Cruise Critic. So once long ago he typed up the following blurb for me to forward along to hopefully help any Mac folks out there with their CyberCabin. This if for the in-room access. (Although the CyberCabin is slow, we do prefer it, so we have not investigated wireless connnectability around the ships.)

So here it is---hopefully it will help someone someday, and I apologize in advance that I myself will not be able to answer any questions you may have. :o

"For using IN CABIN service.

1) Goto front desk and fib: tell them you have a windows PC.

They will gave you a special cable, and a slip of

paper with an extention number to call.

2) In your room plug the "Fat" connector into the wall port

Labeled INTERNET. Plug the "THIN" end into your machine's

modem port.

3) Under the apple symbol in the top left corner pull down to

"LOCATION" then select "NETWORK PREFRENCES"

4) Once in the preference window, under the heading "Location"

choose "new location" name it "CRUISE"

5) Now Select from the option "Show" the line that says

"Network Port configurations"

6) Now UNCHECK everything EXCEPT Modem. You should have one

box checked and it should be the Modem.

7) Now return to "Show" and select "Internal Modem"

8) Make sure the window has the tab labeled PPP highlighted.

9) enter the 4 digit extension the desk gave you into the line

labeled "Telephone Number", you may also enter it into

the line marked "Alternate"

10) all the other boxes should remain blank

11) Now click the tab labeled "Proxies"

Make sure that there are NO BOXES CHECKED

12) Click the button at the bottom labeled "Apply Now"

13) Click the tab labeled PPP

14) Click the button labeled DIAL NOW

15) You should now connect to the ships server.

16) Launch Safari, you should be online

Good Luck---

Brian "

Bon Voyages~~~

Leslie

Thanks for the great info, just put it in our Alaska folder since ds will be coming with us and if he is "disconnected" he will be miserable for the week!

Actually you should start another thread and post this info so any MAC users know what to do. Because frankly this is the kind of useful info these boards were created for, not the silly arguments over jeans at dinner! LOL

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from my cruise on the Explorer of the Seas (I'm currently fighting my post-cruise depression). After reading some of the posts on the discussion boards, I was reluctant to bring my new MacBook. Unfortunately, my current job requires me to have internet access throughout my vacation - so some type of internet access was a necessity for me. I decided to pack my Mac and take a stab at connecting ...

Well, I connected to RCCL's wireless network easily. I had absolutely no problems with my browser (I use Mozilla Firefox). In fact, I had a promenade cabin on deck 7 directly over the Cafe Promenade and was able to successfully surf the net (wirelessly) from the comfort of my bed - I was thrilled!

I wanted to post this to any and all Mac users who may contemplate taking their laptops --- I was so happy that I resisted the urge to leave it home :)

Adam

I just returned from my cruise on the Explorer of the Seas (I'm currently fighting my post-cruise depression). After reading some of the posts on the discussion boards, I was reluctant to bring my new MacBook. Unfortunately, my current job requires me to have internet access throughout my vacation - so some type of internet access was a necessity for me. I decided to pack my Mac and take a stab at connecting ...

Well, I connected to RCCL's wireless network easily. I had absolutely no problems with my browser (I use Mozilla Firefox). In fact, I had a promenade cabin on deck 7 directly over the Cafe Promenade and was able to successfully surf the net (wirelessly) from the comfort of my bed - I was thrilled!

I wanted to post this to any and all Mac users who may contemplate taking their laptops --- I was so happy that I resisted the urge to leave it home :)

Adam

When I went on Mariner of the Seas in December of 2005 I was unable to connect. I also had a promenade cabin. Our guess was that they were not allowing Mac browsers to connect, since Wi-Fi itself is platform independent. I was going to go on my next RCI cruise with software that changes the user agent to do trick their server into thinking we were using a PC browser.

So how to explain that you could connect and others can not? I have heard that RCI has changed venders thay contract that out to. I think it is the same vendor the other cruise lines are using. If that is true then there should be no problem in the future as I never had any problem with my Powerbook on the lines that used that vendor.

What is your point? Wi-Fi is platform independent. They don't have to do anything to anything for Macs to use their wireless network. If Macs can't use it then they have to be doing something specific to block them, probably specifying only certain browsers, or using some kind of Active X script. It is obnoxious for them to do that as there is no reason to block Macs.

when we were on the Freedom and also on board Splendour. Freedom had wi-fi inside the cabins and Splendour had about 6 "hot spots" around the ship. Most of the time it was a decent connection to the internet and we were able to post pics, manage emails, and chat. The folks at the pursers desk will automatically tell you that their internet is not mac compatible, but the wi-fi worked fine. That's our experience.

Frank

How this becomes a pissing match amongst various people is beyond me ... I thought the purpose of these discussions was to share information with one another, not demean or unjustly criticize. This is not about the superiority or inferiority of any person, place, or thing - windows-based machines and macs included :)

For those interested in more information, there were 3 laptops in our traveling group. One MacBook, one Dell and one HP. The MacBook and the HP had absolutely no problems connecting to the wireless network. We could never get the Dell up and running on the network. Interestingly, the Dell could see the router (it received a signal from the wireless network), but we could never get it to connect. As far as browsers go, the MacBook used Mozilla Firefox and the HP used IE 7.0.

Obviously, the ability to connect is more than just an operating system issue :)

Adam

I always bring my Mac and have never had a problem getting on wireless on board. I do use if for many other things as well. I have been told that Macs don't work on RCCL before and it is hooey. They just say that incase someone with a Mac has a problem signing on. Take your Mac and move on. BIGGER problem is the snails pace the connection works with. ANY large file will take forever, forget which platform.

As someone said, the wireless signal if the same for everyone. I am even using Safari onboard.

To all you PC lovers.......:p lol

Not compatible?

:D

RCI isn't there to be your technical support. I thought Macs where so easy and Mac Users to be such geniuses. If they provide an ethernet connection and you can't figure it out, I'd say your where the problem is.

Thanks Adam. I think I found the issue was the browser was not accepted. All I ever wanted, was to get connected, not to feel like an idiot. Which is really how I felt here. But no one ever tried to solve that for me, just to tell me who's responsibility it was and who's it wasn't.:confused:

Thanks Adam. I think I found the issue was the browser was not accepted. All I ever wanted, was to get connected, not to feel like an idiot. Which is really how I felt here. But no one ever tried to solve that for me, just to tell me who's responsibility it was and who's it wasn't.:confused:

Did you try talking to the IT guy on board? Just a thought. Because I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of crew isn't responsible for your computer issues. I don't mean that sarcastically. I'm just wondering who you talked to. I'm really hoping it wasn't you cabin attendant.

Archived