Pacific NW 3-day cruise: does the ship even feel like its moving?

constructiondude

Is this cruise worth it? It's beckoning because its basically on my doorstep. I don't have a lot of time to do a 7 day and HAL doesn't offer any. But the only time the ship will be moving is at night and even then it doesn't have to cover much distance.

Any thoughts? Has anyone been on this cruise or a similar 3 day? I really do want to sample Celebrity since its supposed to be comparable to HAL.

I'm also curious how Concierge Class compares to an ordinary inside/outside stateroom. I know the amenities of CC but what can I expect in a regular room?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Hey Constructiondude -

Although I haven't done the Mercury itinerary, I did a 3 day Pacific Northwest on the Oosterdam a couple years ago. Basically, from Seattle to Victoria, the ship crawls along - 2, 3 knots maybe. So it does cruise, just very very slowly. The distance between say, Victoria and Nanaimo is about an hour, ditto for Victoria-Vancouver.

We did that on the Mercury last year......like you said to sample Celebrity...we enjoyed it very much.........was slow but a nice get-away.....

As far as the rooms......not sure on Mercury but on Century the rooms are the same...CC were the same as outside........so I would think that it would be the same on Mercury.......

Hope you go & have a great time.....

Sharon

We did the 4-day PNW on Mercury last fall. The first night we sailed from Seattle to Nanaimo and the ship wasn't moving too fast--more like a floating hotel; however the sailaway out of Seattle was beautiful.

We just returned from another sailing on the Mercury to Mexico in an outside cabin. The rooms are pretty basic, same size as CC cabins but without the veranda and the extra amenities like the bottle of champagne, fresh fruit, etc.

Thanks for the input, I went ahead and booked it. For the price I can't beat it....I have to take all the deals I can as a solo cruiser. And your right, sail-away out of your home city is always extra special.

I know that HAL does one or two of these, but I wish they'd do more. I don't think they realize theres quite a market for cruises of short duration. Celebrity offers them through the month of October and they are the last cruiseline to leave the Seattle/Vancouver region.

I've been on Puget Sound during bad storms and I know it can get very ruff for ferries and smaller vessels, I actually kind of like it when boats start rocking.

Archived