Queen Mary2 arrives Auckland NZ

roscoe39

Hey...dont me me wrong... Im a BIG fan for the QE2....and I turn out for her too....I only mentioned the QM2s size as a statement of fact...not as a derisory comment against the QE2... The QM2 is a big mother....and she was tooooo big for the normal pier... And not just for Auckland, I notice that she is too big for a lot of the smaller ports like us at the moment.

Perhaps that will change as the newer and bigger ships start coming down here, we need some more access to our harbour and a nice big new terminal would be a start.

Big or small.....as long as they are floating ABOVE the water I love them all.

I cant wait for the welcome of the Queen Victoria either., Im sure she'll get a big welcome as well..... now if I could only work out a way to getting on her earlier than Singapore and be waving from the other side for a change.:D

Hey Roscoe I am not sure our channel will take anything much bigger, wasn't it the old queen mary that sat outside the channel during the war because she was too big to bring up the channel, something is going ding ding in my brain, something I was told many years ago. It was interesting to read in the Herald that Ports of Auckland put the pilot on board the ship in Tahiti so he was well familiarised with her before bringing her into Auckland.

Am I correct in stating that even NY had to build a new pier for the QM2 in Brooklyn? I doubt if we could afford the expense for such a facility for a very long time, how often will we see such a size of ship here. We are able to accommodate the such of Sapphire Princess etc. just I suspect. We were down on the wharves FRiday morning to pick up a crew member on the Statendam, it was total bedlam down there, no cover for the disembarking HAL passengers and no taxis, when what should arrive but a little bit of rain, they all got wet. I saw the funny side as I have learnt that when HAL is down here, they say jump and everyone says how high, but on Friday there just wasn't the taxis to accommodate such a number of people all disembarking together and of course the usual Friday morning rush hour.

Cheers Val

Cunard could be a little more proactive in giving a few more cam views from other areas such as the stern. A good view was had from there. We liked it!:)

Living Large and Live from QM2.................Kurt

Kurt,

I agree about the Bridge cam and giving more web cam exposure. But I consider it fabulous that she HAS the Bridge cam. It wasn't that long ago she had NO cam. And whether you caught it on or not was hit or miss. It almost semed like they turned it off at night (and yes, you can see some things when the bright lights forward are lit) and in port. And just about any other time they pleased. Often, I could see nothing on it while we were on board and it was on one of the TV channels!

So one step at a time!

Glad you are having a great time. it is downright cold here at home (I am working nights this week, which is why I am posting at 4:30 AM- Trying to stay awake for another hour and a half when I can get into my frozen car and go home! And sleep! as the rest of the East coast is waking up!)

Karie,

who wishes she were with you right now!

Kurt: Hope your welcome to Sydney is everything you hope it to be! It's a shame you won't be berthed at the Overseas Terminal because it's a fantastic position, but hopefully your view from Garden Island will still be good. We had an early fog here this morning, so here's hoping all will be OK tomorrow.

Thanks!

We have been told that QM2 is going right up to the Bridge and Circular Quay, and then do a 360 degree turn before moving back to Garden Island. The word was that there would be no spot on QM2 that wouldn't have a great view the spectacle.

For all you folks that like to chew the QE2, QM2 bone:

We are all fortunate to have them both with us at this moment in time! I like both ships for some very different reasons. Have sailed QE2 more than QM2, but after the three trips I've made on QM2, I'm convince beyond reproach that she is a winner and a worthy Cunarder. A true and great liner. May we enjoy the two for a long time to come!

Kurt

Hey Roscoe I am not sure our channel will take anything much bigger, wasn't it the old queen mary that sat outside the channel during the war because she was too big to bring up the channel, something is going ding ding in my brain, something I was told many years ago. It was interesting to read in the Herald that Ports of Auckland put the pilot on board the ship in Tahiti so he was well familiarised with her before bringing her into Auckland.

Am I correct in stating that even NY had to build a new pier for the QM2 in Brooklyn? I doubt if we could afford the expense for such a facility for a very long time, how often will we see such a size of ship here. We are able to accommodate the such of Sapphire Princess etc. just I suspect. We were down on the wharves FRiday morning to pick up a crew member on the Statendam, it was total bedlam down there, no cover for the disembarking HAL passengers and no taxis, when what should arrive but a little bit of rain, they all got wet. I saw the funny side as I have learnt that when HAL is down here, they say jump and everyone says how high, but on Friday there just wasn't the taxis to accommodate such a number of people all disembarking together and of course the usual Friday morning rush hour.

Cheers Val

hey val., youre probably right., but it would be nice to see the waterfront further developed., a second terminal may encourage more ships in Auckland which can only be a good thing.

Glad to see Sydney didnt let "downunders" side down!

Next stop...QV and QE2 in 2008.....the countdown begins..

Archived