Discover Shopping Warning!!

PICKLEBALL WIDOW

:eek: These seminars are the absolute height of dishonesty, deceit, and preying upon naive people who think they are going to get a "deal." It's very much like the Nigerian email scam we're hearing so much about except that in this case we are being sold a bill of goods by what we consider to be reputable companies ie: the cruise lines. The really bad news is that assuming that there are honest stores, the bad ones that don't get cut by the cruise lines cast a shadow of doubt on all. Your posting is a very good one. I urge you to post this under "ask a cruise question" to get as much coverage as you can. (And, you're always going to get those who post a reply saying "well, I didn't have trouble" as if you were making up the entire thing. Just ignore as some people "get it" and others don't.

This posting kind of goes along with this subject, but takes a different direction. Last summer, a friend of mine (really-lol), attended one of the port/ shopping talks for a Celebrity European cruise. Regarding Florence, they were told to skip seeing the REAL Statue of David, that there was a replica they could see near recommended shopping areas, that was just as good as the real thing. In other words, don't waste time trekking off to see the real mc coy when they could be taking advantage of the "great port deals", they talked about.

Having heard this, my friend was even more curious to see if he was truly "wasting his time" and visited both statues. After viewing the replica and real statue, he couldn't believe that so many people were missing out on what he considered an amazing piece of art, for a replica that couldn't compare. He personally felt disappointed and mislead that the cruise line would let passengers miss out on some wonderful (and in some cases, once in a lifetime opportunities), in favor for making some extra bucks by directing them to "partner" stores.

I haven't sailed with Celebrity myself yet, so I cannot say this is or isn't a regular occurance with this line, but I guess some good advice (on any line) is to do your own research before you leave home on what to see and where to shop--it seems there's always a fellow cruise critic member who's been there, done that...

Weeble I was wondering if I could get just a little more info. What kind of watch did you purchase? And where are you located. I have some freinds that can probably help and I might be able to offer you some advice outside of the cruise line channel. But I just don't have enough information yet.

The watch was purchased at Columbian Emeralds in Aruba. We STILL haven't gotten any help or even a return call from Celebrity or Onboard Media OR their representatives. Anyway, we live just outside Houston Texas, in Tomball. The watch was a very nice Citizen. I have a horrible feeling this problem isn't going to be resolved.

On another point, at the same time Steve purchased his watch, I got a very nice tanzanite ring I am very pleased with at the same place. It's just too bad that people believe so strongly in the "RECOMMENDED STORES". We have learned the hard way, especially when it comes to getting any help from Celebrity. They won't even return my call. We would appreciate any help you could give us.

:eek: These seminars are the absolute height of dishonesty, deceit, and preying upon naive people who think they are going to get a "deal." It's very much like the Nigerian email scam we're hearing so much about except that in this case we are being sold a bill of goods by what we consider to be reputable companies ie: the cruise lines. The really bad news is that assuming that there are honest stores, the bad ones that don't get cut by the cruise lines cast a shadow of doubt on all. Your posting is a very good one. I urge you to post this under "ask a cruise question" to get as much coverage as you can. (And, you're always going to get those who post a reply saying "well, I didn't have trouble" as if you were making up the entire thing. Just ignore as some people "get it" and others don't.

I was SO happy to see your post and really appreciate you taking the time to do it. I will be happy to post this under "ask a cruise question" but am not sure I've seen that board before. I would love to warn people, especially newbies, about this con the cruise ships are pulling on all of us. I usually go to the shopping talks just for the freebies they throw out in the audience. :p This is our first experience with one of Celebrity's "MUST SEE RECOMMENDED" stores. Someone posted earlier stating the ships shopping EXPERTS weren't actually cruise ship employees which was really shocking.

There's so many things newbies should know and I wish we could start a forum for them with honest "take it or leave it" suggestions, like doing research on your own about finding bus transportation and beaches on your own without doing an excursion.

Thanks for the suggestion.

sorry you are having so many problems. I have found that any jewelry/watches/camera's that are found at stores in the carribbean, can be found here(in NY) for much less money and if something goes wrong I can bring it back to the store of purchase. On our first cruise, I had promised my husband an Omega watch..when to 2 or 3 stores..guar. to be the lowest prices..cheaper than anywhere, yada yada. Had priced thr watch ***** 47th street before we left(glad I did) watch was 700 dollars cheaper in NY. Hubbys still wears same watch everyday..only thing i haver had to replace is the battery

Just some advise on resolving the issue. You need to work directly with the Merchant to resolve it. You need to give them a chance to repair it or replace it. So far you keep mentioning calls to Celebrity, but in the meanwhile, you best bet is to work directly with them to resolve. I believe you said they want you to pay for shipping and at this point maybe its worth that just to get the watch working. Then, if you can't get the watch repaired you can get your credit card company to resolve it (even if the payment was made). You must, however try to resolve it with the merchant before the credit card company can help you and try to resolve.

It is disappointing that there really is no such thing as a "guarantee" from Celebrity, but at this point the best thing is to try to get it fixed and usable.

Just some advise on resolving the issue. You need to work directly with the Merchant to resolve it. You need to give them a chance to repair it or replace it. So far you keep mentioning calls to Celebrity, but in the meanwhile, you best bet is to work directly with them to resolve. I believe you said they want you to pay for shipping and at this point maybe its worth that just to get the watch working. Then, if you can't get the watch repaired you can get your credit card company to resolve it (even if the payment was made). You must, however try to resolve it with the merchant before the credit card company can help you and try to resolve.

It is disappointing that there really is no such thing as a "guarantee" from Celebrity, but at this point the best thing is to try to get it fixed and usable.

We tried to contact Columbian Emeralds and I have searched high and low for an address for them with no luck. The only thing I have is the business card for the clerk who sold us the watch. Do you have any idea how to find them? An internet search, at least using my engine, turned up tons of stuff for CE, but nothing directly related to them. Thanks, in advance, for any help.

We tried to contact Columbian Emeralds and I have searched high and low for an address for them with no luck. The only thing I have is the business card for the clerk who sold us the watch. Do you have any idea how to find them? An internet search, at least using my engine, turned up tons of stuff for CE, but nothing directly related to them. Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Here is their website:

http://www.dutyfree.com/

You should be able to find contact info there. joelmarj is right, you should work with them to get your issue resolved. I purchased a watch from them last November, everything has been fine and they were a pleasure to work with. Sorry to hear you are having so many problems. Good luck!

First I would like to reply to the statement that the credit card company would take care of issues described here. We had a bad shopping experience

last year on the Galaxy. When I called AMEX, they at first issued a credit and then about a month later reversed it since purchases taken out of the store are not covered. If it was sent, provided that it was not jewelry or some other specific items that I cannot remember, the card would cover it. Not sure if this is the same with other cards.

It took me 11 months to get part of the issue resolved. It took many calls over five months to OnBoard Media, the store and two letters to Celebrity. The first issue was that the convertible necklace's magnets would not work. This was immediately reported to Discover Shopping tha very same evening, The forms were filled out onboard.

The second issue was that our local jeweler discovered that the rich dark colored Tanznite stone was chipped. Hindsight made us remember that it had been taken back to be polished so who knows what may have happened. After many exchanges of emails, the company agreed to look at it and it was shipped back. It took four months to have it returned after a variety of excuses. The magnets did not work. The stone was replaced with a light blue color. The dark color was the reason that we had purchased the stone.

The necklace was listed as 18 Karet and it is only 14.

The necklace went to my jeweler and it took and additional 5 months for them to locate the magnets that would work. To the credit of the store, they did pay the fee for the repairs, but nothing for the insured shipping for this expensive item and toll calls. My jewler lost money since she had to get outsiders to work on it. She had given me an estimate and stuck to that even though it was more. I still do not have that perfect colored stone, and there was no way that they would take the necklace back.

Lesson learned is NOT TO PURCHASE anything of value from any of those stores.

Mary

Wow Mary, guess I'm not alone, and from the amount of people who have posted having similar problems, wouldn't you think the people at Celebrity would have something to say? Think about it: We were on board a Celebrity Ship, using information given to us by a representative of Celebrity, the cruise line's name is written all over the shopping propaganda they give you, they even have welcoming signs at Columbian Emeralds for passengers of the Galaxy, you KNOW someone from the cruise line has read this thread, yet they don't have the professionalism to care enough to post anything.

We did have 1 positive thing happen. After 6 days we finally got a return call from Onboard Media. Their representative (Arelys?) said for Steve to fax them a copy of the receipt and a detailed letter about what happened, and how he would like the issue resolved, (can you say "total refund"?) which he did this morning. Now I guess we just play the waiting game. At least they finally returned my call. Celebrity, however, remains mute.

We will never use the shopping guide again and will proudly push the sheets back at the "Expert" who shoves them in your face as you get off in port. Never again. Newbies, please take note of all this.

Hope that things go well and quickly now that Onboard has contacted you.

I told them that I just wanted my money back and had not luck there. It took a month or more before the letter to Mr. Hanarahan was answered and he forwarded my comments to Onboard and it took another letter to Celebrity and to Onboard before they answered in response to the form filled out on the Galaxy, my emails and letters to them.

The jeweler stated that the wrong notation about the difference in the Karet was a clerk's mistake. They had told us at the time that it was the 18. We could not get any refund on that one.

Mary

We NEVER go to the 'seminars', which are paid advertisements for the stores listed on the shopping leaflet for each port. We NEVER purchase ANYTHING at those stores for the same reason.

We DO ask around and find out where the locals shop. For instance, when in St Thomas, we always charter Captain Max's sailboat and spend a day snorkeling and sailing. Two years ago I asked her about a place to buy a gold watchband and possibly a platinum setting with stones for my diamond solitaire. She sent me to see 'Vinny' at Royal Jewelers (NOT a 'ship recommended store'), and said she and her friends had bought several pieces there, and they were trustworthy and reliable. Bottom line: I bought a gorgeous setting that I have never seen anywhere else, which appraised at over twice what I paid for it.

So, ask around and AVOID the 'ship's recommendations' like the plague--ditto for shore excursions!

I told them that I just wanted my money back and had not luck there. It took a month or more before the letter to Mr. Hanarahan was answered and he forwarded my comments to Onboard and it took another letter to Celebrity and to Onboard before they answered in response to the form filled out on the Galaxy, my emails and letters to them.

The jeweler stated that the wrong notation about the difference in the Karet was a clerk's mistake. They had told us at the time that it was the 18. We could not get any refund on that one.

Mary

1.First experience - friend bought a camera in VI from one of the shops listed.

Got back to the ship and the date function did not work. Went to the port shoping guy but we had just left port so he says leav it with me and he will bring it back next Saturday. 2 weeks later camera returns - still not functioning. Calls the 800 number for the camera shop, guy says send it back - 2 weeks later brand new camera ( diffferent serial number). Has been working fine ever since. That model did not show up in the US til 3 months later.

2. Second experience with DI - Bought my DW a Tanzanite ring - friend bought a Tanzanite ring at EL JUNKO not recommended by the ship.

Friend comes home and takes it to her jeweler who says is a piece of krapola. So now she tells DW that we got ripped off too - Our jewler says not necessarily so she decides to return it. On board media says if you get an INDEPENDENT Apppraisal - and it is not what the appraial said - no problem. Closest IA was 60+ miles away so we agreed on a 90% return ( which was better than killing a day). Subsequently bought a Tanzanite ring stateside - Never as pretty or as unique as DI's and after 14 cruises we have never found one like it.

3. Last year while on Celebrity Constellation my DW's diamond ring broke ( Mounting). Next day in St.Kitts we went to DI to look at a new mounting. Negotiated a nice price but the guy says he has no jeweler to mount it - so take it to St.Thomas. They charge he says a $200 fee to mount but he will give us that as a credit. IF we are un happy - we can return in St.Thomas or exchage.

Next day we go to DI in St.Thomas. Guy says they never charge to mount if you buy one or the other from them - so we saved another $200. Appraisal was for $1900 and we paid $1200. Guy mounted it and resized it in 2 hrs + fixed a bracelet for my wife ( $30). When we got home our Ins co wanted a new appraisal for both the stone and mounting. Surprise Surprise - Appraisal was WAY above what DI said -So we are very happy.

I know for a fact that LS was pulled from RCI's list because of customer satisfaction.

Yes the $20 book is a rip off but everything else is not

We have purchased from Kays, and Joes Jewelry a well as a Tag watch in Aruba - have been very happy with all purchases

I think hermang's post says it all: This is an advertising program, but good or bad experiences can be had with those who advertise as well as those who don't. We've all had problems at Macy's -- sometimes we're happy with the resolution, sometimes not. Of course, we can march right in to a local store and demand satisfaction, not so easily done after we've returned home from a foreign country with an expensive purchase. In short, I don't put any more (or less) stock in credibility of a store because they advertise with the paid shopping guide. Caveat emptor: Before you go shopping for anything expensive, do your homework. If you cannot tell whether something is real or fake, and it will be hard to get back to the store if it's a problem, ask yourself if this "bargain" is worth jumping on. Personally, I have had good success shopping on cruises, but I try to avoid impulse buys.

Had 2 experiences with "recommended by Celebrity" stores.

1. 6 years ago, bought a diamond in Jamaica. Got home, had it appraised - was appraised for less than (approx 2/3) we paid for it. The store had a guarantee that they would refund if it appraised for less than what we paid. Got a huge run around from Celebrity, OnBoard Media, the store, et al. They wanted us to ship it (at our expense) to THEIR appraiser. YEAH -RIGHT. We had two separate appraisals from 2 separate independent certified appraisers that were within 2% of each other. I wonder what thier in-house guy would have appraised for. In any event, we decided that it wouldn't be worth all the expense and hassle (I think this is what these rip-off artists believe will happen 90% of the time).

So, 2 years later, we were in the same port again, and we decided to confront the store directly. We had the stone, the receipt, and all the paperwork. It just so happened that we showed up when the Celebrity rep was visiting the store. That was a very interesting experience, to say the least. The look of shock on the store owner's face was priceless. So, he tried to claim a) that it was not the same stone - so we offered to go with him to another store to have someone at least verify that it was according to his paperwork - which he refused to do. then b) that the price of diamonds had DECREASED since we bought the diamond!! We pulled the Celebrity rep into the mix, and his response was so weak and unhelpful that we decided that we would never buy from any store recommended by Celebrity.

2. We were in Aruba with my borther and SIL, and they bought an emerald ring from Emeralds International (against our advice). When they got home, the stone was cracked. They tried to file a claim, and have received nothing - this happened 2 years ago. This was a ring costing over $7000.

Bottom Line - RUN, DO NOT WALK as far away from Celebrity recommended stores as you can. THERE IS NO REAL GUARANTEE. It is completely a money making SCAM, IMHO.

Mary

Now you've got me concerned about the tanzanite ring I bought at Coloumbian Emeralds that I like so much. I'm worried that the stone might be cracked, missing diamonds or something, so I'm taking it to a jeweler today just to have it checked. By the way, I just go to the shopping talks for all the freebies they toss into the audience. I've won del sol t-shirts, del sol color-changing sunglasses, rum cakes, etc. I don't listen to a word they're saying because we know it's all just a money-making thing. I must admit, though, I felt comfy buying from Colombian Emeralds because I've cruised a lot and felt confident. No more! Thanks for your feedback.

I am sorry to hear of everyone's bad experiences. I think the real lesson here is that you should ALWAYS be an EDUCATED buyer. Learn how to use a jeweler's loop so you can look inside the stone and get a clearer picture of what you are buying. Learn how to "speak" the language. If you are able to converse with them in the language of jewels you have a better shot of not getting ripped off.

And keep this in mind. Appraisals are another scam that the insurance industry has set up. If your diamond ring were really worth 2x's the amount you paid for it, don't you think they would charge you appropriately? Instead you insure it for the higher amount (and higher premium) and if anything happens to it the insurance company purchases you a new one at wholesale cost which is lower than the appraised value.

Do your homework before you cruise and you should be able to steer clear of the lower quality merchandise. And you just might find out that you can get the same thing at home for less

Now you've got me concerned about the tanzanite ring I bought at Coloumbian Emeralds that I like so much. I'm worried that the stone might be cracked, missing diamonds or something, so I'm taking it to a jeweler today just to have it checked.

I did not buy it from Coloumbian Emeralds, sorry if you got that impression. It was at a store in Jamaica.

Mary

I am sorry to hear of everyone's bad experiences. I think the real lesson here is that you should ALWAYS be an EDUCATED buyer. Learn how to use a jeweler's loop so you can look inside the stone and get a clearer picture of what you are buying. Learn how to "speak" the language.

The manager showed us the stone under the loop, but he kept manuvering it

which in hindsight makes us think that he knew about it. Also it was taken back to be polished.

And keep this in mind. Appraisals are another scam that the insurance industry has set up. If your diamond ring were really worth 2x's the amount you paid for it, don't you think they would charge you appropriately? Instead you insure it for the higher amount (and higher premium) and if anything happens to it the insurance company purchases you a new one at wholesale cost which is lower than the appraised value.

I agree completely with the above. In fact, the apprasisal that my jeweler quote if the stone was not flawed.

Mary

Went looking for a Movado during our recent Constellation trip (Jan 2007). First stop, Aruba, and we were getting 'roughly' 35% off 'retail list', we thought we could do better and decided to wait. DW actually asked the on board shopping rep what he thought, and he agreed we could 'definitely do better in Cozumel'. So, in Cozumel, off we went, shopping again. Found a shop (ship recommended), and the particular watch we were interested in but, NO WAY would they budge on the 35%, despite relating the conversation we had with the on board shopping rep who said 'defintely you can do better than 35%'. The merchants just chuckled (I think at our expense).

I ultimately decided to go ahead with the purchase, knowing full well we could probably get the same 35% off 'list' right here in the states, but, hey, vacation loosens the purse strings a little more. Probably would not buy a watch like this 'regularly'. Overall, I'm very happy with the watch, I like it, it works well, and gives me the right time. No regrets on the purchase other than some irritation that the shopping guy was, evidently, not aware or was giving us a line of BS on getting us a better discount in Cozumel. (Maybe they get more back in Cozumel than other ports?)...

FWIW.

Went looking for a Movado during our recent Constellation trip (Jan 2007). First stop, Aruba, and we were getting 'roughly' 35% off 'retail list', we thought we could do better and decided to wait. DW actually asked the on board shopping rep what he thought, and he agreed we could 'definitely do better in Cozumel'. So, in Cozumel, off we went, shopping again. Found a shop (ship recommended), and the particular watch we were interested in but, NO WAY would they budge on the 35%, despite relating the conversation we had with the on board shopping rep who said 'defintely you can do better than 35%'. The merchants just chuckled (I think at our expense).

I ultimately decided to go ahead with the purchase, knowing full well we could probably get the same 35% off 'list' right here in the states, but, hey, vacation loosens the purse strings a little more. Probably would not buy a watch like this 'regularly'. Overall, I'm very happy with the watch, I like it, it works well, and gives me the right time. No regrets on the purchase other than some irritation that the shopping guy was, evidently, not aware or was giving us a line of BS on getting us a better discount in Cozumel. (Maybe they get more back in Cozumel than other ports?)...

FWIW.

Did some price comparrison before we left - Best we could do on the internet was 20% except one guy offering 33% Hmmmm smelt funny so we passed.

First port San Juan - went to a couple of the ship recommended shops - 20%

Second Port - St Maarten - 20%

Shopping guy said TAG has the best deals in Aruba - 20% and on the ship it was also 20%.

The guy at Gandlemans in Aruba had a HUGE selection though and the watch I wanted was in his other store - says come back in 2 hrs - sure enough it was there and still 20%. He did say don't ever take it to your local jeweler for even a battery replacement. Send to ProTime in NJ - they will service and replace gasket if the open the watch and Guarantee for another year.

Still have not seen more than 20% but I saw the watch I bought on our last cruise - price jumped almost $400 in the three years I bought it - so I am a happy camper.

There is some price control going on from the manufacturers on some items. In this case watches, particularly tag, movado, and rolex. And these manufacturers have 'caught on' to the Carribean 'deal'. They are now making it much tougher for a store to sell at a price LOWER than a certain percantage (20,35), and threatening to yank the product from that store if they sell lower. Consequently, prices on some of these things will be pretty much the same, regardless of where you buy them.

Thanks for the heads-up on this one, weeble. I would have been fooled by the fact that Celebrity said "they guarantee their "recommended" stores and then offer little or no help when there is a problem. I think I will just stick with local "non recommended" stores. The so-called "guarantee" would be the only reason to even look at the recommended list in the first place.

Clear Lake, Texas? I am very happy to have done some good with all this posting. I think it's so important to warn people that cruise lines, especially apparently Celebrity, don't give a heck about customer service. I still haven't heard from them, and since all of this is tied into one of their cruises based on information given on their ship...well, I just thought they'd care. I have to admit I like going to the shopping talks just for the freebies they throw out to the audience. Shame on me, huh?

Anyway, I've been spelling the store name wrong. It's actually COLOMBIAN Emeralds...not Columbian. OOPS!

The lack of tax is helpful, so if you do your research before leaving home, decide on a few things to look at, I've had the best luck buying on the ship because their stores offer 1 year warranties versus the 30 day guarantee by the port stores. I think they should do away with the propaganda "shopping talks." You know the ships getting kickbacks for sending customers to their "MUST SEE" recommended stores. Now that I think about it, it just makes me sick.

Steve faxed all the stuff to OnBoard Media today, so the countdown begins.

Again, thanks for all the feedback.

There is some price control going on from the manufacturers on some items. In this case watches, particularly tag, movado, and rolex. And these manufacturers have 'caught on' to the Carribean 'deal'. They are now making it much tougher for a store to sell at a price LOWER than a certain percantage (20,35), and threatening to yank the product from that store if they sell lower. Consequently, prices on some of these things will be pretty much the same, regardless of where you buy them.

seriously though - where you are dealing with non branded merchandise like a ring / bracelet ec - it is easier for the shops to chop prices but when it comes to stuff like Movado Brietling TAG etc - if everyone including the ship is 20% off and one guy is 33% I would be suspicious. I think the same is true for cameras

Weeble, I really feel for you and your aggravation. Have you checked out the Columbian Emerald's website. I think it's dutyfree.com. There is a 1 800 number. They are headquartered in the U.S. (or at least they do have an office there). If you haven't yet done so, try that. You should be very persistent until you get satisfaction. Good luck!

As for Eric, (we just returned, also), he like all the others with his job are mainly interested in commissions and don't know too much. In one of the jewellery stores we bumped into him and his partner. They were trying to convince me to buy diamonds (l had not even shown any interest in diamonds!). They went on and on about how great a savings it is. I told them that where I live, everyone buys diamonds from a wholesaler anyway and at least we deal with someone we know. They ignored that and continued their pitch! What a crock!!!!!!!

Anyway, Columbia is a big enough company and they should take proper care of you and your problem...with or without Celebrity. (Threaten to take them to small claims court, if you have to.)

Archived