Discover Shopping Warning!!

PICKLEBALL WIDOW

When we were in St. Thomas, we went into a Diamonds International and inquired about a replacement 14k gold wedding band for me. A woman showed us one, explaining "retail" was $1200, but they'd let it go for $400. We were looking at a SMALL plain band and my husband was incensed. We could find one in the states for $200 and this woman was insistent that my DH was a fool not to take this deal. She went into the cost of gold, blah blah blah... She told my husband he didn't know what he was talking about, etc. He didn't leave until he'd given her a "proper education" on the cost of gold, and how shady she was, he wasn't going to leave letting her think shed pulled the wool over another tourist's eyes. We ended up going to another reputable place in St. Thomas where we ended up purchasing a whole new wedding set, and got a decent deal. As others have said, you have to be educated if you're going to do well on the islands. You have to know how to use a loop, you must verify the jewel before and AFTER the purchase. You must do all of this before you set foot out of the store.

When we were in St. Thomas, we went into a Diamonds International and inquired about a replacement 14k gold wedding band for me. A woman showed us one, explaining "retail" was $1200, but they'd let it go for $400. We were looking at a SMALL plain band and my husband was incensed. We could find one in the states for $200 and this woman was insistent that my DH was a fool not to take this deal. She went into the cost of gold, blah blah blah... She told my husband he didn't know what he was talking about, etc. He didn't leave until he'd given her a "proper education" on the cost of gold, and how shady she was, he wasn't going to leave letting her think shed pulled the wool over another tourist's eyes. We ended up going to another reputable place in St. Thomas where we ended up purchasing a whole new wedding set, and got a decent deal. As others have said, you have to be educated if you're going to do well on the islands. You have to know how to use a loop, you must verify the jewel before and AFTER the purchase. You must do all of this before you set foot out of the store.

Most definitely, do your homework BEFORE you buy and you are less likely to become a victim of unscrupulous sellers (and a good loupe is also helpful :)). Caveat emptor.

Jewellery, like fur, is a blind item. With our naked eye, we cannot tell the quality. When I buy on vacation, I usually buy from "quality" stores. There are certain, albeit popular, stores I shun.

Once, In Hawaii, I did buy earrings in such a store. I knew the style I wanted and had seen similar for much more than I was willing to spend. Here was a pair I absolutely loved (and still love) for 1/2. Did I think it was the same quality. Of course not. But this time I didn't care. I bought them soley for style.

PS. I happened to wear them when visiting our local diamond dealer for something else. I asked him to check them out. He found that one of the bagettes was cracked! I still wear and love them and nobody else knows the truth!!!

You have to know how to use a loop, you must verify the jewel before and AFTER the purchase. You must do all of this before you set foot out of the store.

It is pretty much understood in the US that color grading can be off by 2 grades since it is being done by the eye (diff appraisers can have a different view).

If a color (of a diamond) is more than two color grades off it starts to be fraudulent. That is why you need something in writing that you have so many weeks to return the item. I know the ships have some type of warranty but it comes with a time limit. People make these purchases and often find out there is a problem many months later.

Angiet2,

You may have received good jewelry for a good price. But the stores in the islands are in business to make a profit, and they will make a profit. Even after they pay big bucks to the cruiseline to get on that approved shopping list. It is very common for appraisals to go for 2X more than what you paid. But ask the appraiser if they will buy it from you for 1/2 their appraisal price (or what you paid), and they will start singing a different tune real fast.

But the point is that unless you really know what you are doing, then you are taking a chance. And you are always taking a bigger risk at an island store than if you build a relationship with a local store. I can't imagine that island stores can match the quality and prices that we find in our local diamond district stores. They sell a large volume of expensive jewelry, and they have very little overhead.

I don't believe that I ever said the stores in the islands were the Red Cross or Salvation Army. As a business owner myself, I completely understand that they are in business to make a profit.

All I was stating was that NOT all jewelry purchases in the islands are scams or bad deals... I have dealt with several family owned stores that have been more than kind to me over the years, and when my purchases were appraised (NO, not at cheesy mall jewelry stores!), but by reputable appraisers recommended by my insurance agent, the purchases all checked out and were truly a fantastic deal.

I am sad that others have been 'taken' by jewelry store jerks... That's a shame since there are good, reputable jewelry store families that are well known by the locals and are seemingly, not screwing over their customers.:o

Angiet2,

You may have received good jewelry for a good price. But the stores in the islands are in business to make a profit, and they will make a profit. Even after they pay big bucks to the cruiseline to get on that approved shopping list. It is very common for appraisals to go for 2X more than what you paid. But ask the appraiser if they will buy it from you for 1/2 their appraisal price (or what you paid), and they will start singing a different tune real fast.

But the point is that unless you really know what you are doing, then you are taking a chance. And you are always taking a bigger risk at an island store than if you build a relationship with a local store. I can't imagine that island stores can match the quality and prices that we find in our local diamond district stores. They sell a large volume of expensive jewelry, and they have very little overhead.

I can happily report that my replacement handbag is on its way & I am still enjoying my new necklace set....

Guess it depends on whether you know the prices & merchandise & what value you place on the item... we don't purchase items often but I have some very nice pipeces to remember my vacations--one of the nicest is a gold palm tree pin from one of the store everyone hates---but the pin is unique & I enjoy wearing it...

best & oldest advice caveat emptor

Weebles I am sorry for the problems you are having with your purchase. I guess I never realized how lucky I was that on 23 cruises I have never had an issue that was not resolved. I have used the same store in St Maartin for 15 years... last year I purchased a diamond band with small stones and one of the stones fell out. The stone was replaced at no charge.. Everything I have bought has appraised for much more.. and when I had work on my Mother's ring they let me stand right with the person who was doing the work..

It is one of the recommended stores and continues to be one... I have never bought anything at CE because I never thought the prices were that great, and frankly I didn't care for some of the sales people.

I hope you have some resolution soon!

Here's some advice for all who feel the need to shop while on vacation. Take it or leave it, but I offer this sincerely. SHOP LOCALLY! Support your local economy. Not only will you help workers in your own community, but you'll probably save money at the same time.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

• 3 months later...
Sorry to hear our experience wasn't just a quirk in the system. We faxed Onboard Media all of the information they wanted so now we're playing the dreaded wait-n-see game.

If I sound like I'm more than a little peeved with Celebrity and Eric, it's because I am. I feel that all of this started because we took the advice of a Celebrity representative and it was at a Celebrity MUST SEE guaranteed store. If you read the shopping guide it says they give you a 30 day warranty. The guarantee for watches bought on board are for a year. Big deal and whoopee. Heck. Target guarantees things for 90 days. What does that tell you, aside from the fact that I'm a cheapskate and shop at stores that aren't exactly en vogue.

All I want is what I was promised. I BELIEVED Eric. I BELIEVED Celebrity. I even believed Colombian Emeralds. I'm angry that Celebrity hasn't returned my call. They obviously are not concerned about my little problem. SOMEONE from Celebrity should at least call and pretend to be sympathetic, pretend to care.

I'll keep all posted, and really hope the newbies out there read this and learn. Don't believe everything you're told by the shopping EXPERTS. Just go the shopping seminars, sit in front, and catch the freebies Eric and the rest of the "Experts" toss out. Take a crossword or reading book. ;)

No reading books and crosswords won't do. Take the FBI with you for these scammers so that they can start an investigation into this (excuse my French) pimping of stores by the port and shopping personnel.

I hope this doesn't get censored because this is really important information for those who sail Celebrity and use their suggested shopping program, putting your trust in the shopping "Expert", the "MUST SEE" stores and the cruise lines' ability to make you believe "untruths."

I'm one po'd little Cruise Critter right now. I don't know exactly how much info I can devulge without getting censored, so I'll take it easy. I don't think any of you are gonna believe what happened. Steve and I went to one of the "MUST SEE" SHIP'S SUGGESTED stores in Aruba (you know...the ones where you can buy with confidence?). To celebrate our anniversary I picked out a gorgeous dark alexandrite ring and Steve picked out a NO NAME watch that cost an arm and a leg (name brand would go here if I weren't afraid of getting censored). Within 12 hours the watch has broken, the little piece designating the number "4" had fallen off and was just floating around the face of the watch. The first thing we did when he was available was to go talk to the NO NAME male shopping "expert" (again, censorship?) and told him what happened. You know how the "Guarantee" on the back of the Discover Shopping page says that if you encounter a problem on the cruise to let them know immediately? Well, we did that, got a form and a ton of promises of resolution before we moved on to make more commissions with other shoppers.

We were promised that the NO NAME store would make it right, that we would be able to deal directly with the store itself, promises that they would make it right and it wouldn't cost anything, that postage would be refunded, etc. etc. yada yada poo poo.

When we got home we called the NO NAME store and were told that yes, they will repair the watch at their leisure and at no cost, but they WILL NOT refund postage, NO GUARANTEE as to how long it will take and they WILL NOT refund our money.

What's with the super-duper shopping guarantee? :confused: We would have been SO much better off to buy here in the states. What's with the promises? :mad:

Mad and sad at being let down by the NO NAME store we purchased the items at, but mostly really disappointed that we were told "untruths" by the NO NAME shopping guide. Any ideas on who I can complain to who might care? I really trusted the NO NAME Cruise Line, the NO NAME Shopping "Expert" and the NO NAME store.

Yeah, I'm upset about the taxi situation in Barbados, but that's another story.

I always shop in my home town where I can return anything for repair ect. Lesson learned.

I have learned long ago that we do not go the shopping sessions on any ship. Does not matter what line, we just do not go. In my opinion they are just free ads for the stores.

Marilyn

Our feelings exactly! I have received WAY better service and item quality by shopping at a local establishment.

Chris

They are not free adds. Celebrity, either directly or indirectly throught the shopping services group, receive a commission and/or a monthly stipend from each retailer that participates. In the end....guess who actually pays it. You got it, the lucky shopper.

Archived