question regarding rooms

shanakona26

Just came back from Disney cruise - it was very easy to see what cabins would accomodate a family of four (two adults, 5 yr old, 3 yrd old). We had a great time and now are looking to do another cruise... We probably will do Disney again, but how do you figure out what cabins on other cruise lines accomodate a family... do you need two rooms on the other lines? Maybe a dumb question, but I was trying to figure out, for example, what kinda of room on Grand Princess would hold the four of us? Thanks...

I don't know about all lines, but Royal Caribbean has direct booking, so you can look at the particular cruise you are interested in and then plug in 4 as the number of guests in the room; the computer will only show you rooms that will accommodate four people.

Days until my next cruise:

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;20;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Renaissance R1, July 2000: Greece and Turkey

Radiance of the Seas, July 2002: Alaska

Golden Princess, November 2003: Eastern Caribbean

Grandeur of the Seas, November, 2004: Western Caribbean

Most cruise lines accomadate 4 people in a cabin. (some evemn do 5)

Go to any online booking agency and make believe you are booking a cruise. Plug in 4 people and search for your cruise. There are a lot of options available for cruising. Dont stick with just one line- Im glad I tried some other ones. Kids programs on Royal/Carnival and Princess are just as good. Plus you get a lot more adult entertainment for you guys.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

We did the Grand and loved the kids pool hardly crowded at all and they had a great kids rates!!

email me with any questions icon_cool.gif

Big Red Boat 93 Honeymoon!

Carnvial Tropicale 94

Carnival Fantasy 97

Royal Carribean NE 98

Grand Princess Dec 2002

Spring 2005

We took our 4 kids on a cruise last year, Grand Princess to Eastern Caribbean. We got the teenagers their own room. We had two kids ages 11 and 8 in our room. Two bunk beds fold down from the wall and the kids enjoyed sleeping up there. However, my spouse and I had to sleep in twin beds as the cruise line's policy is that you cannot push the lower beds together in case rough seas cause a child to fall on you! Also, storage was very limited and we were tripping over each others stuff!

We were on the Grand a few years ago and pushed the beds together...strange...

The Grand had its good points and bad points...

Big Red Boat 93 Honeymoon!

Carnvial Tropicale 94

Carnival Fantasy 97

Royal Carribean NE 98

Grand Princess Dec 2002

fall 2005

• 2 months later...
The Grand had its good points and bad points...

Hmmm~~ would be interested in a little more on this, as we're considering Princess line, and especially one in this class of ships. :)

And for the OP, we've cruised with our kids 3 times. CCL offers quite a few rooms that are "quads" on their ships, which would accomodate 4 persons. Some of their less recent ships (fantasy class) can even accomodate 5 (although I've never tried this, wouldn't want 5 people all trying to use the same bathroom :D ). Most sites and cruiseline brochures will have symbols on the deck plans that indicate which rooms are adjoining, will accomodate triples, quads, have sofa beds, etc. So, with this info you can figure out the rooms that would work for you. You won't find the split baths on non-Disney lines, but I believe you WILL find family-friendly accomodations on most of them.

I've also checked that website, and when I put in our mini-suite cabin # it doesn't tally with what the Princess brochure describes. For example, the brochure says it has a bathtub and 2 tv's, the website shows it as having a shower and one tv. Just wonder which is correct?

That's a good question. I would probably go with the cruise line brochure and figure that the other site may have outdated information. Have you tried posting on the Princess message board to see if anyone has stayed in that cabin and could tell you for sure?

On the Grand class princess ships the minisuites have a full size tub, two TVs in a nice cabinate, two beds that push together, sofabed, and a drop down bed for the ceiling. This arangement is great for a family of four with 2 young children.

• 3 months later...

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean ships have various types of family cabins which are very similar to the Disney cabins -- but there are only a few on each ship and they don't have the divided bathroom Disney cabins have.

Almost all of the Celebrity ships have two-room family cabins with a wall with sliding door between the two rooms. One room is the living area with pull-out beds for the children. The other room is the bedroom. We have one booked for this March. They must be booked a year or more in advance, however, especially during times kids are out of school.

Royal Caribbean has various family cabin layouts. Some have a very large room with a sitting area with couch and chairs and coffee table on one end and an area with the adult bed on the other end and a separate small enclosed room with bunk beds for children. A few others are the similar but also have a separate enclosed room for the adult bed. The family rooms on Royal Caribbean also must be booked way in advance.

All these family cabins cost more than a regular cabin but far less than a suite.

Archived