Check Your Flights!! *delta*

UpstateCruizer

I know this topic comes up often on here, but I don't see it as a recent reminder so here it is. I learned when I first found this board that flights do change often, on all airlines, even if it's "never" happened to you in the past (as was my case until now). I booked these flights back in Sept when the cost was just a little over $200 after taxes. Great deal, but the risk was possible changes, so I took the advice I had read here often, and kept checking the flights. Today our entire flight from Syracuse to Atlanta to Miami on Delta was no longer there. I called and they informed me they had dropped both flights, and I should have been notified. I was put through to rebooking, and despite an hour hold time everything went smoothly (again because of advise I had read here). I found flights comporable to what I had originally booked, and had those flight numbers handy. I did not want an RJ or some other small plane, as I purposely booked our flights on larger planes. The nice man in India gave me the flights I wanted that now are showing as $697 flights, and allowed me to choose the seats I wanted. No increased charge and he couldn't have been more apologetic. Thank you again to all of the people who take the time to post her to offer their experiences as a guide for those of us that have "never had that happen" to us. If it weren't for you guys I would not have known to check :)

Not that I'm any kind of "leader", but on this thread, I think I can speak for the frequent flyers that post here. You are VERY welcome. Knowing that the information we share has made a difference for one of our fellow cruisers is the kind of inspiration that keeps us giving to the group.

As for your specific case -- a bunch of thumbs up for you. Let's see:

1) Checked your booked flights rather than just assuming all was well. :)

2) When a problem arose, researched alternative flights. :)

3) Researched aircraft types to avoid RJ's. :):)

4) Put it together to have the agent give you the routing that you wanted. :)

For a "never happened", you are doing great! Have a wonderful trip.

You are most definitely a leader. I've gained immense insight to the airline industry in regards to booking, equipment and general warnings to look out for based on the posts you share. Not only has that information provided peace of mind it also allows me to be as prepared as possible for any of the things that might go wrong and alter our first cruising experience. Now I'll continue to watch the flights until our cruise June 2nd to ensure no other changes occur. Thank you again :)

Our flights on Delta last year which I had booked months in advance had changed so many times that I finally called back, and with other flights from the website in mind, asked to change to those flights instead since there was now only 10 minutes to catch my connecting flight. They were very helpfull, apologetic and made the changes and the flights were better than I had originally booked and no additional charge or mileage used.

So, yes, definitely, check and recheck your self made flights and often it does work out to your advantage if you catch it in time.

I agree - the tips on CC are priceless.....

I just made those changes on Saturday and here it is Tuesday and yet another issue came up with our flights. When I logged in to Delta to make sure things were still set I saw that we had no flight from Atlanta to Miami and it showed a "schedule change". Looking on Delta's site it still showed flight 975 was scheduled. I called Delta and they informed me that they had a schedule change and we were assigned an 8pm arrival flight. When I asked what happened to flight 975 the gal tells me it looks like it was cancelled but added back on. She reassigned us to that flight in the same seats I was given on Saturday night. None of this makes sense but I will keep checking. When she asked me if I had initiated the schedule changes I just laughed. The reason I wasn't notified of the flights being dropped was Delta likes to wait until it gets closer to notify customers according to the Delta rep on the phone. She assured me that checking daily was the right thing to do as things do go wrong. I can see why travel agents wait til it gets closer to book airlines lol. So there you have the update and I'm betting there will be many more to follow.

Personally, I would advise against booking Delta after reading this thread. I booked our cruise flights on Delta far in advance. So far, they've changed our flights six times. Each time I was never notified and had to contact them and have them reconfirm our seating assignment and resend our e-tickets with the updated itinerary. I also booked larger planes (widebody) and had those changed to smaller planes. Times have been changed, flight numbers have been changed. It's getting really old dealing with this. I'd recommend anyone else.

On a side note... We're taking my parents on a cruise for the 50th anniversary. I worked a part-time job so I could surprise them with first-class air for the trip. I read Delta's policy regarding first-class meal service and found that even though one of our flights fell well within their guidelines for serving a first-class meal, there was no meal on the flight. I called Delta's Atlanta customer service and spoke with a supervisor. She looked into it and said everyone in Customer Service agreed that there should be a meal on our flight but didn't know why there wasn't. She got back to me later and said she discovered Delta has an unwritten policy that they do not serve meals on any flight in or out of San Juan regardless of the lenth of the flight. I wrote a letter to Delta Coporate which made me feel a little better even though I know it won't accomplish anything. Sorry, hearing of Delta got me going again.:o

I too feel that Delta seems to change flights more than any other US airline. It just seems everytime I actually talk myself into transferring at ATL (ugh) that Delta changes something and NEVER notifies me. I know it happens on other airlines too, but you would think they could at least send an e-mail like other carriers.

Thanks for the re-reminder, Crazed. There does seem to be a disproportionately large amount of posts discussing Delta flight changes. We have Delta booked for our TATL flights for our upcoming Med cruise (11 months in advance). We have kept a sharp eye out for changes and so far they have been minor.

I just had a change in a flight with Delta for next September. The net result was a 20 minute connection time in Atlanta, which of couse would not work. In addition, all other flights would require four + hours of connecting time in Atlanta, so I requested they just cancel the reservation and refund my money. They seemed shocked at the request, but transfered me to an agent that did process the refund and it appeared on my credit card three days later.

I fly AA all the time and they make changes as well, but their changes seemed to be less disruptive.

This is one area Southwest really shines -- once they set the schedule, it does not change!:)

Enjoy!

Kel

I just had a change in a flight with Delta for next September. The net result was a 20 minute connection time in Atlanta, which of couse would not work. In addition, all other flights would require four + hours of connecting time in Atlanta, so I requested they just cancel the reservation and refund my money.

I, for one, happen to be an advocate for longer connections (and this includes those of 3+ hours). If you are having a "travel day", those few hours can be a blessing. Some advantages:

1) No running for your connect, especially if it's an unfamiliar airport.

2) Cushion for flight delays on your inbound, especially in winter or storm season.

3) Reduced likelihood of a baggage misconnect due to short connection time.

4) Time to get a real (non-fast food) meal, now that food onboard is either overpriced or non-existent.

5) Ability to stretch and walk around, breaking up being stuck in a small, tight seat.

6) Shopping or exploring the airport (many have interesting shops, art displays or museums).

7) Overall reduction in stress, not worrying about you and luggage making the connect. Why start a vacation on that note??

Now, there are downsides. If you're on a business trip, you usually won't have the luxury of the extra time. Also, some personalities don't work well with "waiting". And it does mean that you spend more time in the "process" of traveling. To make this work, you MUST plan for something to do during the longer connect time or you'll think it's a waste of time.

Give it a thought when planning your flight options -- it might be right for you.

Back to Kelmac's post -- As for canceling and getting a refund, know that purchasing a new ticket on another airline might well be significantly more expensive, especially if you are getting closer to departure date. Be sure to check out your "other airlines" options (including costs) before ditching your booked (and priced) ticket. The last thing you want is to cancel, then find your new options are twice the cost, and then being unable to go back and get your lower-priced seats.

Archived