Add'tl Cost for Infants on Princess & Celebrity?

lou_vnj

Could someone give me a rough idea of how much Princess and Celebrity charge for an 18 month old infant as 3rd person in a room? Or point me to a FAQ? Is it any fee, a flat fee or depends on length of the cruise? I haven't been able to find much info on the cruise lines websites. I know that you seem to pay port charges and taxes for the infant and that they count as 3rd person for room selection (room must be designated for 3 persons).

I have been using bestpricecruises.com to try and get pricing as they seem to be the only site that allows you to choose to include an infant in the pricing. I thought infants basically paid no fare but this seems not to be the case.

I will definately be consulting a travel agent but wanted to learn a bit more on my own first.

Thanks!

As I started to draft this response, I realized I know less than I thought.

I can tell you this, however. Princess charges whatever the full fare price for a third person would be for your particular cruise and cabin regardless of the age of the passenger.

The price varies from cruise to cruise. For example, we sailed on the Goldren Princess Thanksgiving week (a very expensive week) and the third person fare for a mini-suite was $750.00 plus taxes and port charges. If we had gone a couple of weeks earlier or later, I believe (not 100% sure) the third person charge for the same room was $250 or $300.

What I don't know is if a third person charge for an inside cabin is different than a third person charge for a mini-ssuite, etc.

Days until my next cruise:

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;20;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Renaissance R1, July 2000: Greece and Turkey

Radiance of the Seas, July 2002: Alaska

Golden Princess, November 2003: Eastern Caribbean

Grandeur of the Seas, November, 2004: Western Caribbean

From reading these boards I have learned that only Norweign and Disney do not charge for infants ecept port and taxes which is a lot for an infant. Good luck.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

Thanks for the responses!

PattyW... that's what it appeared to me, that Princess does charge full 3rd person price. That's a bummer, we took 4 Princess cruises before the baby and are hoping to do another but thought we might get a break.

We took the Norwegian Dawn 7 day from NYC with the baby, and it appeared (we never got a receipt or cost breakdown from Norwegian or the travel agent)that the baby (15 months old) was either free (except for port and tax) or there was another ~$156 that I could never account for. When I checked bestpricecruises.com after sailing, they do show $156 as the fare for an infant for the 7 day Dawn sailings from NYC.

By the way, the baby enjoyed Norwegian Dawn very much and all the crew (and most passengers) were great to him. Always had clean highchairs available and Dino Dudes (chicken fingers) available in all restaurants. Any questions on the Dawn and infants, feel free to ask!

I can confirm that Princess charges the third person rate for infants, children etc. (Did it last year and this year!) The third person charge varies according to the category of cabin (inside, outside, balcony).

HAL has a infant rate - Its port tax and a small additional charge I believe (I don't remember exactly how much it was, but it was reasonable compared to Princess)

Don't know about the others.

Hope this helps.

Monarch 11/97

Elation 8/98

Mercury 8/00

Maasdam 7/02

Grand Princess 7/03

Island Princess 7/04

A few years ago, we sailed Radisson's ship in Tahiti, and they only charged port taxes (maybe $200 or so) for our then 18 mo old. We just got off HAL's Zuiderdam with 3 kids, and they were all charged approx $600 each, PLUS assessed the $10 pp /day tip that they automatically add. I don't mind too much (they DO generate alot of diapers), but come on, the ones under 1 eat NOTHING except we did grab some of those single-serve Cheerios boxes! Comparing the cost vs what we get, maybe Tahiti is the better deal!

Archived