Men's dress code for non formal nights - help me plan HIS wardrobe!

March Cruiser

We are sailing on the Grand Princess in LESS THAN ONE MONTH (can you see how excited I am :p ?) and I need to get my DH some clothes. I got him a pair of these:

http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product.jhtml?id=prod64522411&catId=cat150053

and they look really good on him, I was thinking of just ordering two more pairs in slightly different neutral shades. They will look a little more dressed up with nicer brown shoes, are they dressy enough? How about shirts? Is a short sleeved polo too casual? It says "open necked" shirts in the dress code, but does that mean more of a dress shirt?

Also, what kind of shoes? His feet are so big (14) that his shoes are going to take up so much room in our bags. How many pair of shoes did you or your dh bring? He has nice casual brown sandals, tevas, sneakers and probably brown dressier shoes - that is a suitcase unto itself :confused:

Any advice or tips would be great!

Chandra

They will look a little more dressed up with nicer brown shoes, are they dressy enough? How about shirts? Is a short sleeved polo too casual? It says "open necked" shirts in the dress code, but does that mean more of a dress shirt?

Hi Chandra,

I agree, I think it's the sneakers and the untucked t-shirt in the ad that's making them look a bit on the sloppy side. If the fit is good and he wears nice shoes, I bet they will look great for casual nights! :)

And yes, short-sleeved polos will be fine. DH usually wears Dockers and a golf shirt on casual nights, or a casual button down. I buy his slacks in nice neutral colors -- stone, charcoal, khaki -- and they're very easy to mix and match.

Your shoe list sounds good, except there's no mention of formal night -- if you plan on eating in the dining room those nights, that is. Or you can always rent the tuxedo on board. If it were me, though, I think I would double check that they have size 14 shoes available! :D

Enjoy your cruise!! :)

My husband wears size 13 so I totally understand ;)

I would have your dh wear his biggest pair of shoes on the ship - like his tennis shoes. My dh will bring one pair of multipurpose sandals, water shoes, one pair of casual brown shoes and his dress black shoes. Stuff socks and underwear, etc in the shoes when you pack them to use up the wasted space. I know - they will still take up a lot of room.

The pants will be fine with polo shirts and nice brown shoes. Also, he could wear those pants with a tropical shirt for tropical smart casual night. I am just going to plan out each outfit and write it down for him (and my 2 sons too). I know that sounds babyish but it will be easier for him and the boys since I will be sharing a room with my teen dd - we won't need any help :)

Those pants are great for casual night with a polo shirt or nice casual shirt. My DH wears the same kind of pants with his golf shirts and tennis shoes (nice ones, i.e., not beat up ones). The DH has never worn a tux for formal night. He wears a nice black double breasted suit, shirt and tie w/black dress shoes. He always looks great! Just have fun!

Yes, you've got exactly the right plan. My husband wears several different colors of Khaki type pant, with a nice T-shirt and collared short sleeve button down shirt on top and he fits right in. Of course, within minutes of meals, we both change to shorts and comfies and run around the ship for the rest of the evening. You sound like you have the perfect idea. I hope ya'll have a great time.

Archived