New York Hotels

ganman

Hi,

We need a room for Mar 3rd for our cruise leaving NYC. Seems everything is a mininum $200 or higher even budget places like Comfort Inn and as far away as the Chelsea Savoy.

Any suggestions. I've seen claims of what others have paid for rooms here in the past and I'm not even coming close to those claims. Also could use info on a good places to eat nearby hotels.

thank you

Ganman,

My husband and I are also going on the same cruise. We were going to travel on the day of, as we live in Baltimore and then pay to park at the port.

Then I started thinking, I bet their are hotels that will allow you to leave your car for the week, rather they pay to park at the port. It might all work out.

I have not begun researching the possibilities, but it sounds like you haven't gotten to far. Let us know if you find something.

13 more days.

Terri

Ganman,

If you are willing to take a chance at bidding...here is the

Bidding for Travel board with information on NYC hotels and recent bids. This website gives you strategies and information for bidding on hotels on priceline.com. We have had many successful precruise hotel stays using priceline.

http://p070.ezboard.com/New-York-State--New-York-City/fpricelineandexpediabiddingnewyorkcitynonewjersey

Maybe that will help?

Terri

Hilton,

I'm Canadian...driving down to Syracuse train station, parking there for $5 in a guarded lot (nights) and taking Amtrack into NYC. I explored driving down to NJ and leaving the car there or going on to the pier and parking. Didn't feel right leaving it in NJ that long in a unsecured lot. As it turns out taking Amtrack will cost about the same as driving down and parking on the pier. If I were you I'd look into taking Amtrack....check parking policy at stations I doubt they're all the same.

Good luck eh :)

hi, i've done pre- cruise stays in NYC twice before, have had some great suggestions from this and other boards. For under $200, you will have to dosome looking, I've used the Belvedere for around that amount and had great satisfaction. If yousign up for their e-mail offers you migh get breakfast inc for around $200 tax inc. But at this late date, I would suggest Priceline or Hotwire. I just booked for post cruise (NCL Spirit) . Got the Grand Hyatt for $135 plus tax and fees -total $166. Or last year, got Hyatt Regency Jersey City for $60Plus tax.It wasn't at all inconvienient, as the PATH train station was under the building and the ferry dock for downtown and midtown was adjacent. I was delighted with my Priceline purchases, but you have to be willing totake a chance. Good Luck!

Yes Canadian also. Took the Dawn out of NYC last yr and stayed at a hotel...I am thinking Best Western next to NJ airport. It was 2star hotel

and we left the car there for the 10 day curise at no extra charge. I believe the hotel was 160.00ish. The cab fare to the pier was 50.00 each way. I am generally a 4-5 star hotel kinda girl however it was a clean place to sleep and knowing I was being pampered on vacay for the next 10days was worth it. The cab ride was slick about 20min right to the pier

(which btw would have been a night mare had we drivin, it was under construction and heavy traffic also we were not familiar with the area.)

This year cruising out of Brooklyn and checking out the options. Might just park at the pier as it is slick getting off the ship hoppin in the car and high tale it home.

Good luck. Check out the web site above...I believe it is cruisepark&fly.

ME

hi, i've done pre- cruise stays in NYC twice before, have had some great suggestions from this and other boards. For under $200, you will have to dosome looking, I've used the Belvedere for around that amount and had great satisfaction. If yousign up for their e-mail offers you migh get breakfast inc for around $200 tax inc. But at this late date, I would suggest Priceline or Hotwire. I just booked for post cruise (NCL Spirit) . Got the Grand Hyatt for $135 plus tax and fees -total $166. Or last year, got Hyatt Regency Jersey City for $60Plus tax.It wasn't at all inconvienient, as the PATH train station was under the building and the ferry dock for downtown and midtown was adjacent. I was delighted with my Priceline purchases, but you have to be willing totake a chance. Good Luck!

I have stayed at the Belvedere twice -- once pre-cruise this past October and in May 2005 for 5 days. It's a very nice, quiet hotel, and will stay there again when I go to NYC. There are many great restaurants close by and a great place for a relatively inexpensive breakfast right around the corner. It's a diner, but can't remember the name of it. I get their emails and they do have some pretty good deals!

I would check on hotwire.com. I just did a little search for your dates and 3 hotels come up in the Times Square district....

3* - $134.00

3.5* - $179.00

4* - $229.00

I would go with the 3 star for just one night. It seems most likely that it is the Crown Plaza. A very nice hotel, right in the middle of Times Square. We will be across the street at Doubletree Suites (no Hotwire deals for this one but we are a family of 5 and need the space).

If you want something quieter, you just put in other areas (Midtown East, Cental, Downtown, etc.)

You can also refer to betterbidding.com to try to figure out which hotel you are going for. Takes a bit of work but the savings are great!

Good luck!

P.S. 7 mores sleeps!! :)

Depending on the amenity icons, the 3* Times Square is very likely to be the Paramount. Have a look at tripadvisor for reviews. If there are only 2 people, it would probably be o.k. for one night. The rooms are reported to be tiny (absolutely no room for a third person, not even a child), and have only 1 double bed (not queen, unless you upgrade for about $35 per night).

We just went through the same dilemma. I couldn't use the bidding sites because I needed a hotel that had parking for two cars. Some don't have any parking and those that do are usually $$$$$$$ per car.

We ended up making reservations on the Jersey side of the river right next to the PATH station. $139 including breakfast. Can jump on the PATH to sightsee in town.

Check out http://www.hotelsbythepier.com/ Look at the ones across the river. :)

Hilton,

I'm Canadian...driving down to Syracuse train station, parking there for $5 in a guarded lot (nights) and taking Amtrack into NYC. I explored driving down to NJ and leaving the car there or going on to the pier and parking. Didn't feel right leaving it in NJ that long in a unsecured lot. As it turns out taking Amtrack will cost about the same as driving down and parking on the pier. If I were you I'd look into taking Amtrack....check parking policy at stations I doubt they're all the same.

Good luck eh :)

However- are you aware Amtrak is off schedule MOST OF THE TIME??? Frequently hours late into NYC. I've been on trains out of Utica- next stop that were 4 hours late. They rarely are on time.

I NEVER take Amtrak any longer. I go with Metro North by driving to Poughkeepsi, parking is $4/day, free weekends. Trains run hourly to Grand Central. I would NOT consider Amtrak, EVER on the day of a cruise.

I frequently stay at the Super 8, excellent location. With priceline, be certain you only need one bed. Travel Inn is the only hotel I know of that has free parking. On 42nd, near 10th Ave??

Just checking NOW< Super 8 has availabity for about $150 for March 3.

• 3 months later...

Archived