Glory Western, 2/10/07 - The Good, the Bad and the HOLY CR@P!

bcs819

Bernie,

Great job and if you're not already in the career, you should consider writing. That was a fine piece of writing and it entertained me...which is NOT easy to do.

Please take several more cruises soon, just to give me something to read.

Great review. I too was on this ship and considered doing a review but you pretty well covered it. :) One point of interest about Nassau. That was only a 6 hour stop. Those of us who went to Treasure Island for snorkeling were some of those folks rushing back to the the ship. I'd say I got on the boat 15 minutes before 4:00 PM (the departure time) and that was going straight from the boat to the Glory.

The Newly Wed Game was hilarious. We went because I captured way too much sun in Costa Maya and was limiting my sun time on the fun day at sea. My wife did make use of the funnel deck that day, but the population up there seemed to be made up of mostly men with their shirts on. Glad they all left before she rolled over. :)

As for the Newly Wed game, the had a couple that was married 5 days and one that was married 65 years. Don't remember the middle couple's length but it was the older couple that made the show. For first time cruisers, you can always catch shows like this on the Television. The last day at sea this seemed like the only thing on.

I can also comment on the river Wallace tour. It's a little better when you do the river part in the morning. By the time we finished, we were all glad we did that part first because it was already becoming very uncomfortable. Unluckily for us, our AC went out on our bus ride back to port which made for a miserable ride, but I was still glad to be on the bus and not the river. This tour was also too long. We were among one of the first groups to leave and one of the last ones back.

One final note about the balconies. We too propped the door and I am not ashamed to say it. We used the door stop instead which was found under the closets by the enterance of the room. Of course or room steward always moved it back because they use it to prop the main door when cleaning. The door stop didn't work as well for my parents, so I would still take the bungee cords just in case. Also, the AC still worked with the door open.

Thanks again for a great review. Just thought I'd add a little of my prospective after you were done.

Well, I didn't for the life of me think you would get that all finished in one day. Certainly you must be a blogger, or if not, you might want to think about it. You have quite a gift for writing and keeping it entertaining as well. Great information! I feel like I'm well armed to arrive at the ship in less than 48 hours now. Thanks for bestowing all of your knowledge on those who will be following in your footsteps.

All the Best!

Well, I didn't for the life of me think you would get that all finished in one day. Certainly you must be a blogger, or if not, you might want to think about it. You have quite a gift for writing and keeping it entertaining as well. Great information! I feel like I'm well armed to arrive at the ship in less than 48 hours now. Thanks for bestowing all of your knowledge on those who will be following in your footsteps.

All the Best!

Great review....am going on Glory in May

Loved your Belize info...I have paitently asked a gazillion times about doing ONLY the Altun Ha and skipping the river boat...

my bf has his own boat and goes out on rivers/lakes in Florida a lot, he also goes deep sea fishing here...I have zero desire to be on a hot buggy river looking for wildlife..have seen plenty gators, iguanas, manatees etc here in Florida

Do you have any info on the ship tour to Altun Ha alone...or to do it thru a private vendor?? I realize Belize is a tender port, with hard logistics, however the ruins ALONE seem the best idea to me...

Ship or private tour?? Do you..or anyone else ...know the name of the "resort' the carnival trip took you to ?? It does not sound that great...I am so up in the air on this one...lots of people rave about the "river wallace" but it simply does NOT appeal to me <grin>

thanks in advance....hope to see you on the Belize port of call board too where your first hand advice might be of use to some people who seem to think that Belize is just a "walk off and have fun" sort of port LOL

Oh...more questions...thanks in advance :)

Looking for info on the bands/groups and music on board

I really enjoyed the "cover band" on Imagination, they covered tons of oldies, rock, soul songs....they were from Phillipines and I have read of other good cover bands from Phillipines on Carnival ships...they were amazing and I hope there is a good rock group on Glory?

How was piano bar....other music onboard?? Pool deck band?? Reggae or ?

Imagination had a good group that played by the pool too...hoping the same for Glory

appreciate any other "musts" and other tips...food tips etc...

looking forward to comedians as that is my fav type of show, I like bands and comedians more than production shows <grin> thanks again for a great review

(ps, more info on tendering appreciated too ...did you speak to anyone who did just ruins tour in Belize, thru ship or ? )

but look forward to the next installments. After all, those drink coupons MUST be used. We are on the Glory in April. Lookin' good. As for writing-try the local paper-they will try to pay nothing and maybe that's ok once. A lot of the travel information stories locally are generated by free lancers.

there was a 3 man reggae type band near the pool. We were only out there one day and it was so windy, it was hard to hear them. They may have played during the deck party - if that was them they were ok. Only music we were truly disappointed was Peter the sing-along guy. Had read a lot of rave reviews and went to see him on the first night. Grimaced our way through one drink and moved on. If he couldn't even make Piano Man sound good, we weren't going to be happy with anything else he did. But apparently we're a minority...

I get the impression after now having been on the tour that if you want to skip the boat you should do the Altun Ha and City tour. It was quite a drive to get there, so I can't imagine the bus taking you on a tour of anything further out, and I believe that tour was cheaper. ALso, when we went to Costa Maya the first time we did the ruins of Chacchoben. We enjoyed them as well, justa bus tour and they gave us beer on the way back. We had already done them which is why we opted for Altun Ha. Fom what I hear and read, the ruins in Cozumel are too popular and you can't climb them anymore, which is why we didn't do them.

it depends on what you drink. We don't drink beer or wine - just cocktails.

4 coupons (only sold in packs of 4) costs 19.50 making each drink 4.88.

The coupon is good on any drink up to 4.95 BUT if you buy a drink that costs 4.95 they will add a tip automatically making the drink 5.69 thus saving 82 cents per drink. Beer and drinks of the day in regular glasses are cheaper than the coupon, so it depends on what you drink. ALso, you can use 4 coupons and deduct 19.50 from a bottle of wine/champagne. But most single glasses of wine are more so you would have to pay anyway.

We drank a lot of frozen drinks, and at night, Southern Comfort, Cosmos and Tom Collins's. The only time I had a problem was when I asked for a Grey goose Cosmo. The premium vodka was more expensive so they charged me a dollar. After that I just stuck with Absolut Cosmos.

We use them because we get to buy them ahead of time keeping our S&S tab down, and because I really do get tired of signing for stuff. Saving money is an added bonus for us. Occasionally someone would ask for our S&S card (to verify we're not stowaways, I guess) but most times I just handed them the coupons and that was it. No one refused them or gave us any hassle at all. If we hadn't had rain on that first sea day, we wouldn't have had any left over. I have a formula I follow to determine how many to buy. Im sure some people reading said "Holy Cr@p - two people are going to drink 48 drinks?" But we figure two drinks per person at dinner (one before and one during), and then one at the show. That alone is 6 drinks times 7 days... plus a foo-foo drink per person on sea days, buying a drink for folks we meet, etc. 48 is nothing compared to what we saw some people buying...

Bernie,

Thanks for your very informative and entertaining review! I am so sad your cruise is over, it was like a great novel I didn't want to end!

I think it is great you used Room Service as much as you did - we never really ordered until our last cruise.. we loved lunch in our room watching others run back from the ports too!

Thanks again for sharing!

Catrin

Great job Bernie! Never sailed the Glory, but I feel that I have.. :)

Hoping I am able to find my own 'Charlotte' when I arrive in FLL for our cruise on the Liberty, April 14th.. :D

If you feel like 'jumping ship' and trying RCI in April 2008, click on my siggy banner.. Would LOVE to meet you in person..:p

Great job Bernie! Never sailed the Glory, but I feel that I have.. :)

Hoping I am able to find my own 'Charlotte' when I arrive in FLL for our cruise on the Liberty, April 14th.. :D

If you feel like 'jumping ship' and trying RCI in April 2008, click on my siggy banner.. Would LOVE to meet you in person..:p

thanks for the invite :) We tried RCI and liked it, but our sign and sail was even MORE expensive on RCI than Carnival. Only thing that makes us consider RCI again is 'the Quest" ;)

Archived