Airport Security

777mjrseb

Just a Reminder: No liquids are allowed in your carry-on whether it be a snow globe or booze, it’s not allowed in your carry-on baggage. Just wanted to share that with everyone since I work at the airport, and I had lots of people today return with liquor bottles telling me they did not know liquor was not allowed (It’s a liquid). Also airlines are charging excess baggage for liquor if it passes your allowed amount of bags. Just wanted to share that with everyone….

I think it all depends on the screener. I flew in December and put my small travel size tube of toothpaste in the ziploc bag. The screener commented that I did not have to put toothpaste in the ziploc that I could have left it in my carry on. We were told the same thing on the return flight.

Fast forward to this weekend when I get pulled out of line for secondary inspection and find out the culprit is (you guessed it) the same tube of toothpaste only this time it was in my carry on instead of the ziploc bag. The screener searched my bag and told me the toothpaste had to be in the ziploc bag.

Ok, I've been trying to find a definite answer to this since I've booked my cruise - what about contact lens? I'm talking about the ones that are brand new in the foil packs with a small amount of sterile solution. Do they go in the ziploc or are they OK in the carry on or do they go in the checked bag? I'm not concerned with the bottle of solution - I've got that answered. Every answer I've found so far is vague on the subject. I've never flown before & have no clue where they should be carried. Thanks!

Ok, I've been trying to find a definite answer to this since I've booked my cruise - what about contact lens? I'm talking about the ones that are brand new in the foil packs with a small amount of sterile solution. Do they go in the ziploc or are they OK in the carry on or do they go in the checked bag? I'm not concerned with the bottle of solution - I've got that answered. Every answer I've found so far is vague on the subject. I've never flown before & have no clue where they should be carried. Thanks!

I am concerned about the contact solution bottle...what about that? Can I take it with me?

I am concerned about the contact solution bottle...what about that? Can I take it with me?

This is his response in our roll call regaurding contacts.

dje....that's our plan too for Costa Maya. That's what I did the last time I was there. Check out the photos on this website http://costamayacruiseexcursions.com/SiteMap.htm.

Manny....here is an airport-baggage question. I was on AA's website trying to find out how I should take my extra contact lenses. There is a link from their site to TSA permitted items for both carryon and checked bags. I have always put them in my carryon because I am blind as a bat without my contacts and I really do not like to wear glasses. Have you been asked this before? I really don't want to put them in my checked bags just incase they get lost (if they do it will be your fault...LOL) and I am concerned if I put them in my carryon that this is not allowed. Contacts are not listed on the TSA site but prescribed meds are...but there is no long list of what you can take. My contacts are prescribed from a Doctor. Please let me know my best option.

How many more weekend do we have left? Last weekend I started going thru my summer clothes for myself and DH...just want to get my 'before cruise weekends' plans in order.

Talk to you all later....Donna:D

I know what you mean Donna I travel with contacts as well!! You can travel with about 2 sets of contacts in your carry-on with solution no more then 3.0oz per bottle and must all fit in a small plastic bag. Now if the contacts are in there boxed un-open it's not a problem, The TSA can be real picky depending on the inspector you get. So I would play it safe and just take two sets in your carry-on and the rest in check baggage. Sometimes the rules set are not followed by TSA!!! Hope this helps!!! I always travel with two sets and a small bottle of solution.

was just focusing on the liquor part, since it seems to be the most popular thing that is being returned to the counter. Any liquids, gel, creams and aerosols over 3.0 oz are not allowed in your carry-on. I have had about 3 people return with snow globes back to our counter, that’s why I added that in my post. Like it was mentioned above, it can depend on the TSA inspectors. Which sometimes can send passengers into a state of panic because, one says one thing and they other says something else. The TSA website is not very helpful, but it covers the basics. If you are taking a contact solution bottle make sure it’s less than 3.0oz

Also, they took my cold cream; since when is that a liquid? Remember to take a small ziploc for your purse for chapstick, lipstick and hand cream (must be only 2 or 3 oz.)

It's not only liquids... it's gels too, and that includes lotions and creams.

As for contact solution... that is an exception, you are allowed to bring that, no problem. You just have to declare it to the screener if it is larger than 3oz, it will go through a screening process and given back to you.

Just know the rules... they are spelled out pretty clearly on the TSA site. Make sure your bag is 1 QUART!! That is important... and nothing in the bag can be larger than 3oz (and no, just because your tube of toothpaste only has a little left in it, doesn't mean it can go :p LOL The container itself has to be less than 3oz!!)

I've never had a problem with solid lipsticks... but after the first several flights, I just started putting everything in the bag, just in case, as to not hold up the line :)

It's not only liquids... it's gels too, and that includes lotions and creams.

As for contact solution... that is an exception, you are allowed to bring that, no problem. You just have to declare it to the screener if it is larger than 3oz, it will go through a screening process and given back to you.

Just know the rules... they are spelled out pretty clearly on the TSA site. Make sure your bag is 1 QUART!! That is important... and nothing in the bag can be larger than 3oz (and no, just because your tube of toothpaste only has a little left in it, doesn't mean it can go :p LOL The container itself has to be less than 3oz!!)

I've never had a problem with solid lipsticks... but after the first several flights, I just started putting everything in the bag, just in case, as to not hold up the line :)

When I was going through Phoenix airport with a connection and had to go to another terminal, we had one screener tell everyone about gels, etc. He told us ladies that mascara was also considered a gel and it had better be in the quart bag. I had to dig through my makeup and put the mascara in the bag since he threatened that we would be held up and re-inspected if the mascara was NOT in the baggie. It just seems like everyone should get their act together and decide what is and is not allowed.

When I was going through Phoenix airport with a connection and had to go to another terminal, we had one screener tell everyone about gels, etc. He told us ladies that mascara was also considered a gel and it had better be in the quart bag. I had to dig through my makeup and put the mascara in the bag since he threatened that we would be held up and re-inspected if the mascara was NOT in the baggie. It just seems like everyone should get their act together and decide what is and is not allowed.

Mascara is definitely not allowed!!! It is definitely considered a liquid and states that it has to be less than 3oz on the TSA website... anything that even resembles a liquid, gel or cream, bag it, LOL! Many people don't even think about it... but there is SO much especially for women, that is considered a liquid or gel...

I would have never even thought of mascara as not being allowed. I have flown several times since the liquid scare and have never put my mascara in the baggie. Have never been called on it either. My Phoenix connection was the first time I have heard this. Who'd a thunk it???????

I would have never even thought of mascara as not being allowed. I have flown several times since the liquid scare and have never put my mascara in the baggie. Have never been called on it either. My Phoenix connection was the first time I have heard this. Who'd a thunk it???????

LOL! I flew twice on the initial day it was instituted... since we were en route to the airport, we had no clue... I lost easily $100 worth of stuff on the first flight... thankfully, since they had taken everything already, I dind't lose any more on the 2nd flight :rolleyes: I've flown MANY times since and I don't take ANY chances! LOL!! I have a baggie specifically for flights that has duplicates of everything... I have even picked up a baggie from TSA, and had TSA at the next airport decline the use of that bag! LOL!! So it's best to just be safe when you leave the house!!! :)

I'm from Canada and going with my boyfriend on Carnival's Conquest for a CC group cruise in February 2008. Our group has decided that we're all going to bring a bottle of wine from where we're from. My only concern is wether I will be allowed to take it on the plane either in my carry on baggage or in my checked baggage. Does anyone know the rules on this and if you are allowed to carry alcohol accross the Canada/USA boarder (when brought from home and not bought in a Tax/Duty Free shop)? We will probably be flying Air Canada from Toronto to Houston.

Thanks in Advance :D

Since contact lenses are prescribed medical devices, they should be allowed through security. Rules for medications and medical devices aren't the same. When I go through the airport, though, I do have all my contacts (I wear daily disposables, they come in the little saline bubbles) in the Ziploc bag, just to err on the side of caution. I'd say that they should be kept in the carry on, because if they're exposed to extreme heat/cold in the baggage hold they could be damaged. Also, if the luggage is lost, they could be hard to replace in a new city.

Deb NC, for the contact solution: from what I know, it does have to be under the 3oz limit because it doesn't count as a prescribed medical device. However, one way to go around it might be to go to your eyecare provider and have them "prescribe" the solution. I've heard of doctors putting labels on bottles of OTC eyedrops and saline so that they can be taken through security, since they then count as "necessary medication."

It does depend on the screeners. On my last trip, they were maniacal about the liquids at the security checkpoint. When I returned home, I accidentally packed a full-size bottle of sunscreen in my bag (really was an accident...I had it with my toiletries and just forgot to get rid of it) and went right through security without anyone even asking about it.

Flying back at Christmas from the Glory, we were at the Orlando airport. DH and I were in a rush and checked our luggage and then realized we had our toiletry kits in our carry on.

We rushed over to the screeener to pick up the plastic zip lock bags and pulled things out of our toiletry bag. we had one or two items that were over 3 oz. so we gave them to his sister who was flying later than we were.

Go through security....get home....and lo and behold, when I check my toiletry bag I find there was a bottle of shampoo NOT in the plastic baggy THAT THEY TOTALLY MISSED OR DIDN'T CARE ABOUT.

Their own security scanner is hit or miss.:(

I'm from Canada and going with my boyfriend on Carnival's Conquest for a CC group cruise in February 2008. Our group has decided that we're all going to bring a bottle of wine from where we're from. My only concern is wether I will be allowed to take it on the plane either in my carry on baggage or in my checked baggage. Does anyone know the rules on this and if you are allowed to carry alcohol accross the Canada/USA boarder (when brought from home and not bought in a Tax/Duty Free shop)? We will probably be flying Air Canada from Toronto to Houston.

You can put it in your checked bags... I have brought wine home internationally, I just always make sure I have the proof of where I bought it. You DEFINITELY cannot put it in your carry on!!! NO liquids or gels, or anything resembling a liquid or gel, more than 3 oz...

You will have to check the bottle into your checked luggage!!! Do you have a connection in yyz:D

Flying back at Christmas from the Glory, we were at the Orlando airport. DH and I were in a rush and checked our luggage and then realized we had our toiletry kits in our carry on.

We rushed over to the screeener to pick up the plastic zip lock bags and pulled things out of our toiletry bag. we had one or two items that were over 3 oz. so we gave them to his sister who was flying later than we were.

Go through security....get home....and lo and behold, when I check my toiletry bag I find there was a bottle of shampoo NOT in the plastic baggy THAT THEY TOTALLY MISSED OR DIDN'T CARE ABOUT.

Their own security scanner is hit or miss.:(

Well Put!!! when I came home from Houston, I had a bottle of shampoo and now one noticed

Are the scanners really picking up liquids? I too have had undectected liquids pass through as well by accident - even scissors!

Sometimes I think the TSA people are more concerned with being nasty and sour than actually caring about what is in our bags.

As a very frequent flyer, I have learned that you should just put EVERYTHING you can in your checked luggage, EXCEPT cameras, laptops, paperwork, etc. Screening is NOT applied evenly across the country. What passes at one airport may be confiscated in another.

I have had a small pair of scissors (meets TSA requirements) in the outside pocket of my carryon FOREVER. They got confiscated at PHX two weeks ago. I fly out of that airport at least twice a month and have passed those scissors through that very screener (Termnal 3-AA priority security line) at least 40 times. With all the shouting- TSA screener yelling "SCISSORS"- you would have thought I was the #1 violator and they just caught a major terrorist. It was really overkill. I didn't even ask/argue about the scissors-TSA was so excited I just grabbed my stuff and got the heck out of there.

So you never know. If you REALLY want to keep it, just put it in your checked baggage. No chance of confiscation and much less stress.

Are the scanners really picking up liquids? I too have had undectected liquids pass through as well by accident - even scissors!

Sometimes I think the TSA people are more concerned with being nasty and sour than actually caring about what is in our bags.

I just recently went through security at AA's terminal at ORD last week with a 16oz water bottle on the outside pocket of my backpack in plain sight. No one noticed it (including myself as I forgot it was there from a couple of days earlier) and I proceeded to the gate where I "found" it). Goes to show how good of a job TSA people are doing at checking our carry of for prohibited items.

Archived