What is the weather in Canada/New England in Oct?

We are cruising October 3rd on Voyager to Cananda and New England and I'm wondering if anyone knows what the weather is usually like in October. We have been reading the reviews from this summer and they all say that it is COLD. Just wondering if that means it will be even colder in Oct?

Thanks for your help?

Carrie & Chris

Carrie & Chris,

I was curious too, we're going 10/17/04, so I went to the weather underground website (wunderground.com) and did a history for the same dates. Your dates said between 41 to 55 degrees. Hope that helps. Enjoy your cruise. If anyone has actually been there during this time of year, please reply.

The saying here in New England is - "If you don't like the weather - wait a minute." In other words, it can vary from one extreme to another within a day or two. For example, yesterday I had the heat on in my car :mad:, today the AC.

For October, I'd expect days to be in the upper 60's/lower 70's (at the beginning of October, probably mid-70's). Nights will be cool (40's and 50'), so you should bring long pants/sweat shirt, and maybe a light jacket depending upon how susceptible you are to the cold. We generally don't get our first frost until late October. If you're lucky, you'll hit what we call an Indian summer (sorry if that isn't a PC term), where you'll have temps in the upper 80s.

I suggest you wait until the last minute to pack, check the long-term forecasts, and dress appropriately.

Hope this helps!

We in New England think that the weather in October is glorious- cool and crisp but usually sunny and bright. However given where you two posters are from it will be much cooler than you're used to. This will be particularly true on the water and in the evenings. Even in August we always have a jacket handy at the beach at night.

During the day I would plan on pants, socks, good walking shoes, a long sleeve shirt, light sweater and a medium weight jacket. Also you might find a light pair of gloves and a silk scarf very handy. Do plan on rain- it is not uncommon and will chill you down very quickly if you are not prepared. Layers are the way to go so you can add and subtract depending on the particular day.

By the way this has been the coolest summer I can remember. Except that it messes up beach days it has been wonderful- perfect for walks and gardening. Actually that is what fall days are usually like- not too hot or humid nor too cold or wet- perfect for sightseeing and tramping about. Enjoy!!!!!

Thanks for all the great information. We live in Houston and we too say "if you don't like the weather just wait a minute and it will change" which usually means it's raining and it changes to hot and then from hot to humid then to hot and humid and sticky. We are both originally from cold weather so we are looking forward to it. It's gonna be strange to have a jacket on hand though. I really hope the foilage is pretty that time of year too. We are staying in NYC for a week also and trying to figure out how to pack for both parts of our vacation. I guess we really should wait til the last minute even though it will drive me crazy not being organized and ready to go. Again thanks, and can't wait to see the beauty of New England.

Carrie & Chris

Oct 10th on cape breton isle, we saw snowflakes! So it might be brutal, espesially if you plan to use the pool. Remember, it aint the tropics.

Friends on VOS who reported from halifax yesterday said 62 and rain was the weather, and its July.

PMVogelAlex: Don't be giving us bad press up here in Canada. Even you folks down south have had cooler than normal temps and higher precip this summer; at least in the Northeast.

Earlier posts were right on, expect cool to crisp temps, I'm on a late September sailing and planning for low 50's, with 60's a bonus. I happen to like the fall.

We normally will get a few flakes in Ontario in late October, and the East Coast, including New Brunswick and Nova Scotia can get this weather earlier.

First snow is usually fun. Month after month of the stuff gets tedious! That's why we usually head for warmer climates in the winter. We're from the True North, not stupid.

Dress in layers and you will be ok! Strip down or dress up, according to your taste and tolerance.

CaseyT

Dear Txcarrie-

I'm not sure that waiting to the last minute will do you any good. Things can change here hour to hour. Yesterday was so cold I closed all the windows and dug out a quilt. Tonight we have the a/c on- go figure. I've had days when I go out in sandals and come home in a blizzard!!!

The New york/ new england weather is not all that different. - the biggest difference is the night time tempertures- NY holds the day time heat more.

All you really need to know for NY is........BLACK. Add a few more earth tones and you'll fit into NE just fine!!!!!

Blueberry, My husbands family lives in NYC and I'm always complaining about all their "black clothes". I think they need to liven up a bit with some color. Too funny that you posted about the "black thing". His sister doesnt even wear brown....I can't stand it. It's like a funeral all the time there. LOL!

Carrie

Fall is the best time of the year. You want to have warm days and cold nights, that will give you the best foliage. We love it when it is "crisp" and the sun feels warm on your face. Have a sweatshirt with you during the day and you will be fine. At night be ready for something a little warmer, especially on the water. You will love it here that time of year.

Blueberry, My husbands family lives in NYC and I'm always complaining about all their "black clothes". I think they need to liven up a bit with some color. Too funny that you posted about the "black thing". His sister doesnt even wear brown....I can't stand it. It's like a funeral all the time there. LOL!

Ha, ha - being from an Italian NY area family, I can certainly relate - the women ALWAYS wore black. We figured they did it because if anyone should die, they're ready!

Boy will you have the best weather the Northeast has!! Great foliage, it will range from beach weather to frost however. You'll have to pack as is we pack when we do a cruise in feb. from Puerto Rico!

Check out the long range weather a day or two before you leave but don't bet the ranch on what they say. We've learned from a lifetime of living in NE that all of the new scietific weather inventions and Dopler radar has still not made it any more accurate than old Don Kent with his weather stick, especially on the coast. But remember this!! October is the best we have. You qualify as one of us if you can sit through a Pats Game in Foxboro in Dec. and not whine once about the weather!!

Archived