Princess Air

ArizonaRalphie

I know it's early and I know Princess will book us on whatever airline is cost effective to them, BUT ------ we are sailing the Sapphire Princess out of Auckland on 02-14-08 and flying out of LAX on 02-09-08. Would Princess have a "chosen" airline for our flight? Based on the "pitch" shown on "www.seatguru.com it would seem that the extra 3" afforded on Air New Zealand would be ever so much more comfortable.

We just returned from Tahiti where the idiot in the seat in front of my had his seat already in a fully reclining position when we got on and didn't return it to upright until 10 to 15 minutes before landing. It was 7-1/2 hours of "sardine."

Ralph

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Arizona Ralphie,

Where were you able to get airfare pricing for your flight to Auckland? I've checked airline websites and multiple discount websites and all say it is too far out to book. We will be flying out the same day you are and are on the same ship.

We were on the Sapphire Princess 1/23/2007 sailing, Auckland to Sydney. We spent 3 nights in Auckland before the cruise and did our own land stay after the cruise in both Cairns and Sydney for an additional 2 weeks. We purchased our airfare exactly 330 days out, as soon as it became available. We purchased through United, and the per person cost, including all taxes and fees, was $853, LAX to Auckland and then from Sydney back to LAX. Since Air New Zealand is part of Star Alliance, we chose the ANZ nonstop flight from LAX to Auckland, and the United nonstop flight from Sydney back to LAX. We love Air New Zealand for the comfort and service, but actually the United flight back wasn't too bad as we were seated in the small 3-row cabin between Business and Premium Economy. We had window and aisle with an empty seat between us.:)

Kathy

Hi Arizona Ralphie,

Where were you able to get airfare pricing for your flight to Auckland? I've checked airline websites and multiple discount websites and all say it is too far out to book. We will be flying out the same day you are and are on the same ship.

I didn't actually get pricing for our flight. What I did was use November and based my rates on that. As it gets closer, I'll be able to zero in. By the way, when I used December then January as my flight months, the price began to creep upwards. It might be a seasonal thing or it might just be taking advantage of the early bookers. Time will tell.

Ralph

Hi Arizona Ralphie,

Thanks for the explanation of your airfare rates. Your earlier posting sounded as though you had already booked with the $800. savings and I could not understand how you were able to do it.

Actually, you have to wait 330 days till the LAST leg of your trip before you can book. The flight websites as of today (3/17) are only showing flights available to Feb. 11. Since the ship gets to Sydney on Feb. 26, if you're returning to LAX that day, then you have to wait till 330 days from Feb. 26 to book. If you're staying in Australia after the cruise (as we are), then you'd have to wait till 330 days from the actual date you will be flying home.

If you're staying more than a few days in Australia, when doing your 330 day calculation, don't forget that next year is Leap Year.

By the way, when I used December then January as my flight months, the price began to creep upwards. It might be a seasonal thing or it might just be taking advantage of the early bookers.
Prices to Australia and New Zealand from the northern hemisphere are always seasonal. From the UK, prices for the most expensive time of the year (the two weeks before Christmas) are generally about double the prices for the cheapest time of the year (mid-April to end-June).

• 4 weeks later...
We have been looking for air prices from LAX for the next cruise 2/26/08. The best I have seen was $1945 each--Princess is charging $1500.

R/T and open jaw were about the same.

Try Air New Zealand for the flight from LAX to AKL and back from SYD to LAX (by way of AKL) Looks to me that you can get the "multi-destination" package for less than $1300.

Ralph

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just got back from the North Island of NZ and the best deal I found had a few hours layover in Nadi, Fiji. After sitting in seats for 10.5 hrs it was a joy to get the blood into our bums again.

We flew Air Pacific, Fiji's national carrier which is 49% owned by QANTAS and LAK/NAN/AKL rtn was USD$1288. That price may differ depending how far out you book.

Cioa for now!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Was reading your posts and I just booked Air New Zealand thru www.bookingbuddy.com. They have some great rates and they also have a Premium Economy Class which may benefit some who want more room. We booked seats 22 J&K on the upper deck of the 747-400. I don't mind paying a bit more to have more room on this flight. Have had 2 knee replacements and I get very stiff if I can't move around a bit.

Hope this helps those who are looking.

Charlene

Archived