Best safe beach near dock in Kauai?

latterdayesther

We will be on the Island Princess 4-11-07, and just want to get off the ship, find the nicest beach, and spend the day. We have no shore excursions planned. 'Would be very grateful for any advice and/or directions. Thanks! :)

latterdayesther

Kalapaki Beach, located in front of the Marriott Resort. A 10 minute walk from the ship or there are free shuttles that runs there.

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/kauai/html/beaches/kalapaki_beach.html

kalapaki_beach3.jpg

Too bad you just want a beach day on Kauai. Kauai is the prettiest of ALL the islands! LOTS of waterfalls, canyons, fields of coffee plants, quaint towns, just like you imagined Hawaii 50 years ago. Kalapaki Beach is very nice, but so is Poipu, Annini, Salt Pond, - I could go on and on! Do I sound like I love it there? You bet!

I like the sound of this day at the beach. Are there beach chairs to rent?

Tou can rent Kayaks, sailing boats, etc., I'm not sure about chairs. There is also the facilities of the Marriott right there and Duke's Canoe Club and Bar right on the beach grounds.

kauai-kalapaki-beach.jpg

Kalapaki Beach in Lihue fronts a lavish hotel (The Kauai Marriott). Access to the beach is open to all, but if you want to use the hotel pool and showers you'd do best to order something to eat. Kalapaki has gentle waves most of the time, with some long swells brushing the sandy-bottom beach.

This is one of the best swimming beaches on the island, and it provides fair snorkeling. It's also a great place to attempt bodysurfing or to begin with a board.

Tou can rent Kayaks, sailing boats, etc., I'm not sure about chairs. There is also the facilities of the Marriott right there and Duke's Canoe Club and Bar right on the beach grounds.

TSR_DK_last1_250h.jpg

Kalapaki Beach in Lihue fronts a lavish hotel (The Kauai Marriott). Access to the beach is open to all, but if you want to use the hotel pool and showers you'd do best to order something to eat. Kalapaki has gentle waves most of the time, with some long swells brushing the sandy-bottom beach.

This is one of the best swimming beaches on the island, and it provides fair snorkeling. It's also a great place to attempt bodysurfing or to begin with a board.

kauai-kalapaki-beach.jpg

This is a bit like going to disneyworld, doing the first kiddie ride you see, and then leaving the park. You've got to be kidding. :)

Well it's your vacation, big missed opportunity though.

Most of the non-NCL cruise ships don't even go to Kauai at all anymore, you are lucky yours does, but you're not even taking advantage of it. Kauai is the prettiest island.

kauai-kalapaki-beach.jpg

I'm sorry, but that is not true. Just because you order something to eat doesn't mean you have the use of the resort pools and other facilities. Of course you are correct about the beaches, but very, very few resorts/hotels in Hawaii even offer day passes much less allow non-guests to use the pools and so forth just for dining at their restaurants.

beachchick

I'm sorry, but that is not true. Just because you order something to eat doesn't mean you have the use of the resort pools and other facilities. Of course you are correct about the beaches, but very, very few resorts/hotels in Hawaii even offer day passes much less allow non-guests to use the pools and so forth just for dining at their restaurants.

beachchick

The above picture and words are from www.destination360.com

http://www.destination360.com/north-america/us/hawaii/kauai/kalapaki-beach.php

Deleted

No worries!

My husband and I stayed at the Kauai Marriott Beach Club Resort for a week a couple of years ago. We toured every day, and saw all the beauties of the Island, but it was in January and the seas were rough and stormy(even at Poipu).

So on this trip in April, we were looking for a beach that was protected, (and facilities would be nice), just to relax for the day.

I would like to be clear, though, on what the hotels allow. I understand Hawaiian law allows access, but I would find it unpleasant to be driven off if I wanted to use the restroom or something.

I just don't know the island well enough to pick! Thanks for your ideas.

I do appreciate all of you taking the time to answer.

Esther :D

No worries!

My husband and I stayed at the Kauai Marriott Beach Club Resort for a week a couple of years ago. We toured every day, and saw all the beauties of the Island, but it was in January and the seas were rough and stormy(even at Poipu).

So on this trip in April, we were looking for a beach that was protected, (and facilities would be nice), just to relax for the day.

I would like to be clear, though, on what the hotels allow. I understand Hawaiian law allows access, but I would find it unpleasant to be driven off if I wanted to use the restroom or something.

I just don't know the island well enough to pick! Thanks for your ideas.

I do appreciate all of you taking the time to answer.

Esther :D

No problem using the restrooms or walking through the resort itself; it's primarily the pools/pool complexes, spa, and that sort of thing. BTW, Hawaiian law provides for access to the beaches only. The hotels/resorts are not required to allow access to any of their private facilities.

Almost no Hawaii resorts offer day passes of any kind or allow public access to their recreational facilities. Pretty much all allow public access for walking through the resort, eating/drinking at the restaurants/bars and shopping (anywhere that you will spend money), using the restrooms, and using the rinse-off showers (although some places have signs over the beach showers that they are for guests only--it's not a problem unless you stand there for 10 minutes rinsing off while resort guests have to wait).

RSWBADGER: Thanks for explaining where you got the information. Unfortunately, just because a travel site says something doesn't make it true. It's up to the resort, not Destination360. It's possible that people have been able to sneak into the pools, but the Kauai Marriott does not offer day passes for non-overnight guests (I checked just for fun).

There's no way that the Marriott is going to freely open up its pools to the possibility of hundreds of cruise pax who don't want to take an excursion or what have you, and have instead decided to walk over to Kalapaki Beach. The resort guests would be really unhappy (with good reason) if they couldn't get into the pools or use the lounges which they as guests have paid for because non-paying "visitors" were using them.

No other source I found even hints at the pools being open to non-guests, regardless of whether they've eaten in the restaurant there. Sure, people can try to sneak in, but its against the resort's policy.

beachchick

Beachchick & all,

Once again, thank-you for your good insider information. I am finding that the "Revealed" guidebooks quite detailed and helpful, and I think we will try to get a bus up to Lydgate Beach, as it looks and sounds quite protected and has a lifeguard as well.

If that doesn't work it will probably be Kalapaki Beach. :D

Esther

Archived