Cruise Ship tourist kills an attacker in Costa Rica

TwoCruisers

I just read on CNN about a cruise ship tourist killing an attacker in Costa Rica.

Below is part of the news report.

"SAN JOSE, Costa Rica (AP) -- A tour group of U.S. senior citizens fought off a band of muggers in eastern Costa Rica, sending two of the assailants fleeing and killing a third, police said Thursday.

One of the tourists -- a retired U.S. serviceman whom officials estimated was in his 70s -- allegedly put Warner Segura in a headlock and broke his clavicle after the 20-year-old and two other men armed with a knife and gun held up their tour bus Wednesday, said Luis Hernandez, the police chief of Limon, 80 miles east of San Jose.

The Americans had arrived in Limon on the Carnival Cruise Lines ship Carnival Liberty."

I am leaving Tuesday for a Panama Canal cruise that stops in Costa Rica.:eek:

"It was a group of 12 senior citizens from the United States who were going to spend a few hours in the area, but their tour bus entered a dangerous sector known as Cieneguita", Hernandez said.

I wonder if their tour bus was supposed to go to that area of town. The article almost makes it sound like an accident.

I don't understand how you can kill a person by breaking his shoulder blade (clavicle). I've been to Costa Rica 3 times, both Limon and Puntarenas, and not had any problem. I wouldn't let this scare me away. I hope they aren't going to prosecute the tourist!

I've been to Costa Rica 3 times, both Limon and Puntarenas, and not had any problem. I wouldn't let this scare me away. I hope they aren't going to prosecute the tourist!

I agree if you would be afraid to go to this port then you may as well stay home because it happens everywhere. :rolleyes:

Just think about what we don't hear about. :eek:

No doubt the senior cruiser who defended himself and the others feels bad about the attacker dying, but my sincere compliments and hat off to this hero for doing what needed to be done. More often than not, the innocent tourists are the ones who end up injured or worse.

More fodder why the ports (usually third world countries) do not appeal to us anymore. We enjoy cruising, not so much the ports anymore. There is nothing we need or want at this point in our lives ...except memories for our dotage. Would like to try zip lining though...that would be a breeze after sky diving..which I have tried and will again! Hard to find any takers though amongst friends and family.

I don't understand how you can kill a person by breaking his shoulder blade (clavicle). I've been to Costa Rica 3 times, both Limon and Puntarenas, and not had any problem. I wouldn't let this scare me away. I hope they aren't going to prosecute the tourist!

We spent a lovely day in Costa Rica in October. We docked at Puntarenas and took a private tour. Nowhere did we see any sign of trouble. We found the Costa Rican's to be very friendly and proud of their country and how well their economy is doing.

Jennie

Wow! That tourist must have been some sort of "He-Man." My husband is a Physical Therapist/Bicycle Coach and he works with people who are in their 80's and 90's even who are SO STRONG. "Old" is the new "young." :)Still, I've never heard of a broken clavicle killing anybody. My husband has broken his clavicle twice (He's a bicyclist), and I know a TON of my bicycling friends who've had badly broken clavicles. Shoot...Tyler Hamilton rode 21 days of the Tour de France with a broken clavicle (and a will of steel). There must be more to it.

I'm so glad that everybody on this thread seems to realize that this could happen anywhere.

Thanks to the OP for sharing this. It's an amazing story, and so sad. How ridiculous to die just to get a few bucks off some tourists. Unfortunately, I don't think any criminals are reading that article and seeing the sad irony.

Shoulder blade= scapulae

to break the other two!:mad:

Good for him and again I hope he is cleared of any charges.:)

Unfortunately, in most countries, one is considered guilty until proven innocent.

In this case, I hope that the assailants are the ones they are considering as guilty until proven innocent.icon_cop.gif

Archived