Windstar Sold

SeattleJ

Just back from sailing on the windsurf 3/4-3/11/2007. If anyone has any concern about the boat being sold and service, don't! The service was better than ever, 5 star all the way! The food, the chef, the waiters, the bar staff, the room service, the pursers desk, security, the shore excursions staff, and the captain and his crew could not have provided a nicer time! Even the highest in command were hands on overseeing things were right. This was our third sailing and I cannot tell you what a pleasure it was to sail on this boat...it was a fine, fine job by a classy, organized, efficient, experienced, well trained, extremely high quality staff who could not be more helpful, accommodating or pleasant. Cheers to Windsurf staff!

I can almost assure you this will be bad news for all of us who have loved Wind Star. There are two things I can almost guarantee. Maybe not right away, but as soon as Majestic takes over. One, the prices will skyrocket. That's what Majestic did with Delta Queen. The fares for their whole fleet are totally unrealistic and uncompetitive. Two, Majestic won't last. Trust me on this one. The ships need a major infusion of cash for updating and remodeling. I can't see it happening. Sadly, 17 years since my first one, I've taken my last Wind Star cruise.

It was wonderful while it lasted.

I called it. In the March 5th edition of Travel Trade magazine that just landed on my desk, was an article entitiled "Windstar New Owner Airs Plans" containing the following quote from Joe Ueberroth, chairman, president, and CEO of Ambassadors International Inc.:

"Ueberroth said Windstar's cruise per diem is underpriced compared to competitors and that the ships can earn $100 - $300 a day more."

The prices are going up.

I agree, we have probably seen our last Windstar cruise. We have seen HAL, over the last few years, increased the price for Foremast Club members (remember when Alumni received a 2 for 1 discount?). If they now raise the prices for a 7 day cruise by $700 - $2,000 they will be way out of line. Windstar is nice but there is a limit on what people will pay for the casual experience.

I called it. In the March 5th edition of Travel Trade magazine that just landed on my desk, was an article entitiled "Windstar New Owner Airs Plans" containing the following quote from Joe Ueberroth, chairman, president, and CEO of Ambassadors International Inc.:

"Ueberroth said Windstar's cruise per diem is underpriced compared to competitors and that the ships can earn $100 - $300 a day more."

The prices are going up.

This seems to be the same philosophy that was used in determining the 2007 fares for the Delta Queen boats. Only now, using the above as a business model, Delta Queen sales are down, the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN is not coming out until September, The AMERICAN QUEEN is currently making her first trip of the year with empty berths, and two for one fares are being offered, too little too late!

The prices are going up.

We decided to lock in the prices before they go up. We are booked on the Wind Star on 1/12/08, Costa Rica RT. Anyone want to join us?

ML

• 2 weeks later...

The prices are going up.

Means those of us that have already purchased may be getting a deal. Maybe they will start upgrading the current trips to justify a higher price and we will be the beneficiary. It seems the posts on this board are by people that do not mind paying for quality.

Archived