Celebrity 2008/2009 Itineraries Thread

Andy

I did QM2 at the end of October and we had one quite rough day - force 5 but I have had worse in the caribbean. We also had a day where we say out in our coats and one just in jumpers, it is great fun - a cruise with no stops! Very relaxing. It is worth remembering that you can get bad weather any time of the year - so just book what you fancy and enjoy.

Claire ,

what did you book? We booked yesterday for Galaxy E Medit.(Italy , Greece) It will be late in the season, Nov, but that fit with our schedule & most of it is sightseing & ruins anyhow. We got a great balcony cabin, decent price. Hope Galaxy is holding up well! This Sept we have the W Medit on Century so will let you know how it is.

BTW--we did a local trip to Halifax on QM2 in high seas & it is probabaly the only ship I would consider for a TA--based on it's construction & ocean liner status!

I have also been waiting for the calendar to open for Nov and Dec 2008. My husband and I would like to do a TA in one of those months. Question...should we be looking at May instead. Is one direction rougher than the other with respect to weather and the seas.

Joy

Joy, as others here have said, the Atlantic (especially the North Atlantic) is liable to be rough at any time. Trying to guess ahead of time when it won't be rough is like trying to guess what number will come up next in roulette.

Contrary to expectations, we had better weather in January 2006 than we had in April 2006. But you never know.

The main factor we now consider is the time factor. On westbound crossings, you gain an extra hour every day or so, so it's like you're being given 25 hours for the price of 24. On eastbound crossings, it's the reverse. The succession of 23-hour days can get you rather bleary-eyed, & you find yourself getting up later & later each morning.

I did QM2 at the end of October and we had one quite rough day - force 5

Ha! Force 5? That's scarcely enough of a breeze to move a frigate along at five knots, even with skysails & studdingsails set aloft & alow!

we did a local trip to Halifax on QM2 in high seas & it is probabaly the only ship I would consider for a TA--based on it's construction & ocean liner status!

The Connie handled 30-foot swells & force 10 winds amazingly well last April/May--much better than we had expected. And don't disparage the QE2--she was pitching about with spray coming over the bow, but that's the way it ought to be on the North Atlantic.

I'm hoping to try the Black Prince (11,209 grt) in the Bay of Biscay next winter. I hear that's a real experience!

Archived