Any good novels to read on my cruise?

March Cruiser

I posted this on the Cruise Rituals thread under the same topic, but a great author to read is Randy Wayne White and his Doc Ford series. He lives in the south western part of Florida and keeps that theme throughout his books. Very interesting and easy reads.

Any of David Sedaris' books. They are so funny you will find yourself reading parts aloud to your friends because they will want to know what you are laughing so hard about. Just delightful.

Currently reading Sidney Poitire's new book, and it is very good, and portable!

I read all the time - anywhere from 75 to 150 books a year - My two favorite book ever are

A dog named Marley - Must read just remeber to have a box of tissues - I read it on a plane and everyone was concerned about my crylng

Five people you meet in Heaven - This book was so good my then 16 year old son - yes I said son who is a bike machanic read the book in a day and a half - A can't put down book

Have a great cruise

Debbie

English Mysteries:

Any book by Elizabeth George or P.D. James --great characterization

Jane Austen Mystery Series by Stephanie Barron

"Monk" Series (not the television "Monk") by Anne Perry

"Beekeeper's Apprentice" and rest of series by Laurie King (more adventures of Sherlock Holmes and woman who is his intellectual equal)

Any book by Charles Todd (captures England after WWI)

American Mysteries:

"In the Bleak Midwinter" and rest of series by Julia Spencer-Fleming

"Seneca Falls Inheritance" and rest of series by Miriam Monfredo

"The Alienist" by Caleb Carr

"The Dante Club" by Matthew Pearl

Fiction:

"Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" by Lisa See

"Miss Julia Speaks her Mind" and rest of series by Ann B. Ross (very funny)

"Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!" by Fannie Flagg

"Boy's Life" by Robert McCammon (wonderful coming of age story with mystery thrown in)

Great thread! Before and during the trip I usually like to read novels that have some basis in the countries I'm going to be visiting . I feel like I get a flavor for the culture before I'm actually there. I go online with a book company and do a search under the specific country and pick my books from that.

For Italy I just finished Pompeii and the Borgia Brides and they were quite good.:)

Gail Bowen writes a series of murder mysteries set in Saskatchewan. I like it because the main character is a single mom (dead husband was a politician) and her family life is well-integrated into the story. The only caveat I have is that she is quite liberal with her teenage children and some people might be offended by that.

For Shopaholic fans, "Shopaholic and Baby" is in the stores now!

Viv

I am hooked on the J.D. Robb series "... in death". She has like 10-15 books in the series. They chronicle a female detective in the year 2059. These are great reads. They suck you in because of the future piece without being too sci-fi. You get murder, mystery, a little romance, and great characters. All the titles end "in death". JD Robb is a psydenom (spelling?) for Nora Roberts.

The Celestine Prophecy.... not really a mystery, but its mysterious :) .. .one of the 3 books that I have read multiple time (to clarify, I have read much more than three books, but only three multiple times :) )

The Beach by alex garland... HATED the movie... loved the book

The Tesseract by the same author.... more suspensefull and intruiging than mystery....great reads...the beach especially while on vacation...

I just finished reading " My Sisters Keeper" and wow that was a great book. I had a hard time putting it down.

Another good and surprising to me is Jimmy Buffets "Salty Peice of Land" both DH and I really liked that one.

Great thread! Before and during the trip I usually like to read novels that have some basis in the countries I'm going to be visiting . I feel like I get a flavor for the culture before I'm actually there. I go online with a book company and do a search under the specific country and pick my books from that.

For Italy I just finished Pompeii and the Borgia Brides and they were quite good.:)

I totally agree! Anytime I go somewhere new, I like to read something about that place, particularly historical fiction.

There's a new company I found called Stowaway Books. Looks like it's done by writers and they are specifically recommending books for cruises based on itineraries. I think they are marketing themselves to cruise lines and travel agents, but they have some really awesome suggestions.

You can find them at stowawaybooks dot net.

You'll find something great to read! Have a great trip!

I didn't read the whole thread to see what had already been recommended, but for a funny, fast paced, entertaining read, I highly recommend the Janet Evanovich series of Stephanie Plum mysteries. They are not very long, and you can rip through several of them in one cruise. They're so enjoyable, you won't want to put them down.

They start with "One For the Money", "Two For the Dough" "Three To Get Deadly", and so on, up to 12 now.

http://www.evanovich.com/1Mex.html

Another vote for Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaissen (sp?). Fun and light...easy to read mystery. I read it on my cruise last March.

This year I have packed Honeymoon by James Paterson.

I also recommend the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich....start with One for the Money. There are now twelve in the series. You don't necessarily have to start with the first one but if you have never read any, you may as well. These are funny mysteries with a very little bit of romance thrown in for good measure.

Lastly, I do suggest that you check out the thread on the cruise rituals board. It really has been around for a long time with a lot of great recommendations.

Have a great cruise!

I love Janet Evanovich! Very funny, light and breezy reading! Can't put her down once I pick up her books!

I totally agree! Anytime I go somewhere new, I like to read something about that place, particularly historical fiction.

There's a new company I found called Stowaway Books. Looks like it's done by writers and they are specifically recommending books for cruises based on itineraries. I think they are marketing themselves to cruise lines and travel agents, but they have some really awesome suggestions.

You can find them at stowawaybooks dot net.

You'll find something great to read! Have a great trip!

Thanks great info! Nice to know someone else relates. I just finished Burning Times ( struggled through it) set in 17th century France and am now onto a very good one Seville Communion ( present day with religious overtones).I'm gearing up for a Med cruise this summer and getting into the mood.:p

I'm not usually a mystery reader, but was looking for a fun cruise-based book to get jazzed for my upcoming first cruise. "Dressed to Keel" by Candy Calvert is a really light humorous mystery-type. Just a quick fun read set on a cruise ship.

Sue Grafton's book are great too. Start's with "A" is for Alibi.. I think she is up to "Q" now. All featured the same main character, a female private eye.

Also LOVE Janet Evanovich- I read all 12 books in series two times! Stephanie Plum and her family are the funniest characters I've ever read about!

Archived