Any good novels to read on my cruise?

March Cruiser

I know we will be busy doing stuff, but I am sure I will have some time to lounge by the pool (with my SPF 500 on :eek: ) and I am looking for a book recommendations. I generally prefer mysteries - nothing too too scary, just a good page turner.

Any suggestions?

TIA!

Chandra

the memory keepers daughter is really good. its not quite a mystery but its a great novel, im almost finished with it, and it just keeps you reading

its about a dr whos wife has twins, one has downs syndrome, he tells her it died, but it didnt, he gave it to his nurse to take to an institution and the nurse keeps her and raises her herself, never to tell the drs wife, only he knew the truth,

its really good

I really like to read so if you want I could email you my reading list for the last several years in one excel document. It is hard to give recommendations without knowing the type of books you like, but I will give you a couple of my favorites by genre.

Mystery:

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Anything by Karen Slaughter

The "orchid" series by Stuart Woods (featuring the Holly Barker character)

If Looks Could Kill by Kate White

Fiction:

Plainsong and Eventide both by Ken Haruf

Women's Fiction/some quasi Chic lit:

Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty (there is a series)

The Butterfly House by Marcia Preston

The Song Reader by Lisa Tucker

Tara Road by Maeve Binchy

Fishbowl and Milkrun--both by Sarah Mlynowski

Any book by Lorna Landvik, Elizabeth Berg (especially Here on Earth), Billie Letts, or Alice Hoffman

Cruise themed!

Cruising for Murder by Susan Sussman

Aye Do or Die by Candy Calvert

I hope some of this helps! I am always willing to mail my book list to anyone, email me at secretagentlost@gmail.com

Haven't read any mysteries, but for a good laugh - that is a page turner, read "The Nanny Diaries". This book is awesome and funny. It's about a college student who works as a nanny for a rich New York couple. It's fact based (names have been changed - in fact the couple she worked for - she calls them Mr. & Mrs. X) It is very good. I love it.

Hello,

Two very interesting and informative reads:

"Splendid Solution" by Jeffrey Kugler

This is a fascinating account of the battle to conquer Polio, brilliantly written and wonderfully readable.

"Hershey" by Michael D'Antonio

This is a very interesting and informative biography of Milton Hershey

and his chocolate empire.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Another vote for Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaissen (sp?). Fun and light...easy to read mystery. I read it on my cruise last March.

This year I have packed Honeymoon by James Paterson.

I also recommend the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich....start with One for the Money. There are now twelve in the series. You don't necessarily have to start with the first one but if you have never read any, you may as well. These are funny mysteries with a very little bit of romance thrown in for good measure.

Lastly, I do suggest that you check out the thread on the cruise rituals board. It really has been around for a long time with a lot of great recommendations.

Have a great cruise!

I have 2 recommendations, both are favorite authors.

Steve Martini: his books are mysteries, based in the San Diego area. They certainly are not very scary and are light reading.

My very favorite author which I would jump fences to read: Greg Iles, his books take place in the south, are not scary but good mystery reading. the only draw back to them: they usually are rather long thus unless you are fast reader you may not finish one while on the cruise. I just started reading his latest book. Although not many people seem to know who he is, if you check out Amazon.com you will see everyone who reads his books loves him. They are on the NY best seller list. If you like Grisham you will love Greg Iles. As I said the location is about the same as Grisham, but the books are more interesting; not so easy to figure out. Grisham books I call my vacation books cause they are so fast reading.

NMNita

The Kite Runner was an amazing book. I could not put it down. This was the best book I read in 2006 and I have bought copies to give to friends as they are not getting mine!:)

Yes - ITA! This was the book I just finished, I absolutely loved it.

Thanks for the suggestions, and I will check the Rituals board for some more. I will be busy looking these up on Amazon tomorrow.

I am going to do a half day spa a few days before the cruise (gotta get the mani/pedi/massage :p ) So I figure I will start my book then and be "hooked" by the time we get there. Not to mention our flight, which is only 3 hours, but I will be at a loss for what to do with myself without the kiddos running around.

Thanks again!

Chandra

Don't Stop the Carnival by Herman Wouk, is a great novel. It's about the misadventures of a New Yorker who moves to the caribbean to run a resort.

Also I agree that Carl Hiassen books are very good - I've read several and love them.

image.php?code=0XT13240cbXk17Xs14XCaribbean%20Princess

Since you'e on a cruise, these are fun and light page turners on ships set in the early 1900s. Very enjoyable reading.

Conrad Allen - Series titles:

Murder on the Lusitania

Murder on the Mauretania

Murder on the Minnesota

Murder on the Caronia

Murder on the Marmora

Murder on the Salsette

Murder on the Oceanic

Murder on the Celtic

If you want non-fiction, read "Devils on the Deep Blue Sea". An excellent, well researched and written book about the cruise industry.

i'd recomend "skinny dip" by carl hiaasen, it's a muder (attempted) mystery comedy that starts out on an anniversary cruise.

quick read, lots of laughs.

in fact, anything by him is good.:D

I'll second that one....I just read this while on my recent Triumph cruise. It was a great, easy read. Fun to read.

This page is now officially "bookmarked" for me. We're sailing in August and I think I'll be coming back to check this out a little closer to the time. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I'm a very fast reader and when I'm on vacation I like NOTHING better than to devote lots of time to it. Therefore, I'll need a few good books to take with me for our 10-day cruise. Anyone have any luck with books from the Library onboard (specifically on the Crown Princess)?

By the way, to the OP, I loved "The Kite Runner"......one of my personal favorites ever. One thing I will say, however - the book can be very disturbing for some people. If you're looking for something light, I'd lean more toward the Carl Hiassen book. I also love everything he writes.

• 2 weeks later...

Came across this and I know its been mentioned but the other thread that's been going for quite some time has given me an entire list to last me my next few cruises! Most of the suggestions here are on it.

I always recommend Alisa Allan's cruise novels. http://www.AlisaAllan.com

Light, easy, contemporary women's fiction kinda love stories that all involve a cruise in them. Great stuff on the ports we've all probably sailed or are sailing to!

Nothing better than sitting on a cruise, in the sun (or out of the sun), with a great book! That's life right there because I never have the time at home!

Robert Crais - The Elvis Cole series.

Lee Child - His Jack Reacher character is one of a kind. Check him out on line and try to read them in order. It's not abolutely necessary, but they're a better read that way.

Anything by John D. MacDonald, including the Travis McGee books.

Archived