how bad is charles de gaulle airport?

The last time I flew on Air France they threw the tray at me. But AF isn't known for it's service.

I had no trouble at CDG (Roissy). If you need to check something on their website, it is available in French and English at http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr

Air France is usually Terminal 2. I checked online and flights seem to be in the exact same terminal, 2F or maybe 2E to 2F. So you won't have far to go to find your connection. The biggest complaint is usually because people can't find enough help or signage. Here's a link to the map of those terminals http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/Adp/Resources/894313b3-1923-4bc6-906c-ba0e8375f2b4-cdg2ef.pdf

Remember that arrivals and departures are on two different levels. You will arrive on level 0 and leave from level 2, so you will have to make your way up, after you have transfered to the right terminal.

Here is the French words that should help you:

Arrivée - Arrivals (Alighting)

Débarquement - Unloading

Départ - Departures

Correspondance - Connections

Navette - Shuttle

Collection de Bagages - Luggage Retrieval.

As with any foreign country that you are visiting, make sure to start by asking the person politely if they speak English and you should be fine.

While CDG isn't my favorite airport, ALL airports are bad these days, and relatively speaking CDG doesn't seem any worse.

The key is having a long enough layover to enable you to get to your next flight without fussing, as the airport is quite large (and when you're trying to get to your terminal it seems like miles...). Sometimes planes park out on the runways rather than at the gate, and it takes that much longer to get everyone offloaded, as you have to ride a shuttle to the terminal. Sometimes you have to go through security again, which can lead to a wait.

I'd rather have a long layover and have plenty of time than to cut it short and worry. The food isn't too bad if you want a snack (get a baguette sandwich) and you can do some duty free shopping too.

I think you are wise looking ahead so you will know what to do and where to go once you change your planes at CDG. We were lucky enough to get Business class seats with economy tickets so we really can't complain. Yes it is confusing going from gates 2C to 2D with alittle advance notice. We did notice that there are signs in English and if you follow the directions you can get to where you want to go. I found the place rather interesting however my wife didn't like the flight cancelation that occured once we got there. We had an extra two hours before flying into Munich and this is after arriving only to find out Delta canceled our flight at CDG because they didn't think we made the flight out of Atlanta the night before. Looking back it was for the best because the canceled flight was on a very small jet and the next flight out was on a 319 Airbus that included lunch including beer or wine. Water was $2.00 Euros. I know people with tight schedules that have missed their flights at CDG however I know you can make even with a 45 minute layover. Read all you can and see if you can get a map of the terminals at CDG. Good luck Tim. We survived our transfers at CDG.

I was unable to connect w/ the link in Ephraim's post. I have a change of plane at CDG in April, Air France to Air France. Currently the 2 flights arrive & depart from adjoining terminals; but I only have 30 mins. This is scaring the living daylights out of me. I'm worried that my luggage won't get transferred. I will end up in Dusseldorf for a short overnight before catching an early morning flight to the US. I think I'm going to look into a shipping service to send my luggage from Marseille to the US. Then I'll just have to worry about getting me from point A to point B.

I was unable to connect w/ the link in Ephraim's post. I have a change of plane at CDG in April, Air France to Air France. Currently the 2 flights arrive & depart from adjoining terminals; but I only have 30 mins. This is scaring the living daylights out of me. I'm worried that my luggage won't get transferred. I will end up in Dusseldorf for a short overnight before catching an early morning flight to the US. I think I'm going to look into a shipping service to send my luggage from Marseille to the US. Then I'll just have to worry about getting me from point A to point B.

The map is a PDF file. You need either FoxitSoftware's Acrobat Reader or Adobe's Acrobat Reader. It's a bit hard to find the maps on the airport's website in English. Co to the main page at http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/Adp/en-GB/Passagers/ which is in English. It's under Departure, Practical Information and then Maps and Handy Guides. They work for me, you can always copy and paste them into a new window (if you are using the Newest IE or Firefox, hit control T to open a new tab).

I'm (trying to get used to) using Windows Vista & whatever the browser is that comes w/ that. It wasn't that I couldn't open the file. It was that when I clicked on your previous link, a small window flashed on the screen for a second; & then disappeared completely. I did follow your second link; & will proceed through the menu until I find the layout.

2E to 2 F will be fine - they are opposite each other - should only take 10 min to walk at the most (Your luggage will be checked through I presume)

We too were worried about flying via CDG after hearing lots of horror stories. We traveled just before Christmas and it was fine. Follow the signs for transfers, leave yourself as much time as possible, (do you shopping when you get to the terminal you need !!) we found the Air France staff very helpful, both on the ground and in flight staff. We had to get from 2 D to 2 E which was about 20 minutes fast walking - but perfectly doable in a 1 1/2 hr turn around. My parents had 2F to 2E as said it was easy (they are in their 70`s!) Don`t worry.

You can download a map of the terminal buildings and best routes from the Air France website.

Your luggage should be checked through.

I haven't been through CDG in a long time. Certainly it was before Schengen. Does someone know if they go through passport control in Paris before they leave 2F on their way to 2E.

We did a connection in MUC last year and we went through passport control in Munich. I would imagine with Schengen that there must be some passport control from 2F to 2E. No?

HI! I connected through CDG in November of 2006. It was very hectic as our flight from Vienna landed at the European Union terminal and we had to travel all the way across the airport to the international terminal for our flight back to the States. Our international flight was on the tarmac and we had about 45 minutes to go through secuirty and board the bus to the plane. If using CDG for a connection, I would recommend that you plan on having at least 2 hours to land get through security and board the bus for the flight home.

Barb

Whilst the terminals E & F are oposite each other - getting there is easy - from each terminal you have to get to the boarding gate, which may take some time. The airport is doing a lot of construction work, so they use busses to get passengers to some of the remoter boarding gates. Leave as much time as possible to get there, and do any shopping at the boarding gate lounge, not the terminal itself - they had restaurants & shops at our boarding gate area for last minute supplies.

looking at the map of terminal it looks like 2F and 2E that you do not have to go though security gate,does anyone know about that?

I was going to post that getting through CDG,changing planes etc.is really not all that bad...really.Just follow the signs to your gate..all are posted really well which way to go.If you need to take the bus you will end up where you should be,if not you will be at your gate..plain and simple.As for going through security/passport control you may or may not have to...security changes all the time there,but again it is not a big deal.Generally once you are in the secure area all is ok,but sometimes they check people more than once as in you may even have to show passport getting on the plane..always changing.

I was told that you cant get your seat assigment for my flight from cdsg to bcn intill I get to the gate,that sort of makes feel uneasy,like you could get bumped if they were over booked,we got our tickets on sky saver miles.theytold me at air france that if you have a ticket you will get a seat.but I feel very uneazy,would like some fead back.

I was told that you cant get your seat assigment for my flight from cdsg to bcn intill I get to the gate,that sort of makes feel uneasy,like you could get bumped if they were over booked,we got our tickets on sky saver miles.theytold me at air france that if you have a ticket you will get a seat.but I feel very uneazy,would like some fead back.

Don't woryy about it...they don't assign seats until you check in in Europe unlike over here. All the time I have flown to Europe,changed planes,airports etc. I have never been denied boarding...not sayin it has not happened to some,but just go with the flow and enjoy your trip.

You may want to repost your inquiry over on the "cruise air" link as a search of that link will give you the Good, the Bad and the Ugly for CDG.

For a humorous review of CDG, you can look to this link. I found his observations to be spot on:

http://www.banterist.com/archivefiles/000376.html

Oh my goodness. Hilarious......and unfortunately all too true.

If you go to the airport site and click on arrivals, you can put in your flight number and date. It will then show what terminal you are coming in to. It won't show the actual gate. Then do the same thing on the departure link.

Archived