Dining Rules

long_shot45

I happen to be real upset as to formal night on Carnival. We just returned from a one-week cruise. My husband wore his tux on formal night as he has been doing for our past 11 cruises. After this cruise, he will never take it again as he felt totally out of place and felt everyone was looking at him and laughing. There were jeans in the dining room and many men did not wear a jacket. Many did not wear ties. We saw a man in a tee shirt. We will hesitate next time to go on Carnival (this would never have happened on Celebrity). I agree with doing away with, or enforcing the rules!!!!

He felt he was being laughed at???? Our group of guys typically wear tuxes for every formal night and they have NEVER felt stared at or as they were being laughed at. It may not be the majority, but they look great and fit in quite well... Sure, there are a few that like to exhibit just how little class they have by wearing something that is nowhere near formal, more like biker bar attire, but for the most part, people make the effort... but if anywhere in your thought process you say "this would NEVER happen on Celebrity", then I would agree... Carnival probably isn't your cup of tea :D

Sorry people, times change, those that think the way someone dresses reflects on civility or manners, is about as narrow minded as the tip of a needle.

Some of the brightest and most humble, most civil, caring people would prefer to wear jeans and a comfortable shirt, the rest of you should be ashamed of your attitude.

Ahhhh, name calling to intimidate ones opinion on others. Isn't it ironic that using name calling as a method to imply your right and everyone else is wrong is a bit narrow minded.

Kevin

I for one enjoy dressing up for dinner. I think it is a matter of "RESPECT". Whether the dress code is "Required" or "Requested", I think it is "Implied" that you dress appropriatly for the occasion. Knowing this information prior to the cruise I think people should "Respect" the occasion and dress accordingly!

Now, that being said, I think that those who "Flame" passengers who do not dress up are not "Respecting" them. It is their choice! It is a poor choice in my opinion but their choice none the less. I will never let another persons choices destroy my vacation. We are all required to stop at a stop sign but many of us choose to "Roll" through when we do not see anyone driving by. By doing so, we are violating a law and subject to a fine but, are we putting anyone at risk if there is no one there?

The act of not dressing up does not put any persons health or safety at risk so it is not my concern. If the cruise line decides to enforce their "Requests or Requirements" it is their option. However, everyone has the right to voice their own opinion at the time of their concern and can always cast their own vote with their own dollars and cents when they book their choice for a vacation. If you choose not to "Speak up" you have still made a choice!

Now, RIP ME APART!

Very well said.

I enjoy getting dressed up for formal night and looking nice on casual nights. It's not hard to do.

Sometimes though like last year on our Mediterraean cruise and this year on a Transatlantic I will take less formal wear. I am packing light and don't want to lug a formal. I will wear a fancy black skirt and fancy top.

On for people knowing what dress is appropriate: I was at a Hyatt hotel recently in San Francisco. Hubby and I went to the restaurant for breakfast.

I must say I was shocked at how people were dressed for breakfast. Although I know they are on vacation they don't have to look like slobs.

One lady walked in with a shabby workout outfit and dirty tennies. It looked to my mike the hostess didn't want to let her in. I take far more pride in myself.

I am reading this thread with great interest as we are going on our first cruise next July and I'm unsure as to what attire is expected at the formal dinner. Since I don't own a tux and rarely wear a suit I was hoping a blazer, tie and slacks would suffice. Looks like it would be okay although I'm waiting for wifie to drop the "when are you buying that new suit for our cruise" line on me. :)

This was second formal night. For the first one, the Tartan was covering (some of) my legs. ;)

I remember. I don't take the kilt on cruises any more unless I'm sailing with Captain Andy on Princess. If you let him know in advance, he'll wear his as well.

I am reading this thread with great interest as we are going on our first cruise next July and I'm unsure as to what attire is expected at the formal dinner. Since I don't own a tux and rarely wear a suit I was hoping a blazer, tie and slacks would suffice. Looks like it would be okay although I'm waiting for wifie to drop the "when are you buying that new suit for our cruise" line on me. :)

It's fine. That fits in with Carnivals definition nicely.

Not Cunards though. ;)

Ahhhh, name calling to intimidate ones opinion on others. Isn't it ironic that using name calling as a method to imply your right and everyone else is wrong is a bit narrow minded.

Kevin

Not sure what you mean :confused: I only had one point, what is on the inside of a person is NOT always reflected on what you see on the outside. Please try not to judge it accomplishes nothing. This goes both ways, for those that like to dress up and those that don't. I have read about those in tuxes feeling ridiculed and those dressing casual feeling ridiculed.

I am sorry if I was not clear.

I remember. I don't take the kilt on cruises any more unless I'm sailing with Captain Andy on Princess. If you let him know in advance, he'll wear his as well.

The kilt is staying at home this time. With the packed itinerary on the Destiny, I just didn't think it was worth lugging all that extra weight. That being said, I will be in jacket and tie for formal nights.

Oh yeah... forgot to say, guys in kilts are hot :D LOL!!

OK Lucy, google my real name & add the word 'texas' in google images search and I'll be the 1st one to pop up. I guess you can see my legs, since I've seen "yours;)"

Also, nuthin' wrong with doing the big C again for S&S-IV

Ok, so I'm rather new here and preparing for my first cruise, and I'm sure this has been asked before, but bear with me...

What do you guys think of capri pants in the dining room...with heels, of course?

Perfect for non-formal nights. Add a nice top and you'll be all set. Enjoy your cruise! :)

OK Lucy, google my real name & add the word 'texas' in google images search and I'll be the 1st one to pop up. I guess you can see my legs, since I've seen "yours;)"

Also, nuthin' wrong with doing the big C again for S&S-IV

Thanks Ray!! It actually took me to another CC post! LOL! But I saw the pic! Great pic!!!!!

I know, I know... but I think we're going to do a back to back, everyone wants Key West, LOL! But we'll be back... you'll have to join us on another one!!! :)

Thanks Ray!! It actually took me to another CC post! LOL! But I saw the pic! Great pic!!!!!

I know, I know... but I think we're going to do a back to back, everyone wants Key West, LOL! But we'll be back... you'll have to join us on another one!!! :)

Well we do love Key West. That's what made the Rhapsody so great from Galveston. Stayed in KW until midnight. I'll look when you get SS-IV set.

Actually, people were not "laughing" at my husband in tux. It is just he felt he stood out like a "sore thumb". He just felt uncomfortable. It really is my fault for insisting he wear a tux. He never wants to himself. He counted the people in tuxs and said he counted only 5 tuxs for the formal night. We enjoyed the Carnival cruise (in fact, the girl at the next table told him how elegant he looked). From now on, my husband has told me he will only bring a sportcoat. I only feel that a tux or jacket should not be required if it is not enforced. How will we know on our next cruise if they are going to enforce the rules or not? We are booked on RCCL next year.

Actually, people were not "laughing" at my husband in tux. It is just he felt he stood out like a "sore thumb". He just felt uncomfortable. It really is my fault for insisting he wear a tux. He never wants to himself. He counted the people in tuxs and said he counted only 5 tuxs for the formal night. We enjoyed the Carnival cruise (in fact, the girl at the next table told him how elegant he looked). From now on, my husband has told me he will only bring a sportcoat. I only feel that a tux or jacket should not be required if it is not enforced. How will we know on our next cruise if they are going to enforce the rules or not? We are booked on RCCL next year.

Well, your hubby has too much time on his hands if he was counting what 3000 people were wearing :p LOL! But I've always seen FAR more than 5... I've just never taken the time to count. Some people dress to impress others, some dress because the host suggests it, some dress because that is what they want to do... and some do it for all the above reasons. BTW, a tux or jacket is not REQUIRED. Formal attire is suggested (and they list tux or suit) But you will not be turned away because you don't have a tux on... this is Carnival. But like I said, a large amount of our group wears tuxes or a suit, and they all look DASHING and I'm guessing most could CARE LESS about "sticking out like a sore thumb" because they don't... they fit in with FORMAL night.

As for RCL, the dress on the cruise we were on was very similar to Carnival... I don't think you are going to find a majority of tux wearers on RCL either... maybe try one of the upscale lines and not a mass market line??

Well since this is such a hot topic I know people must of put this issue on comment cards or said something to staff about people coming to the dining rooms not properly dressed. So with that said, anyone know y it is Carnival or a few other lines too, do not enforce this rule?

Well to try to answer my own question :D, I don't think I could see Carnival telling people on their vacation to not enter the dining room because they are not dressed up and I know they want to make sure they please everyone in the best way possible. So yeah they may turn u away if you come with no shirt on, bathing suit or flip flops on. But if ur just wearing some jeans and maybe even shorts, they may feel like that would be ok, though they'd appreciate if people didn't do it. Know what I mean? I don't know, just a thought.

Well to try to answer my own question :D, I don't think I could see Carnival telling people on their vacation to not enter the dining room because they are not dressed up and I know they want to make sure they please everyone in the best way possible. So yeah they may turn u away if you come with no shirt on, bathing suit or flip flops on. But if ur just wearing some jeans and maybe even shorts, they may feel like that would be ok, though they'd appreciate if people didn't do it. Know what I mean? I don't know, just a thought.

I've seen them turn people away for wearing shorts....

If one would check the rules of etiquette regarding "Dress Codes," one would find that dress codes are not to be enforced. They are to inform, so that no guest is embarrassed by over or under dressing. It is naturally expected that guests will happily honor the dress code. But not technically required.

Dress rules or requirements, like no shorts or bathing suits in the dining room for dinner, SHOULD BE enforced by the cruise line.

Some dress like slobs on formal nites [other nites too] but Carnival still has many men in tuxes too. My tux pleases my wife and that pleases me.

Dan

Archived