best ship for toddler?

athomemom

I am looking for a cruise ship that has a fabulous kids club for my two year old. I am considering these ships: Valor, Victory, Liberty, or Freedom. I saw that these have huge kids areas. My husband and I need relaxation time by the pool, so a few good pools are necessary.

Any advice?

I hear you saying, and understand, that you are looking for pools that you and your Hubbie can enjoy.

However, just in case you did not know this...

A 2 year old will not be allowed into the swimming pools or Hot tub spa's. Only potti-trained children are allowed in them.

Swim diapers are not allowed either. Children not potti trained are just plain not allowed in the pools for the health of others. The cruiselines do enforce this rule as it's a health hazzard issue.

Just so you are not surprised. It is stated on the Carnival site, "Due to United States Public Health (USPH) Regulations, we do not allow children in diapers or those not toilet-trained in the pools."

see: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Age_Restrictions_on_Board.aspx

This is only my opinion, so please no flames! I have left my kids at the "good ship Grandma" for more than a couple of trips. I feel at that age they aren't going to appreciate or remember the trip. We waited until our boys were past nine years old before we took them to Disney, and they still don't remember it all. Don't get me wrong, I DO love my kids and enjoy haveing them around. It's you're vacation, do what you think best! I hope I haven't offended anyone!:o

Thank you all for responding. My daughter is already potty trained, so that is not an issue. Also, Grandma is coming along. We are planning the trip around thanksgiving. It costs about the same as a boring trip to her house/stay in hotel, so i thought- why not! I am still wondering about the pool areas.

Thanks!

I am looking for a cruise ship that has a fabulous kids club for my two year old. I am considering these ships: Valor, Victory, Liberty, or Freedom. I saw that these have huge kids areas. My husband and I need relaxation time by the pool, so a few good pools are necessary.

Any advice?

Best place for a two year old is at home with grandparents!

Any advice?

Any advice?

I understand why many suggest leaving our daughter with grandma, but that isn't possible with Grandma coming with us. She will be almost 3 years old at the time of sailing. She is potty trained, but we probably won't be taking her to the pool. (They are pretty cold for her) All I want is some info from other parents who have taken their toddlers. Please and thank you! Did they enjoy the kids club? How flexible are the port hours?

• 11 months later...

we're going on our first cruise (carnival) in april with our 2 little kids- ages 3 1/2 and 13 months. believe it or not, we enjoy having our kids around and spending quality time with them and don't mind taking care of them while on vacation. we both have full time jobs that unfortunately require our kids to be in daycare for most of their young lives and this is just one of those times we want to share together as a family... we'll use camp carnival for our 3 1/2 year old and utilize babysitting for our little one whenever possible. it's not fair for some people to judge parents like us who simply love spending time with our kids. fyi, our kids have no grandparents around..my hubby's parents have both passed away and my parents live overseas. so do you suggest for us waiting until our kids are in college so me and my husband can experience cruising??

I love how someone gets there toes stepped on because someone said a 2-3 year old is best left with grandma, and to defend her decision states "we enjoy having our kids around and spending quality time with them and don't mind taking care of them while on vacation" Then states "we'll use camp carnival for our 3 1/2 year old and utilize babysitting for our little one whenever possible"

The other poster was simply saying the best place for children that young is at home with grandma. There are exceptions and if you want to take the little ones, go ahead.

I just got back from travelling with an 18 month old that will soon be my grandchild and I fully agree. He should have been left at home. Our trip would have been so much better and he is not a bad child.

Any advice?

Those ships are all Conquest ships, all have the same layout... if you are just looking for a good pool, they are all the same. I don't know about the kids pool, or the kids area... but the pools are small and crowded, and you'll need to get out there before sunrise if you want a chair by the pool :p

we're going on our first cruise (carnival) in april with our 2 little kids- ages 3 1/2 and 13 months. believe it or not, we enjoy having our kids around and spending quality time with them and don't mind taking care of them while on vacation. we both have full time jobs that unfortunately require our kids to be in daycare for most of their young lives and this is just one of those times we want to share together as a family... we'll use camp carnival for our 3 1/2 year old and utilize babysitting for our little one whenever possible. it's not fair for some people to judge parents like us who simply love spending time with our kids. fyi, our kids have no grandparents around..my hubby's parents have both passed away and my parents live overseas. so do you suggest for us waiting until our kids are in college so me and my husband can experience cruising??

Who cares what other people say? Bottom line. If you want to bring the kiddos on vacation that is your right.

My husband and I have brought our two sons on each of our cruises. The first one grandma was unable to watch them, on the second she was cruising with us. I was a little stressed before the first cruise because I had read many kid related posts, many were anti-bringing them with. I found that once we were on the ship things were fine. No one was judging us. Our boys were a little older at the time. The youngest being 3 1/2. Looking back, we had a great time. Our two boys were in different age classes for Camp Carnival, so that was a little rough. The 3 1/2 year old only really wanted to go to Camp half the time while our oldest never wanted to leave. I guess they key to bringing the kids with is to understand it is a different type of experience. You have to roll with the punches. Yes, it is nice to have some adult time. Unfortunately, you can't always count on that happening. I think that is the point many people are trying to make.

We are finally able to take a cruise without the kids this April. Though we enjoyed having them with on the first two cruises, we are very much looking forward to reconnecting without them on this one.

We always take our kids with us on a cruise. Our first time they were 4 years old and 13 months old. The reason we prefer Carnival is because they make themselves out to be a family friendly ship. Just look at the commercials!

If you want to take your kids with you then please do. Don't let others who say to leave them at home intimidate you into not taking your kids. We're taking our kids on their third cruise next month and they always talk about when they went on their last cruise. My daughter who is now three years old talks about seeing Funship Freddy again! My six year old son constantly asks about going to the kids club.

Just go with a positive attitude and don't worry about everyone else. You'll have a great time! :)

Hi I will answer your question. The best for a wee one that age is the fantasy ships or the Splendor as they have kiddie water park areas ( I know they are not on the list but wanted to mention) they have the hughe soft rubber colorful matting all over and sprinklers like flowers etc. OTher thatn that all you listed are pretty much the same. Have fun on your cruise!

I love how someone gets there toes stepped on because someone said a 2-3 year old is best left with grandma, and to defend her decision states "we enjoy having our kids around and spending quality time with them and don't mind taking care of them while on vacation" Then states "we'll use camp carnival for our 3 1/2 year old and utilize babysitting for our little one whenever possible"

The other poster was simply saying the best place for children that young is at home with grandma. There are exceptions and if you want to take the little ones, go ahead.

I just got back from travelling with an 18 month old that will soon be my grandchild and I fully agree. He should have been left at home. Our trip would have been so much better and he is not a bad child.

You know what I love? When someone asks a harmless question about the kids club, and people find it necessary to condemn them for bringing their children and lecture them about the clear rules about children in the pools. Neither the OP or Nicole Hannah were asking for your permission or guidance on family vacations, so if you can't stick to the subjects, then with all due respect, withhold the judgmental responses.

Nicole Hannah's post said that they both worked full-time jobs, requiring daycare for their children. As two hard working parents, when they take vacation, they would prefer spending it with their children, rather than passing their children off to a relative for the week. While the children may not remember the ports or cruise, they may remember spending quality time with their hard-working parents, and the parents will certainly cherish the quality time with their kids. If that's not clear from Nicole Hannah's post, then you simply don't understand their situation.

We are respectful of all rules and other passengers, so for our 2YO DD's first cruise, an 11-night cruise, we used an inflatable pool for daytime water activities. Like Nicole Hannah, we work very hard, but love our DD more, and would not consider leaving her behind. That being said, when we want to utilize the adult activities (pool, dining, etc.), we will take advantage of Carnival's services.

Just because you had a bad experience with a young child (or see another family whose parents may use poor judgment), it's wrong to assume that all children are ill-equipped to enjoy the cruise and make broad statements that they should simply remain at home.

I have never flamed anyone on these boards, but the fact that the OP asked a harmless question is infuriating to me. Please try to keep responses to the subject and refrain from trying to convince people to conform to your viewpoints.

OP - Our youngest was four the first time we sailed, on Victory. Since then we've sailed on Liberty and will sail on Valor in a little more than a week:D. Our kids have sailed with us on all our cruises. I think all the ships you've listed have similar programs for the 2-5 group. The Camp Carnival space on Liberty, Freedom and Valor is larger, but all four ships have a dedicated space for the 2-5 group. The pool areas on these ships are similar as well, since they all have the same Lido deck layout. I would base my decision on itinerary and any "extras" you may want - since Victory is older and slightly smaller, she lacks some of the "bells and whistles" of the larger ships, like refrigerators in the cabins, the fish and chips station, and the supper club.

Sacleonard and Nicole Hannah, on behalf of myself, husband, my children & their spouses, but most importantly, on behalf of my four precious grandchildren (all under the age of 4) who will be cruising with us in April, I THANK YOU.

Any advice?

You might want to post this also on the Family Cruising forum...they are helpful plus a lot of good info and advice:)

Kids are awesome on a cruise. I don't care what age..

The first time we took ours was on RCCLthey were 3 and 4... The 3 year old was with us the whole time and we had the best time...

we are taking them again on Conquest and they will be 4 and 5 and it will be great I am sure.

As far as keeping kids home because they won't remember things until they are older? Huh? I remember vacations as far back as 4 and 5 years old myself.

Have Fun

Archived