Please sail out of New Orleans...

Cotton

We had a Triumph cruise booked - the first one out of NOLA. My PVP just called to confirm our $50 stateroom credit for switching over to the Fantasy (it will be our third trip on the Fantasy in a year - kind of hard to get excited about that). I'm considering cancelling and trying out the NCL Sprit, particularly after reading about their newly renovated children's area and children's pool. At the same time, though, we've only cruised Carnival, and I'm a bit worried about trying another line. The PVP even told me he would be afraid to visit NOLA right now - the media is really doing a number on us. I take my kids to the French Quarter by myself - they're 5 and 7 - and I don't feel unsafe at ALL. All the national media focuses on is crime. Even during Mardi Gras, instead of showing all the tourists having a great time, they focused on the few instances of violence. We were out there with the kids at the parades, and it was just like always - crowded, friendly, and FUN. I concur with Cotton - book a cruise on the Fantasy, or take a weekend trip to NOLA - we need you! And you'll have a FABULOUS time!

Hi Susan,

Good to see you are still around. We also were on the first 7-day sailing on the Triumph. You can always join us on the Conquest for Sept 7th. We will have our 12/6 yr old daughters with us. There are several others with kids on our rollcall.

I will be on the NCL Spirit but I will be on the 15-day Repo from New York to New Orleans. Looking at the first 7-day sailing out of NOLA, the rates for a balcony is more than I paid for my balcony. I guess they are trying to squeeze a few dollars out of folks wanting to go on the first sailing.

I sailed twice out of NOLA this past January. Other than the overpriced parking garage, I had no problems being in the city.

Dave

All cities large and small have crime issues at one time or the other. I think that as some have mentioned on here the problem with NOLA is they are not getting the word out on how great the city is now after the clean up. They are letting the news organization due a chop job on them without fighting back. If NOLA is going to return to days of old then they are going to have to work much harder on changing the perception of the city. Of course the resident majority re-electing that bonehead of a mayor was not a good start.

Thank you for pointing that out. I don't think people understand the history and context of his (dumb) remark. Nagin has always been accused of showing preferential treatment to the white segment of the population, and was even called "Ray Reagan" - insinuating he wasn't really "black" and wasn't interested in the needs of the black community in NOLA. When talk was made about pretty much "whitening up" New Orleans after Katrina, people were very angry, particularly at Nagin. He replied with his stupid chocolate city remark to show his support for the black community, not to exclude whites in any way. New Orleans' population was overwhelmingly black pre-Katrina, and he was saying, in a really STUPID way, that the goal was to keep the same demographic rather than to drive out the black population. It's regrettable that he said what he did, but it's equally stupid for people around the country to talk about what happened without having a clue as to the background and what he was TRYING to communicate with those poorly thought-out words.

Susan

In no way to justify Nagins remarks, they were stupid.

But, 2 things to realize.

1) There was alot of talk about cleaning out the 9th ward and making it upscale. Essentially, giving the preception that the Blacks would be moved out and the Whites would be ushered in.

2) I more than sure it was predominately Blacks at that meeting.

Anyways, IMO, that's why he said what he said. And of course politics. It's was all about the vote. Must not have killed him because he was reelected.

Anyways, his comments are just a long line of Dumb comments made by politicians.

The city of New Orleans is coming back and will probably be better than before. Of course there was some terrible damage, but alot of it was unharmed. Never discount the power of the media, both good and bad.

I went to a few N.O.Saints games this year and the city looked pretty good to me.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
So I hope your friend in Richmond also uses the example of the good cops (there are some) that are in New Orleans. You know, the ones that stayed and helped through the drama of Katrina and tried to keep things peaceful and calm afterward with little to no help. The ones who lost everything themselves and still tried to do their best to maintain order. I think lumping the entire force into one group is just as stupid as the "Chocolate" remark.

I guess I don't judge a place by what one ignorant person says. I've been there and I liked all the "chocolate" and "vanilla" people, along with the other sprinkles as well!!! Toss in a few candy coated nuts and it turns into a CC family reunion!:D If you listen to dumb, ignorant people you will never go anyplace!!

These are my two favorite posts I have read in a long time. Katz, you are my new hero.;) Very very very very well said. . . :)

I haven't read all the posts on this thread but the subject is very interesting. We are in Mississippi and I'm disappointed that - after April - only the Fantasy will be sailing out of NO untill mid-November when the NCL Spirit arrives to start doing 7 days. (Yeah for NCL!!) And I'm not sure if or when RCI will bring another ship in. Grandeur of the Seas isn't coming back in the fall this year. There have been some great rates recently on the Grandeur to try and fill her up these last few months that she is there so it's no surprise that RCI is bowing out of this market for a while.

I think Katrina and the worry that all is not back to normal yet is just part of the problem. The biggest draw-back is probably the VERY high crime rate figures that I'm sure are no secret across the nation. Add those two factors together and I'm not surprised that NO is not near the top of everyone's departure port 'wish list'.

I only have 1 simple comment.

Cruising down the Mississippi River in a massive Cruise Ship is amazing and everyone should do it at least once in their life. We've done it once, and it was absolutely incredible - a once in a lifetime part of cruisingn out of N.O.

Karla

Only 47 days and we are on our way!!! We live in Wisconsin and are driving to NOLA to cruise the Fantasy. We could drive to Galveston, Mobile or any Florida port, but we wanna see NOLA! I couldn't be more excited about my cruise and my couple of days in this wonderful city. Anyone wanna join me?

These are my two favorite posts I have read in a long time. Katz' date=' you are my new hero.;) Very very very very well said. . . :)[/quote']

Well thanks!!! Not trying to be a hero and I am not wearing a cape!!!:D People just really need to try something before they knock it. Even then they may need to try it a couple times before forming an idea of what it is really like. If I had judge this site by my first encounter I would never had come back..........first post I read was an ugly battle about smoking......the second was diapers in the pools!!!!!:eek:

Well thanks!!! Not trying to be a hero and I am not wearing a cape!!!:D People just really need to try something before they knock it. Even then they may need to try it a couple times before forming an idea of what it is really like. If I had judge this site by my first encounter I would never had come back..........first post I read was an ugly battle about smoking......the second was diapers in the pools!!!!!:eek:

Oh but I've seen you wear your cape ;) and you KNOW you are MY hero :D LOL!!!!

I guess I don't judge a place by what one ignorant person says. I've been there and I liked all the "chocolate" and "vanilla" people, along with the other sprinkles as well!!! Toss in a few candy coated nuts and it turns into a CC family reunion!:D If you listen to dumb, ignorant people you will never go anyplace!!

Hey....I resemble that remark. :p Nothing quite like a CC family reunion. See you in Nola in June. :D

We cruised out of New Orleans in 2000 during Thanksgiving week. We flew in one day precruise - we went to the French Quarter, to Mother's (I hope it's still there) for po'boys, we went through the Riverwalk, to Cafe Du Monde....it was great, everyone was friendly. We loved the people, the history, the charm.

It's been a long time and we have been trying to see different places - LA, NYC, Fort Lauderdale.....but we'll be back.

(I didn't read the political opinions - just wanted to leave my opinion of our visit)

To those who have visited New Orleans post K and have given your informed views, THANK YOU ! To those considering a visit, please come, you will be pleasantly surprised. Beginning a couple of months after Katrina, my friends and family have spent a great amount of our free time in the City. We have been there during many major functions such as New Years eve and Mardi Gras. Oddly enough, I have to say that we have never felt safer than now. Of course, we don't hang out in the projects or try to buy/sell drugs so that may have something to do with it. The City just had over 700,000 est. visitors for Mardi Gras. The only violence was away from the parades and tourist areas. You don't hear much about that though. The French Quarter and most areas visited by tourists had very little damage and was up and running quickly. They just need your business.

I'll make no comment about the Mayor. :cool:

There is an interesting article in today's paper concerning first hand opinions about New Orleans' recovery.

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-7/1172732967108700.xml&coll=1

To those who have visited New Orleans post K and have given your informed views, THANK YOU ! To those considering a visit, please come, you will be pleasantly surprised. Beginning a couple of months after Katrina, my friends and family have spent a great amount of our free time in the City. We have been there during many major functions such as New Years eve and Mardi Gras. Oddly enough, I have to say that we have never felt safer than now. Of course, we don't hang out in the projects or try to buy/sell drugs so that may have something to do with it. The City just had over 700,000 est. visitors for Mardi Gras. The only violence was away from the parades and tourist areas. You don't hear much about that though. The French Quarter and most areas visited by tourists had very little damage and was up and running quickly. They just need your business.

I'll make no comment about the Mayor. :cool:

There is an interesting article in today's paper concerning first hand opinions about New Orleans' recovery.

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-7/1172732967108700.xml&coll=1

Hey Dan, I've made three or four attempts to get there now. Maybe one of these times it will work out.

I probably ran into some of y'all and didn't know it...I was in the city on Wednesday (just can't do Fat Tuesday any more:D). DD and I went to St. Louis Cathedral for ashes. It was nice seeing the streets of the Quarter so clean.

New Orleans is a terrible place to cruise from. Did it once on the Conquest and will never do it again.

Was it back during the time when the construction was going on? I admit we sailed from there one time during that time period and it was a pain. However, all of that is gone now.

The new terminal is wonderful. It was around 10:30am when we drove up and into the parking garage without a "traffic care in the world". Such a huge difference than the last time. And now that parking is literally on top of the terminal, there is minimal walking and it is all covered!!

New Orleans is a terrible place to cruise from. Did it once on the Conquest and will never do it again.

To each his/her own opinion.

Good thing Carnival and the other lines don't think as you do....and, BTW, the ships almost always sail at full capacity. Enjoy whatever port you choose.

O.k.......I'll bite......what was your problem with cruising out of N.O.?

I have cruised out of there 3 times....no problems for us....even with using the Julia St. Terminal in the past. I guess anyone can have a bad embarkation experience at some point in their cruising life; but that doesn't keep me from cruising out of N.O. again....sorry.

Hi everyone:

My dear Spudly and I are displaced Triumph cruisers, as we are (were) booked on the Triumph for the 1/20/2008 sailing on a group music cruise that our friend, Chubby Carrier, put together. For anyone who has seen the IMAX movie, Hurricane on the Bayou, Chubby is the accordion player in that movie. Anyhow, he and his TA are still in negotiations with Carnival and trying to figure out what ship/port/itinerary we are going to change to. I am eagerly anticipating where we get to go! I am so excited to spend a week with Chubby Carrier and the Bayou Swamp Band and several other wonderful bands that I told Chubby I don't care where we go or how we get there...

HOWEVER - Spudly and I were VERY stoked to be sailing out of NOLA again, as we've done this twice before (Inspiration, Conquest) and we think it is simply THE best city to cruise out of that we've been to! There is so much rich history, culture, music, food, interesting architecture, etc., etc., etc! I LOVE going to Tipitina's, Preservation Hall, side stepping it into little restaurants and visiting the wonderful art galleries that are everywhere. This place is a gem! I am very disappointed that Carnival has taken this turn, shedding even more bad mojo on the Big Easy.

My sons, who are both in their 20s, were in NOLA for Mardi Gras and had a wonderful time. The comment that my oldest made to me when he called me from the Quarter to rub it in that he was there and I was not, was that the TV show "Cops" seemed to have camera crews everywhere, following many officers around and seeking opportunity to get some juicy footage. Blech! I am in complete agreement with most of the rest of you that New Orleans is getting much too much negative media attention.

So... I'll just keep waiting to hear back from Chubby as to our what our January cruise plans are, and keeping my fingers crossed that we still get to sail from New Orleans, as I know that this aspect of the trip is very important to him.

Cheers,

Taters

It was nice seeing the streets of the Quarter so clean.

That is what surprised me the most...I was amazed in January (being an early riser...LOL) when we were walking to breakfast watching the private cleanup crews come thru and collect the dailey trash and sweep and wash the streets.

They came thru every morning and left the quarter spotless.:D

I was very impressed!

Archived