Live from the Noordam 2/17/07 - on our way home

NEPatriot

Hi there,

I am aboard the 2/17 sailing of the Noordam. This has been my first opportunity to write thus far as time just goes by so fast. We left San Juan just a few hours ago heading back to NYC. The weather has been beautiful so far. The seas heading down ranged from “moderate” to “high” with the majority of the time “rough” (8-12 ft).

We have experienced a little excitement on board this journey….Monday evening (2/19/07)-the first formal evening, as we were preparing for dinner around 7:00 pm we heard several short blasts of the emergency alarm. Not having any idea as to what the alarm was as it was not the seven short blasts followed by one long one, my mother and I looked at each other and said “what is that?” She immediately proceeded to the door, opened it and noticed the green emergency lights in the hallway. She immediately turned and opened the closet door and grabbed her life jacket. She then popped her head out the door again and our cabin steward calmly told us to remain calm and to go back inside our cabin. Meanwhile, my father was in the shower, she informed him that he could stay in the shower. Within one minute the cruise director came over the loud speaker and informed us that there was a small containable fire onboard in cabin 7045 and all passengers located on deck seven mid ship need to evacuate immediately; he then proceeded to command emergency personnel to their proper locations. My mother then opened the bathroom door and told my father to get out of the shower; we needed to evacuate (as we are in cabin 7059). We then began putting on bathrobes and shoes (we were in the midst of dressing for formal night). We then open the door and see emergency personnel running down the hallway. Within another minute the captain came over the loud speaker and informed everyone that the fire was under control and that we did not need to evacuate. We then popped our head into the hallway again to see them opening the fire doors and there was quite a bit of smoke in the hallway.

So…what caused this small containable fire in the penthouse you ask???? I was told by several staff members that the halogen light over the bed burst and the pillow on the bed started to smolder. Apparently there was no “fire” as the pillows and beds aboard are flame retardant but there was enough smoke to alert staff. All was under control within 5-7 minutes. Kudos to the crew for handling this situation swift and calm.

There has been no other activity of interest to note however, preparing for this journey I had asked several questions regarding the signature card and coffee cards. The signature card includes more than just the drink of the day. The way that it was explained to us was that you can get any drink with it and if you wanted top shelf liqueur you would have to pay an additional $1.00. We found that some bar stewards would charge the dollar and some would not. I have the coffee card menu and prices and will post it when I get home. Also, when we arrived in our stateroom, we were looking through the guest services book and noted the alcohol policy; it reads:

With the exception of wine, Champagne and beer, alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel’s shops or otherwise brought on board cannot be consumed on the ship. If the beverages are purchased from the vessel’s shops or at ports of call, they will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. Our staff will make arrangements to store the items for you during the cruise.

This was different than we had read on CC and from what was posted on HAL’s website. So when we were in St. Thomas we decided to experiment: we went onto the island and purchased some beer and returned to the ship. The beer was placed in the x-ray machine as was everything we carried back on board and nothing was said. I then went to the concierge and inquired as to the difference in what was posted on the website vs. what was posted in the book. She could not offer any reason except that maybe Seattle was delayed in posting to the website. She did inform me that she would notify her supervisor as to the discrepancy.

The cruise has been wonderful, no complaints to speak of; with the exception of raw volcano cake in the pinnacle. Will write more upon arrival home. Oh yeah, we have had no semi-formal evenings---all casual with three formals.

Looking forward to seeing your review.

So did you actually buy one of the Signature Drink cards? And did you order it before hand or buy it on board? Just wondering if there was a price difference in where or when you buy. Good to know also that they'll let you order anything with it.

Thanks for your post and thorough description of the contained fire in the "PS". Excellent to hear how well the crew handled it.

It sounds as though you and your parents are having a wonderful cruise.

Hope the sail home is relaxing and fun and you continue to enjoy the gorgeous Noordam. We'll look forward to hearing more from you once you are home. :)

Thank You for taking the time to let us know what happened this past week on your cruise. So happy everyone is OK after the alert to a possible fire in one of the cabins near you. I bet you were more than a little concerned.

We sail on "Noordam" the day you return just 3 days to go. I also bought a soda card and a 20 drink wine card last week online and if delivered to your cabin when at sea there is no sales tax.So I opted for delivery of the cards at sea. Also you can charge the cards beforehand to your credit card. In port, there is applicable sales tax. You also donot have the added gratuity. However, I will leave a tip for the bartender etc. The cards may be used any place on the ship except room service and you can buy a drink for other people with your cards. So if you buy it and your husband may want a drink, or a friend, you can use the card this way also. Hope this helps anyone who is thinking of buying these cards. I personally think they are a good deal.

Hope you have a safe trip back and clalm seas. IKE

Archived