Bedding: Queen or really King?

fireflytx

The beds pushed together make a queen. Not overly big, and you can feel where they come together. An egg crate will make it feel alot better I'm sure, and Princess will supply usually if requested, however I did hear they "run out of them" if not requested early enough.

Its a shame you have to lug one on your trip...would it ruin it if you put it in one of the large zip-locks and squeeze the air out? Otherwise won't it take up alot of room? I say that because I always battle packing.

I thought 2 twins made up a king, not a California king though, we always request a egg crate top from Princess and luckily always gotten one.

That is correct, the combination bed is actually a king even though Princess calls it a queen.

Mike:)

The beds when put together are NOT a King. I sleep in a standard King bed every night. The beds when pushed together are much smaller than our bed at home. We leave the beds in the "twin" setup and my DH always refers to them as the skinny twins.

The beds may look no different than a regular twin size bed at home, but they are, they are a bit more narrow. Together they make up a queen. That is true for many cruise lines. There are a few lines that the beds are so narrow that together they make a double (full size) bed.

The beds may look no different than a regular twin size bed at home, but they are, they are a bit more narrow. Together they make up a queen. That is true for many cruise lines. There are a few lines that the beds are so narrow that together they make a double (full size) bed.

Skinny twins! Now that's a different perspective.

Ok....so skinny king.. full queen....which size should I bring? I know it sounds crazy, but honestly, I don't mind schlepping my own... With it all rolled up, I'll just put it in a duffel and tag it. We're driving to the port anyway, so it's no trouble. I figure I paid the price for a full suite, and I want a "sure thing". If I get a nice "surprise" with a new mattress when I get there, then so be it.

I would bring the King size and you can always trim it if it's a bit too large. Just bring a pair of scissors in your suitcase. The Queen would probably work, but there could be some shortage on the sides.

Ok....so skinny king.. full queen....which size should I bring? I know it sounds crazy, but honestly, I don't mind schlepping my own... With it all rolled up, I'll just put it in a duffel and tag it. We're driving to the port anyway, so it's no trouble. I figure I paid the price for a full suite, and I want a "sure thing". If I get a nice "surprise" with a new mattress when I get there, then so be it.

Bring a queen size topper. These two "twins" together are no where near a king, especially on length...kings are much longer than this will be.

Thanks to all who said that the size together is closer to a queen...I always thought so, and said so on these boards in the last few months, and everyone contradicted me, stating that they were actual king beds. They're not, and if you're used to sleeping on a king bed, in any cabin where the beds are against the outside wall (ie. insides and some oceanviews), you're often better off to keep them separate.

Remember these are more like "single" beds and smaller than twins. So when pushed together they are definitely not the King size I have at home. But that's something a cruiser could do is take a measurement and see what size the beds are until Princess decides to change out the mattresses.

The two twins pushed together do make a king in width, but not quite in length. A lot of subjectivity goes into the comfort argument, but on the Diamond recently we thought the bedding was comfortable for us with no "egg crate". Make sure you get the right pillow, that can make a big difference.

who do you request the eggcrate topper from?? Can you request it before you even get on the boat?? I like a soft bed and have a hard time sleeping on a stiff bed

You can request it from your room steward, I think you can fax the request in to Princess (don't have a number but have seen it posted).

Archived