Rome port - taking the train

I know there are threads discussing this, and one I found once with good detail but good grief the boards are running slow so I've given up searching.

Because my savings aren't on target to make my trip budget I'm looking for ways to cut costs. I've decided to forego the 100 euro shuttle from the port to the hotel in Rome after the cruise and am looking for specifics on getting to the train station from the ship.

Thanks!

It is certainly doable, depending on the amount of your luggage and what kind of condition you're in. The problem is that you will find no taxis to take you to the train station in Civitavecchia. They only want fares into Rome or the airport. So, you must walk out of the port, up a slight hill and down the street to the train station--About a 20 minute walk with luggage. Sometimes there is a free shuttle to take you to the gates of the port but it is often difficult to find space on it. If there is a shuttle, it cuts off about 5 minutes of the walk. Another problem are the stairs at train station, up and down, to get to the right platform. Again, no problem without luggage; more difficult with. That said, my then 76 year old husband and I, then 51, did it a couple of years ago as we were taking the train south to spend time in Sorrento after our transatlantic. We like train travel in Italy, find ticket buying easy and cheap, but minimal luggage is the key to success.

Hope this helps. If you have other questions please let me know.

Here's a link to one of the threads: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=437822

We took the train from Civ. to Rome and back without luggage, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it with luggage (as long as it's a manageable amount to walk with.) I thought the walk was fairly flat, and we didn't have stairs to negotiate in Civitavecchia.

I have never been to the Civitavecchia train station but I wonder if there isn't an elevator somewhere in the station. In Europe I have found that a lot of times there is an elevator in train/ bus stations but there is no sign for it and you have to look for it or ask.

Does anybody know for a fact if there is or isn't an elevator to go down to the tracks?

• 4 weeks later...

So my question is how expensive are taxi's once you get to Rome by train from the port. I heard that a 10 min ride could be $30. and since my hotel is not near the train station, it might not be much different than 3 of us taking a shuttle. Does anyone know how taxi's charge and if the $30. amt sounds like it could be accurate for even a short trip? :confused:

So my question is how expensive are taxi's once you get to Rome by train from the port. I heard that a 10 min ride could be $30. and since my hotel is not near the train station, it might not be much different than 3 of us taking a shuttle. Does anyone know how taxi's charge and if the $30. amt sounds like it could be accurate for even a short trip? :confused:

Most of the taxis we took were around or less than 10 euros. From the Spanish steps to St Peters even was (wild guess of a recollection here) maybe 12?

Archived