Captian Marvins question

gunnerfubar

Who all has booked an excurstion with this company before in Grand Caymans via their website? How reputable is this company, and how was the excursion? Also, did you have any trouble with your experience with them?

Thanks to any who respond.

-Gunner

We are also going to GC this March for our third time. Rather than book through the ship, I've been checking private tour operators. I've read many posters on this board recommend Capt. Marvin. So I was quite surprized when I was on a GC travel website. They provided links to various operators. There was a specific reference to Capt Marvin saying they could no longer recommend this company due to unresolved customer matters. I have no idea what this refers to. I would check carefully first.

http://www.caribbean-yellowpages.com/phpYellow/yellowresult.php?goal=Advanced+Search&category=Snorkling&country=Cayman+Islands&recordDisplay=complete

Beth

We went with Captain Marvin's in December and had a great time. We did the 3-hour, 3-stop snorkeling trip. I booked it through their website. The credit card on the website is just to hold your booking. You pay for the excursion when you get there. The website says, "If for any reason your ship cannot stop here on its scheduled day, you will not be charged for your trip."

We had a great crew on our boat. Their snorkeling equipment seemed to be in good order (although we brought along our own masks and snorkels) and they took time to make sure that the novices were comfortable and that the equipment fit.

That's the same excursion I'm looking at booking. Do they have large enough boats to accomodate a large group of say 20 to 30 people at one time? Glad to hear the credit card held the reservation and you paid when you actually went. How far in advance did you book? Also, this excursion cheaper than the snorkeling excursion you can book on the ship?

Thanks again

-Gunner

We used Captain Marvin's a year ago and were very satisfied. I booked through the internet but did not give my credit card until I was in their building. A lot of ships miss Grand Cayman because of weather issues so they find it easier to charge you when you arrive, rather than having to credit people when they miss this port. We had about 20 people on our excursion but there would be room for more. You may want to book right away if you are going to use the whole boat. I booked about 6 months out. This was cheaper than the ship, and also much smaller groups-the ships excursion was near us and it was very crowded in their area. I've also heard good things about Nativeway but haven't used them. There may be more info on the Ports of Call board about other outfits.

Captain Marvin's has been around for years, and it's very reputable. We've used them 3 times now and each time has been fabulous. It is a more personalized tour with less people on board than the cruiseline's tour.

We've always booked right online. If any questions, email Ruth (at Captain Marvin's). She is very helpful.

You won't be disappointed.

I don't know if my comments are relevent since our experience with Captain Marvin's was nearly three years ago, but I can't say enough about the quality of this excursion.

Everything you've read here is true - they don't charge your card until you get there - they run a class act on a small, comfortable boat - the staff is dedicated to making sure you have a great time - they go out of their way to make sure non-swimmers are well taken care of... You get the drift.

Loved Captain Marvin's. :D

We used Captain Marvins August 04 without any problems. I would definitely recommend them. The only thing I didn't think was worth the money was the DVD you can purchase from them. It was very well done, but didn't include enough footage of the stingrays and passengers. A large part of it was underwater footage (bottom of the ocean) they shot while we snorkeled at the first stop. Very pretty, but because we were snorkeling on the surface of the water and not at the bottom, it was not things that made you say, "oh yeah, I remember that" or "that was really cool." I guess what I'm trying to say is I would have preferred it to be a reminder of what passengers saw on the excursion, not what only one person saw. I hope I'm making sense.

booked with capt marvins for the stingray tour for our march 04 cruise --got there and the tour was cancelled because of rough waters--offered me some other tours to switch to and we declined---------and that was it --they credited my card back on the spot ---going to be there again next march and will try again with them

I will have to agree with WYNer about the DVD. We purchased it, watched it once and that's it. I would just purchase an underwater disposable to get some shots. The DVD was well done, but kinda boring.

We just did Captain Marvins and it was great. The only issue we had was getting a tender early enough. We ALMOST missed our excursion because on Carnival (Inspiration) they told us we had to wait to get off the ship until passengers who booked excursions with Carnival were off the ship. We talked to others on our excursion who just got on tenders right away despite what Carnival requested. My advise to you would be to get as early a tender as possible if you have an early excursion booked. It would be a bummer to miss your excursion because your tender was late. Most of all, have fun! It's a great excursion.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Capt. Marvin - based on recommendations on CC - in Sept. '03. Paid $39/person vs. $79/person thru cruise line.

Others in our group went with us. We walked to their storefront from the port in less than 5 mins. and they were ready for us. Two of their shuttles were sitting outside with the A/C running. We paid for the excursion, boarded the bus, waited a short time for latecomers, then took off.

On the way to the boat, we got a running commentary on the sights. Someone asked the rep why Capt. Marvin didn't offer thru the cruise lines - got an interesting reply.

Boarding the boat, getting settled went quickly. Instruction came while we were underway. Plenty of room to move around onboard. At Stingray City, we anchored next to a group who booked Carnival's excursion to the same site: it was packed with people - some had no seating and there was constant shuffling to get around the deck!

So, disregard that notice you saw about customer issues... I find it difficult to believe. And have a great time!

gunnerfubar,

we have used Capt. Marvins twice and loved it each time. the first time we did the two hour tour and loved it. We went on the 1/2 day tour last feb. and really enjoyed our time. 3 stops, two to snorkel and one at stingray city. we saw all kinds of fish and critters, including seahorses and a shark. also, a live conch crawling across the bottom. Excellent underwater photographer went with the ship and we bought the cd. love watching it! we are plannning a return trip to dive gc some time next year.

We used Capt Marvins in November '03, and we had a wonderful time. There was 16 of us and they gave us a good deal. There were only 2 other couples on the boat, so we pretty much had the boat to ourselves. We passed the Shore Excursion Boat on the way out to Stingray City, and they seemed to be packed like sardines.

My husband dove down at one of the stops (snorkelling) and got a conch shell. On the way back, one of the guys from Capt Marvins sat on the back of the boat with our kids and let them try the meat from the shell. They showed us all an eel hiding in some rocks, lured it out with food.

They also let some of the kids steer the boat.

As far as the DVD, there is no sound, so they add music. Ok, it maybe a little corny, but worth it to me. Specially if you have kids. Make sure they video you kissing a Stingray.

They are locals, laid back, and alot of fun! I highly recommend them. I had emailed them about 2-3 weeks before we went, but nothing was definite until we arrived.

Vicki

We did an excursion with Captain Marvins in June of this year (04). With a decline in customer service being the norm I cannot praise Captain Marvin's enough. Their customer service, crew, equipment, proximity to the port, etc. were all exceptional. I researched a lot of companies before choosing Captain Marvins and it is difficult to find any negative feedback about this company so I am not sure how someone justified declining recommendation.

We had one issue with this company in the past and it wasn't anything they did wrong, it was just something I thought could have been handled better. I spoke with Ruth at Captain Marvins and they went out of their way to rectify the issue.

They are good at what they do. One woman on our excursion was fearful of the ocean and somewhat freaked out once she got in the water. By the end of the excursion this lady was having a blast and commenting about the wonderful time she was having. So relax, and make your reservations with them - I don't think you will regret it.

Regarding the website listed above not recommending Captain Marvin's it is said that that company is being investigated for fraud. Allegedly this company is offering free advertisement for local companies and once they accept the local companies are being billed unreasonable and non contractual rates. When the local company refuses to pay it is then alleged the aforementioned website post that they can't recommend that business.

Bottom line is one will find many rave reviews in support of Captain Marvin's.

Archived