Alaska shore tours for wheelchair passengers

skogler

many people will tell you about the "duck" tour in ketchikan. i saw them driving around the town. they take you around town and then around the harbor, since you are sitting down the whole time it's not stressful. also, the lumberjack show is right there, where the cruise ships dock.

if my FIL had gotten off the ship more, i would know more about this subject. i do know that capt larry's (ocra enterprises) purple boat, for whale watching, is available for wheelchairs. my FIL did take the train in skagway, since they didn't tell us they were going...we sat in another care. i am guessing he got out to climb up the steps to the train car. i don't think they knew if there was a lift or not.

budget queen and yukon can tell you more in detail, what would work. if you look at the excursion list with your ship, it will have it marked what is available.

Look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. Then repost. With the ability for some walking, your FIL should have a pretty full selection of tours. The potential problem with boat tours/floatplanes is the tide. If low, you can have a steep climb up and/or down ramps. Likely to happen in one direction of the tour, since the tidal changes are big.

My DH has limited mobility and uses a wheelchair for distances. After several phone calls and great advise from this board, we have booked a flightseeing with Island Wings in Ketchican, a whale watching tour with Orca (Capt Larry) in Juneau and a train/bus excursion with Chitook in Skagway. All have agreed to send wheelchair accessible transportation to meet us. The flightseeing will take him stepping into the plane, the whalewatching is wheelchair accessible and the train is wheelchair accessible. For the bus portion, they will store his wheelchair and he can make the few steps required, although slowly. Since they are all in the good ole USA, ADA rules apply. Also, while in Juneau, the Mt Roberts tram and Mendenhall glasier is also accessible. Capt Larry has agreed to drop us off and we'll catch a shuttle bus back.

Archived