first time cruising; first time solo

fabat40

Hi,

I am a single mother of a very busy 3 1/2 yr old boy; need a break... a REAL vacation!!!!! I just turned 40 & planned to do something different & thrilling for the BIG 40, but he got sick.

I have always wanted to go on a cruise, but can never seem to find a roommate, nor can I afford to pay the outrageous solo cruiser rates!!!:mad:

I am determined to go somewhere, and would appreciate any and all assistance you alll have to offer. I am open to any destination that I can travel to for 4 or 5 days, preferrably in August. SAFETY is the main concern, as a first time cruiser!!! Not much of a talker at first, but love to mingle and just have fun amongst others!!! Can't wait to get started on my new adventures!!!!

Sometimes I will be traveling with my soon-to-be 4 yr old preschooler, and am open to any suggestions about trips that I can take him on, as well (i.e. single parent groups)

Sincerely,

Fabulous at Forty (fabat40)

Hello Fabulous:

My first piece of advice is to find a cruise and go. If you intend to go this August, I suggest booking as soon as you can to lock in a better price, and if you can, go at the end of August when prices are often lower.

As for finding a good deal, I personally would not worry about what the single supplement is - instead, just focus on the price of the cruise for one person. In my experience the best bargains are on cruises that are discounted to increase bookings, regardless of the single supplement in effect. To compare options, I recommend using one of the internet search engines that allows you to search across multiple cruise lines. For instance, I use the cruise website operated by my airline. (Sorry, I cannot tell you the name of the site because such specific information is not allowed on these boards.) In any event, using a good internet search engine, you could search for all sailings leaving from all US ports in the month of August and narrow your results according to the number of days you want to be away, etc. You can even have the results sorted by price.

Regarding safety, cruising is one of the safest ways to travel. Do not worry about where your ship departs from or the ports of call it visits. Security at the ports and on the ship is quite good. Off ship, as long as you use common sense, you will be fine. If you are really concerned about off-ship security, just stick to the shore excursions offered by your cruiseline.

Best wishes for your travels! :)

- Paul

Hi,

I too am a single mom approx. the same age. I have cruised a few times alone and enjoyed it. There are always lots of people to talk to if you want and if you don't want you don't have to.

I have travelled alot, alone and with companion, so I am adventurous. I do research on each port, alot of info available on these boards which has been invaluable. It seems that no matter where I go, there are always lots of people around and I never feel threaten. I have taken some tours offered by the ship especially when I'm alone in a place I've never been. It's a great way to meet people and not have to worry about security.

I highly recommend you go. My last 7 day cruise I did alone did not cost much more had 2 of us gone. I booked approximately 4 weeks in advance and I find you can usually get a better rate boking last minute when travelling solo. make the calls and get the rates. I also use the ******** website to check on rates.

You will have a fab time, i always do!

Archived