Hotel in Madrid

My wife and I will be visiting Madrid for a few days after our Med cruise out of Barcelona. Does anyone have any recommendations for a moderately priced hotel in Madrid?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

:)

My wife and I will be visiting Madrid for a few days after our Med cruise out of Barcelona. Does anyone have any recommendations for a moderately priced hotel in Madrid?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

:)

I know there was a thread last year on hotels in Madrid so you may try a search under "hotel in Mardrid" and see what pops up.If nothing does here is a link that may be of help..

Hotels, hotel reservations, from luxury to cheap hotels - venere

My wife and I have homes in both Madrid and Barcelona. Please feel free to ask anything you'd like about either city, although I cannot compete with the savvy knowledge offered by BCNLady concerning Barcelona.

If you are looking for a moderately priced hotel, check the website http://www.hthotels.com. The Petit Palace chain these people started a few years ago consists of buying up old historic buildings in the historic center of Madrid, renovating them and opening them as hotels. You will get a modern, clean room in an historic building and sometimes breakfast and internet included in the price. It seems that these people have opened hotels in the last few years on every city block in the historic center of Madrid.

Check out the websites of the major Spanish chains as well -- sometimes you will find some very good deals. http://www.nh-hoteles.es, http://www.achoteles.es, http://www.solmelia.com.

And don't overlook the international chains. The Westin Palace (a 5-star grande dame) is located right across the street from the Thyssen and Prado museums and a short walk to the Puerta del Sol and Gran Vía areas. While generally a very expensive hotel, sometimes you can get very good deals there, especially during the summer, which is actually low-season for Madrid, city-center hotels.

Hope I've been of some help.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I have been to Madrid in the last 3 summers and always stayed at the Villa Real. They usually run promotional rates in the summer. It is part of the Derby hotels chain. It is very nice and service very good. It is situated a block up from the Palace, very convenient for Prado and Plaza Santa Ana.

It is very easy to walk from there to Plaza Mayor.

I'll throw in my two cents...

Last time in Madrid, summer before last, we found an incredibly good deal on the Hotel Emperatriz and stayed there for four nights...

Here's what I wrote in my review of that trip:

"...Having not been to Madrid in 30 years, I chose a hotel based solely on an internet search. I was initially looking for a hotel in the heart of Madrid (Plaza Mayor/Puerto del Sol area), but found most of the 4 and 5 star hotels in that area to be rather pricey. Since we weren’t too willing to risk a lower rated hotel in Spain, we expanded our search area a bit to the Salamanca District (a fashionable area just to the northeast of center) and found a very nice small 4-star hotel, the Hotel Emperatriz, at a bargain rate early-booking special, for a mere 75 Euros per night (about $90 US). The hotel was located just off Paseo de Catellana (the main north/south promenade which turns into Paseo de Recoletos, then Paseo del Prado as you go south, passing right by the Prado Museum), right around the corner from the American Embassy. The hop-on, hop-off tourist bus and several other modes of public transportation stop within a couple of blocks of the hotel in about three different directions."

I can tell you from my recollections that the hotel itself was very nice...and a bargain at that price...There were a good choice of restaurants within easy walking distance...The immediate neighborhood was fairly quiet. We ended up doing a good deal of walking each day, often walking clear over to the Plaza Mayor area and back...though cabs and buses would have worked just as well...

I may have appreciated a bit more convenience, but, especially at that price, we are glad we chose that hotel...

We have stayed at the lovely Westin Palace which is so close to all the Museums and not that far from the shopping area. As Crusin German mentioned, sometimes you can be lucky and get a special. I can thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Jennie

is that the major traffic artery close-by, the Puerta del Sol, is currently under construction (they're expanding the rail system underneath), and is presently closed to all vehicular traffic. This makes it nearly impossible to get anywhere near the hotel in a car, bus, or taxi, which will make it somewhat of a nightmare to reach the hotel, especially if you have luggage. You would probably need to enter from the other side of calle Preciados (Plaza de Callao/Gran Vía -- right in front of the FNAC store), and walk all the way down Preciados with your luggage to find the hotel.

There are a few new hotels right on the Gran Vía which are not that expensive and which are recently opened and renovated. Senator Gran Vía, Hotel de las Letras, Tryp Cibeles (belonging to the Meliá chain with a huge Zara store in the same building), a few hotels of the Petit Palace chain I mentioned in a previous post, etc. I think these hotels are more up-to-date as far as renovation and comfort are concerned, than the Llabeny, and because they are right smack on the Gran Vía, you wouldn't have the traffic and access problem I mention above. You can also try the Gran Hotel Canarias which is right across the street from the Westin Palace on the Paseo del Prado, which makes it very convenient to the museums as well, and it is less expensive than the Palace.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Archived