Disembarking Question

RCLFan

We are sailing the Mariner during the week of July 1. We have an opportunity to catch a departure flight after disembarking on the 8th from Orlando at 11:40 a.m.

Considering I'll need to rent a car, likely from either from Budget or Thrifty, which are both a shuttle ride from the pier to their offices, will I have enough time to catch that flight?

I'm figuring an hour for travel to Orlando once I have the car, and at least an hour to pick up the car (including shuttle, paperwork, etc.). Then another 30 minutes to return the car. Then allowing at least an hour for check in at the airport,that's 3.5 hours which means I need to be off the ship and through customs no later than 8:00 a.m. Allowing for some additional time, just for comfort sake, I'm thinking maybe 7:30 off the ship and through customs.

Assuming we take the bags ourselves, and not setting them out the night before, can this flight work?

Thanks.

You're only allowing 1 hour to check in at the airport...that may not be enough. I think the Orlando airport suggests at least 90 minutes.

I'd say it's awful tight. You're counting on the debarking process to start on time, which it may not, due to customs or other issues. It's a little closer than I'd do.

NO.

The Orlando airport is one of the worst and on a holiday week-end(people traveling for the 4th) it is going to be a full fledge mess. You are assuming that everything will do according to schedule and you know what happens when you assume things...

Just to offer some different experiences ...

We have done self-disembarkation (kept our luggage in our room on Saturday night and hauled it off ourselves on Sunday morning) on Mariner, and were sitting on the curb waiting for our ride at 7:35 am. If there aren't any delays in the ship arriving, or in Customs, you could probably be in your rental car by 8 am, and at MCO by 8:45 - 9:00 am. Sunday traffic is typically very light. There is bound to be much more traffic going to the beach than towards the city.

We have found that MCO isn't so bad if travelling on the weekend. DH experiences loooong delays if he is flying out on an early AM flight Monday through Friday, but lately he's been through security in under 20 minutes.

Archived