Great deals on December Caribbean!

avalon1025

Hi all,

I have had a sailing booked for some months (got an amazing deal on a Dec 15th Pride Sailing), and was going back and forth as flying to Barbados was so expensive from the west coast...American is having a sale $360 from SF to Barbados one way...I jumped on it! Can't wait to get on the Pride again! Now for the hotel, anyone stay in the Hilton in Bridgetown? It seems close to t e ship. Its not Sandy Lane, but its not $1000/night either...Thanks!

Hi, Avalon. That is a spectacular price from the West coast! I am on the Pride Nov. 17 - Dec. 1, 2007 and will fly from LAX to Barbados. I was on the Pride December '06 for a week, also to the southern Caribbean, and stayed at the Hilton in a "day room" after disembarking from the ship early, until my plane left later in the day. I absolutely loved the hotel. They gave me a beautiful ocean front room with balcony, and that is what I've booked for my trip back to Barbados later in the year. I liked their beach and pool especially. I plan to stay there a few days pre-cruise to get in a little pool time and some scuba dives.

I thought the Hilton was extremely expensive, but if you're comparing it to Sandy Lane, you probably wouldn't think so! Since I drink a lot of bottled water, I think I'll stop at the store on my way to the hotel and get some, so I don't have to pay $8 a bottle (that's what it came to, tip included). But the hotel, the beach and the pool were beautiful; I loved it and I can't wait to go back. They also have an on-site dive shop, and that was a factor in making my choice.

My last trip to Barbados, I stayed at a charming little hotel on the other side of the island called Peach and Quiet. Two reasons I would not go back: the rooms had no A/C, and I was eaten alive by mosquitoes on the property. Other than that, it was one of the most beautiful settings I've ever seen; a very small, quaint hotel, only 22 rooms. Their pool was smack dab on the ocean, the view was spectacular; but I couldn't handle the stifling rooms.

Jane :)

Hi James,

I certainly have missed our "Gilligan's Island Three Day Tour" Pride sailing's~~didn't we all have a blast? And I miss Seabourn sailing out of New York City!

I have stayed at The Coconut Court Beach Resort in Barbados several times. It's not the Ritz......but a small, very friendly family owned hotel. They also have a driver that will fetch you at the airport and then take you to the cruise terminal. I have James Best (Front Desk) and the Hunte's (Transportation) e-mail addresses. If you are interested just e-mail me.

I was aboard the Pride last Dec. and Jan. It's a great time of the year to be in the Caribbean.

Hope all is well with you!:p

Martita

I may be wrong Pinkie but from their Web Site but it looks like all rooms have AC unlike Peach and Quiet.

Coconut Court Beach Hotel has 120 rooms of which 60 rooms have been completely refurbished in September 2005. These rooms now include A/C, satellite TV, king size beds, safes, irons and boards, extending lighted bathroom mirrors, hairdryers and have private ocean view balconies. The other rooms all have balconies either overlooking the Caribbean Sea or the tropical gardens. All rooms (except Beachfront Superior Studios which have kitchens) are equipped with twin beds, microwaves, refrigerators, toasters, electric kettles, telephones, AM/FM radios and private showers. They can accommodate 2 to 4 persons depending on category.
http://www.coconut-court.com/accommodation.cfm

And their rates are not bad, I would have stayed there had I been able to get a flight in mid-week.

Blackie,

Yes, all the rooms have A/C.~~~there is a neat open-air restaurant and bar area where the guests meet and greet. Last Dec. I met a photographer from L.A. and his bathing beauty models at the bar one evening~~quite charming. The "Coconut" is a perfect place to stay if traveling solo! The beach area is private and is beautiful!

The hotel has just undergone renovations.

Pinkie:p

Amazing price from SF to Barbados! We're on the 12/15 cruise on the Pride and coming from Phoenix. There's just no easy way to get to Barbados :(. Plus, it's expensive. I've done a lot of online searching but perhaps someone has a suggestion for flights that we've not thought of????

We stayed at the Hilton pre-cruise last October and it is a beautiful hotel. It is on the beach and the ocean is truly gorgeous with white sand. We've already booked it for one night as our December pre-cruise hotel. Due to the cost, I wouldn't stay there for several days.

Thanks everyone! For the flight, I booked American and they seem to own the Cairbbean. Its an overnight flight connecting in Miami, but United had me flying to Toronto and connecting (ugh!, too long!). I mde a reservation at the Hilton for the one night (just to make life easy), not too bad $280/night plus tax....if I hit the lottery I switch to Sandy Lane! Thanks again and hope to se some of you onboard the Pride Dec.15th!

>"That is a spectacular price from the West coast!"

Deals, schmeals. I don't care about the price, but the connections from Philly to Barbados are getting impossible. I am now thinking it's easier to fly to Heathrow and then to BGI. Ok, it's longer, but one stop and I would get more miles. I would like to use some USAir miles, but they seem to be forsaking the Carribean. I would like to avoid Miami as well. It seems that some of the Carribean airlines have shut down or merged. It never used to be this difficult.

EastCoast Jane ranting and raving

Great Hotel.

I am not sure the price is worth the experience to me personally, but it has a very loyal following.

BTW, good to hear from you again. Still think about our late night cigars.

Same here! Hopefully we will cross paths on a seabourn ship again! Hope you are well!

James

Jane, you are right that the connections and fares to BGI seem to be impossible. I was looking this morning to see what I could find if I book to some of the major hubs and then go on from there. Anyway I look at it right now, the connections are not great.

US Airways said that they might add more flights! As of right now, they don't offer a flight on Dec 13th from Phoenix which would necessitate another night's lodging (perhaps that's not all that bad, eh?). It's just hard to take time off work :mad:

If anyone comes across some other ideas...please let us know ;)

I am a regular at P&Q and will be staying there for a few days before and after a Seabourn cruise in December 07. Margaret will happily provide a floor fan to supplement the overhead fans in the rooms...that works for me as I hate A/C. The breeze from the fans also keeps the mozzies off.

I have seen rooms at the Hilton come up for prices as low as $149US on the Hotwire website...even though the hotel is not identified by name, it's pretty easy to identify as the Hilton - go to http://www.betterbidding.com and check out the pinned list of hotels.

• 3 weeks later...
Amazing price from SF to Barbados! We're on the 12/15 cruise on the Pride and coming from Phoenix. There's just no easy way to get to Barbados :(. Plus, it's expensive. I've done a lot of online searching but perhaps someone has a suggestion for flights that we've not thought of????

Tennisbunny,

I recently booked this sailing also, and am thinking to fly out of JFK on JamaicaAir as they they fly nonstop to Bridgetown AND appear to be about $400/person cheaper than American on business class fares. I don't know if it's too late for you now, but it's an idea.

Bechi

The Air Jamaica flight is always the one that Customs look at with interest

I didn't think of that! However, the arrangements I have in mind are departing JFK on Air Jamaica and that returning from Ft. Lauderdale on Continental. There shouldn't be any customs delays leaving the US, should there?

Naively,

Bechi

Archived