St. Maarten Jeweler Recommendations?

DebP

I've been going to Joe's Jewelry International for years and I always leave that store very happy. I always go to see Raj, and I am looking forward to another visit in 4 weeks. They have several locations in St. Maarten, one being 66 Front Street. I stopped going to the cruise recommended stores years ago when I found out they actually "shake down" these merchants for their "cut." It reminds me of how other "shady" characters do business and I want no part of it. I can actually get a better deal from Joe's since they no longer pay the cruise lines, and I am very happy they stood up for themselves and said NO to the big boys in charge of the marketing, etc. on the cruise lines.

Another vote for Joe's Jewelry. I upgrade my diamond stud earrings every time I go and my husband gets to sip a couple of cold brews during the transaction. Everyone is happy! Plus they send us Christmas Cookies every year.

A different thread lists lots of names of jewelers on St. Thomas, though many people believe St. Maarten is the better stop for gem stones. I'm thinking tanzanite and/or diamond slide or ring. Any recommendations? Also, what time do the jewelry stores close?

Word of warning about Ballerina Jewelers (53 Unit 2 Front Street). They sold me damaged jewelry that I didn't know about until I had them appraised.

Word of warning about Ballerina Jewelers (53 Unit 2 Front Street). They sold me damaged jewelry that I didn't know about until I had them appraised.

Is this your blue diamond ring from a couple years ago?

Perhaps I can help.

gary

Is this your blue diamond ring from a couple years ago?

Perhaps I can help.

gary

Yes. I had an appraisal done within 30 days of my return from the cruise, so the chips aren't recent, they've been there since the beginning. The appraisal states, "Externally, one diamond is moderately chipped. Externally, three diamonds are heavily chipped." So 4 chipped diamonds. Sigh.

jessicazi,

Contact Ballerina here:

Attn Mr Tony.

Us Direct 213 291 8533.

St. Maarten 011 59954-24425.

If you have your original purchase receipt available it would be of assistance.

If for any reason you can't connect with them you could forward your contact information to me (e-mail is in profile) and I will ensure that they contact you.

gary

I have extra advice for jewelery shopping. Take their price on the tag and offer them one quarter of what it says, thats probably a decent price. if you someohow end up paying more than half of the price tag it is paying too much.:). So all the 40% off coupons can go out the window...

to avoid looking like favoritism i will list all the jewelry stores and salespeople names i have bought from in st maarten starting with the one ive bought most from:

Rays jewelery (Seppan). My wifes wedding rings and various earings etc.

Caribbean Gems (Manu). Necklaces, and my dad bought lots of stuff for my mom there

Joes jewelery (Adesh). Small ring there bracelet and watch there

Venetian (Ben). My wedding band x2 (lost the first one) and small topaz earings/necklace.

I had good experience with all of them

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from there and found the prices great. Im glad to see Joes is one place that everyone is saying is good, because my boyfriend and i saw a engagement ring there and want to go back. Everyone here at home keeps asking are you sure its real. So I will be going back especially to Joes they were very nice and he had what i wanted. Just didnt expect to such a great deal and didnt have the funds at the time. Start saving honey.......

It never ceases to amaze me that so many otherwise intelligent people actually believe that they can "steal" high-end jewelry while shopping in the Caribbean, more specifically cruise ship ports. Similar threads arise often ... here's my post on another one. It was a bit more specific (Diamonds International in St. Thomas), but the message is the same, irrespective of the merchant or location ... nobody's giving anything away down there. Please read and heed ...

"I'd like to try and sum things up as succinctly and directly as possible. My background includes years in jewelry-related businesses, so I think I'm qualified to do so. Here goes ...

"To answer the OP's question in a word ... NO! There are no bargains at DI or any other Caribbean jeweler. Gold and diamond prices are essentially universal, so nobody gets a big enough break to sell you high-end jewelry for pennies on the dollar, as they'd want you to believe. Your only guaranteed saving is the sales tax. This could be significant for some ... maybe a few hundred dollars, depending on where you live ... but if you think that you can pick up that $5000 sparkler for $2000 in the Caribbean, you're sadly mistaken.

"Grading is huge! Most diamonds sold in the US are certified by the Gemological Institute of America (GIA). As with anything involving the human element, there's a bit of subjectivity ... but overall, it's the benchmark. Most diamonds sold in cruise ship ports carry European Gemological Laboratory (EGL) paperwork, if any at all. That organization's standards are far more imprecise then GIA's ... in layman's terms, diamonds are usually graded higher than they should be. In the instance of color and clarity, for example, a stone labeled SI-1, H color using GIA criteria could well be graded VS-1, F color by EGL standards. That could be a difference of close to 20% in price, meaning that you'd be paying for a better diamond, while actually getting one of lesser quality. Do you really want to take that chance? Rule of thumb: if there is no GIA certificate, don't touch it.

"Appraisals are useless when determining value. They're issued by the merchant for insurance purposes, and in no way indicate what the piece is actually worth. As long as you're willing to pay the premium, you can insure it for pretty much any amount you wish. Incidentally, most carriers will opt to replace the lost or stolen item, rather than cut a check ... it's much less expensive for them, another indication that the "appraised value" is nothing more than a number on which they base the cost to insure it. Once again (and for the umpteenth time), if you purchase a ring for $2000, and the appraisal is for $4000, it does not (repeat, DOES NOT) mean that you bought it for half-price. This is the most common misconception about jewelry purchases in the Caribbean.

"Recommended" merchants such as DI pay big bucks to the cruise lines, as well as commission to the "port and shopping guides." This is the reason that retailers ask what ship you're on. FYI, these "guides" go out of their way to appear as if they're employees of the cruise lines ... they're not. They are actually independent contractors, whose income is derived from the sales they generate at the "recommended" shops. They are generally free to negotiate their own compensation arrangements, and can earn a substantial living. You'll almost always see them in port, churning the waters and encouraging passengers to "shop 'til they drop." If such a job appeals to you, you too can become an expert shopper by attending this school ... http://www.portshopping.com. Take a look ... it's quite revealing.

"Hopefully, we can put this thing to bed ... although I doubt it."

Think abut it ... if there really were fire-sale prices down there, every jeweler in the US would be buying their inventory in the Caribbean. A recent consumer survey concluded that the best prices for diamond jewelry can be found at ... are you ready ... Sam's Club! How great is that ... you can pick up an engagement ring, along with that 55 gal. drum of mayonnaise, in one trip.

"Caveat emptor" ... "If it looks too good to be true ..." ... however you put it, you're not getting anywhere near the deals you think you are. But if you like it, and are comfortable with the price, buy it to enjoy ... but don't think for a moment that you "stole" it.

Al

• 1 month later...
jessicazi,

Contact Ballerina here:

Attn Mr Tony.

Us Direct 213 291 8533.

St. Maarten 011 59954-24425.

If you have your original purchase receipt available it would be of assistance.

If for any reason you can't connect with them you could forward your contact information to me (e-mail is in profile) and I will ensure that they contact you.

gary

Ballerina has been great to work with and I am going to ship them my two pieces with the appraisals. I can't get a response from Grand though.

• 1 month later...

We have been shopping at Kay's Jewelers for years. It is of no relation to the Kay's Jewelers in the US. They have stores at the pier and downtown. I had bought a fire opal bracelet there and the stone chipped and fell out after a couple of years. I bought it to the store, with the receipt and they did not have a stone of a matching color in stock, so they kept the bracelet and mailed it back, with a new stone a month later- they gave me a receipt when they kept the bracelet. The salesman even called me to make sure the new stone was agreeable to me- all this done at no charge.

Looking for a jewelery store in St. Maartan that sells flip rings. It is a reversable ring with a stone ie:diamond and you flip it and it has another stone ie: ruby. Seen them in Jamaica a few years ago now the wife would like to buy one in St. Maartan next week if we can find one. Thanks

• 2 months later...
Ballerina has been great to work with and I am going to ship them my two pieces with the appraisals. I can't get a response from Grand though.

Update: I have had numerous problems with Ballerina since I wrote this post. It took them over 3 months to get my jewelry back to me. I shipped it to their office in California, where they, at first, refused to fix the jewelry that was uninsurable. Then they took several more weeks to fix the jewelry, but in the meantime shipped my items to St. Martin without my knowledge or permission. I just received the jewelry a few days ago and now I am being sent a bill for customs and advancement fees as they shipped my items from St. Martin! Unbelievable. I have yet to have my items reappraised, but with the track record of Ballerina, I am not confident that my items were replaced or repaired so as to now be insurable.

Update: I have had numerous problems with Ballerina since I wrote this post. It took them over 3 months to get my jewelry back to me. I shipped it to their office in California, where they, at first, refused to fix the jewelry that was uninsurable. Then they took several more weeks to fix the jewelry, but in the meantime shipped my items to St. Martin without my knowledge or permission. I just received the jewelry a few days ago and now I am being sent a bill for customs and advancement fees as they shipped my items from St. Martin! Unbelievable. I have yet to have my items reappraised, but with the track record of Ballerina, I am not confident that my items were replaced or repaired so as to now be insurable.

Obviously, you shouldn't be required to pay ANY charges for the repair of a defective product.

That said, any Customs and Advancement Fee should only be based on the cost of the repair, not the value of the item, itself. I'm assuming that you reported the value on your customs declaration when you originally brought the piece into the country?

If this was shipped Fedex, I would quote from their website:

Please note: As per the contract of carriage with FedEx®, the shipper

is ultimately liable for any duties and taxes assessed on the

shipment. If the recipient refuses the package or the recipient or

third party FedEx account holder refuses to pay for duties and taxes,

the original shipper will be billed for duties and taxes.

FedEx Advancement Fee:

In some circumstances FedEx is required to pay certain duties and

taxes, in advance, on our customers’ behalf. For instance, FedEx may

pay an advance fee when countries require that duties and taxes

be paid prior to customs’ release or prior to certain items clearing

customs. In these circumstances, FedEx will assess an Advancement

Fee surcharge that will be billed to you, the shipper or to the party

designated to pay duties and taxes.

gary

I had already paid customs when I originally brought everything back into the USA in 2009. I paid about $8k for everything. I have emailed Ballerina and have not heard a response. So should I contact FedEx and tell them I am refusing to pay any charges as I never shipped my items to St. Marten and that I was never aware my items were being sent outside of the country?

Obviously, you shouldn't be required to pay ANY charges for the repair of a defective product.

That said, any Customs and Advancement Fee should only be based on the cost of the repair, not the value of the item, itself. I'm assuming that you reported the value on your customs declaration when you originally brought the piece into the country?

If this was shipped Fedex, I would quote from their website:

Please note: As per the contract of carriage with FedEx®, the shipper

is ultimately liable for any duties and taxes assessed on the

shipment. If the recipient refuses the package or the recipient or

third party FedEx account holder refuses to pay for duties and taxes,

the original shipper will be billed for duties and taxes.

FedEx Advancement Fee:

In some circumstances FedEx is required to pay certain duties and

taxes, in advance, on our customers’ behalf. For instance, FedEx may

pay an advance fee when countries require that duties and taxes

be paid prior to customs’ release or prior to certain items clearing

customs. In these circumstances, FedEx will assess an Advancement

Fee surcharge that will be billed to you, the shipper or to the party

designated to pay duties and taxes.

gary

I was recently in St. Maarten on a Disney Magic Cruise and purchased an expensive diamond ring from Diamonds International. Back home, I had an appraisal done for insurance purposes, and found out the ring appraised $14,000 below retail, and I could have purchased a similar diamond for $20,000 less. Diamonds International would not accept the appraisal when contacted, and so I went to an independent lab with a GIA graduate gemologist who confirmed the ring could only appraise for $12,000 BELOW purchase price, and again retail was $20,000 + less than we paid. D.I. will not accept this appraisal also, and has refused our request to return the ring. Disney Magic shopping expert Whitney met us at D.I. during the purchase and assured us our salesperson David was straight up and there was no room for negotiating. Whiteny assured us that we were getting the best deal possible. D.I. is one of Disney's "trusted sellers" and guarantees your purchase (only against defects). Whitney will not return my emails and Disney has referred us to PPI Group who did not return phone calls. --- To answer your question.... do not buy from trusted sellers even when the Disney name is behind them. The fine print makes it impossible to return anything even if you are scammed. Buy jewelry locally, and use a major credit card.

NewCruiser, that's really a shame. I would be beside myself with anger.

With all the information available through this and other websites about how to prepare to shop for diamonds, it's a shame this can happen to anyone.

With the price of quality diamonds approaching the cost of a house 30 years ago, it only makes sense to bone-up on ones' knowledge prior to such a

purchase.

Websites such as Pricescope, Diamondreview, Colorediamondsinfo,..... the information is available from participants in the forums that are eager to

share their experience with quality diamond purchases. They do it on a daily basis......just folks willing to help educate someone so they can make the

right decisions about their purchase.

Sorry for your experience.

One way to resolve this would be to use their trade in policy for a different diamond, this time one that has been graded by GIA or AGS and NO ONE

ELSE. It wouldn't ease the pain of this transaction but it will put a diamond on your finger you would be proud to wear!

Edited by satbeachbill

with a negative report.Hard to believe that there was that big a difference between purchase price and appraisal. I don't buy at DI but that report doesn't ring true to me. Could be the op works for another jeweler.

I know it sounds like a silly question, but I just want to be certain that I can pay by credit card.

Yes, only pay with a major credit card that will help protect your purchase if you have a problem. We were scammed by Diamonds International for over $20,000 recently. Visa has been our advocate in dealing with them. Another word of advice if you don't mind, don't buy jewelry on a cruise unless you have done your homework back home first. I've read too many horror stories about experiences and now I am going through one myself. Deal with some reputable store locally, and shop around. Check out ripoffreport.com, and complaintsboard.com for Diamonds International and others.

with a negative report.Hard to believe that there was that big a difference between purchase price and appraisal. I don't buy at DI but that report doesn't ring true to me. Could be the op works for another jeweler.

This was a large solitare diamond bought for a once in a life time purchase. I'm not exaggerating in anyway, and I've got the paperwork to prove it. I have two appraisals as stated above. I wouldn't be here to warn people if we were only off $1,000-$2,000 dollars. I dealt directly with David at the Philipsburg store of Diamonds International. Now, I'm going through hell.

I do not like DI at all. I've always thought their prices were high and merchandise just ok. On the other hand, I have shopped at Grand Jewelers for years. Micki is awesome. He treats me with respect and doesn't try to scam you. We can phone his 800 number if we have any problems or questions. I have bought 3 diamond rings 2 tennis bracelets, diamond earrings, a watch, a watch for my sons college graduation and every time I've been more than satisfied. My friend has been dealing with him for 10 years, she even gets a Christmas card!! I once had a baguette fall out and he had me mail it to a shop in NYC and it was repaired and sent back free of charge. That's the only defect I have ever had. Going back in March for something else! OH....and while I may spend $2000 or so....anyone who spends more than $20,000 on jewelry while on a cruise is looking for trouble. Spending that kind of money, I want to be able to walk in the front door and confront them if there is a problem.